Eugene

3D performance on JVC DLA vs BENQ DLP vs LG OLED?

Hi all,

Thanks in advance for your opinions and answers.

I'm upgrading my Benq w3000 to a JVC DLA-x7900 - yay. I was hoping to get some opinions as to whether people are happy with the 3D performance of the JVC DLA projectors.

Background is I have had an LG OLED for quite some time, and I really enjoy the occasional 3D blu-ray on it. I have around 15-20 3D titles (though must be said I don't watch them that frequently, mainly holding them as I think my kids would enjoy them when they get a bit older). So, when  I got my BENQ projector, I bought a few pairs of glasses - and I must say I don't like the 3D performance anywhere near as much. Not being technical/savvy about these things, I'm not sure what I don't like about it, but I find the motion pretty ordinary (when there is a still or slow moving image, then I think it looks fine, but anything moderate to fast moving, looks pretty "flickery"). I'm not sure if I have optimised the settings, however there aren't too many things to play with in the menu.

Anyway, with the upgrade to the JVC, I was wondering if people had an opinion as to the 3D performance of this compared to the BENQ. I understand the BENQ, being a DLP projector, actually should have less "crosstalk" and "ghosting". I also understand the JVC refresh/Hz rate is low-ish?? Does this mean I'll find the JVC 3D performance even worse than the BENQ?? Or do people find the JVC better for whatever reason? The 3D glasses for the JVC are priced a bit over the top (though I understand there are third party options, I understand the polarisation might be a problem if one day I get a screen that retains polarisation), so I want to research the potential investment as much as possible.

Thanks for your opinions and advice!

I've been VERY happy with 3D, I saw a slight... step back from epson LCD to jvc x35 only in that the jvc needed some 20 min for panels to warm up for a slight hallo/shadow to disappear (noticeable on very white scenes eg the snow jumping blu-ray). after 20 min (could be less) which it was a treat. this is just about non existent with jvc x7000 ie the warm up time. so just sit back and enjoy :)

that said there are other aspects to 3D ie how large your screen have you got enough output for screen in question. also check no motion interpolation and such turned on, I personally dont like any of that sort of gimmickry. the other aspects wiht the jvc is pure PQ, colours contrast, clarity, detail etc were a steep jump up from epson or even jvc prior so been no looking back for me :) check out something like everest... looks stunning ... some scenes are SO realistic... it gives that feeling of heights/depth you get if not that comfortable with heights :D 

Posted (edited)

Best 3D movie to check 3D performance is the 3D version of Happy Feet, that can be a nightmare of a movie to reproduce in 3D.

If any problems, they will show up BIG TIME with this title.

I'm up to 120+ 3D titles....why not if you have a decent 3D TV /PJ ?

Happy Feet and EVEREST are the two 'Tester' disc's to use....It's mainly down to the amount of high bightness on the screen at any one time, 3D doesn't like White/Bright.

I should add, that not all 3D discs are made equal, some are done really well, others, SoSo, and a few are in the AVOID category.

You can find a decent rating for each 3D title at the Bluray Forum/ 3D discs

https://www.blu-ray.com/3d/

Edited by Tweaky

Best pop out 3d effects I’ve ever seen is the animated movie A Turtles Tale. Just jaw dropping it will have the kids and you reaching out to grab things

9 minutes ago, T800 said:

Best pop out 3d effects I’ve ever seen is the animated movie A Turtles Tale. Just jaw dropping it will have the kids and you reaching out to grab things

if you want turtles the imax undersea is something amazing. follow a turtle around so close can just about touch it. and then chase school of fish around the room...what daughter used to do when younger :D  awesome undersea 3D :)

I love anything 3D since childhood so I am very sad to see the format gone. 

Currently having a few 3D capable devices like OP. A LG 4K Oled, Benq W1070, W3000 and JVC X9900.

I have to say 3D on LG 4K Oled is simply perfect. If all devices can do 3D like this I don't think the format will die off so soon. Early FHD panels does not have enough pixels to do passive 3D justice and actives are simply too dim. But 4K panels arrived too late to save the format as most people have already turned off by the various shortcomings of early devices and won't look back. 

I remember watching one 3D scene with nothing but a flying drone and it is so life like that I swear I am seeing a real drone flying mid air inches in front of me. The experience is simply breath taking.    

For pj I am afraid the situation of 3D is kind of disappointing. 3D on W1070 is pretty bad and limited until the 1.08 firmware update. It then can handle all 3D formats I care to throw at it. I must say the 3D effect is perfect and solid. No worst than 2D but dimmer of course. 

I tried to replace my W1070 with W3000 because it has other shortcomings like noisy clicking fans, dimmer right side, lower right corner blur, light bleed and so on. I thought all DLP can handle 3D equally well but no. 3D bluray on W3000 is a big mess. I bet the problem is that the left and right images just won't display at the exact same time so the 3D image wobble like hell with motion. Sometimes switching L/R images help solve the problem temporary but it can turn bad again anytime and no simple fix unless Benq release a firmware that never came. There is a slight advance in PQ but a few step backs comparing to W1070 and most of the shortcomings I mentioned before still exist. I bet they share the same basic design and inherit most of its unwanted flaws. 

I found the playback of 3D mkv files from PC with output set to 60Hz somehow helps fixing the wobble problem. But since all 3D bluray are 24Hz frame packing so that simply means I can't watch any 3D disc on it.

Although JVC gives a higher PQ and brighter picture than Benq, the situation with 3D is similar to W3000 but luckily in a much lesser degree. With 60Hz the 3D is mostly fine but some uneasy wobble and sickness associated with 3D bluray at 24Hz. There are many menu options that helps 3D perceptions so you may need to take your time to explore. 

My screen does not retain polarization so I can use other brands of 3D glasses with no ill effect. I have a few pairs of Samsung, Panasonic, Sony and JVC. Samsung is the cheapest but also less impressive in contrast and brightness. Panasonic and Sony are good but JVC is a little step better. If not comparing them side by side I think even Samsung is perfectly watchable. I bought them mostly off ebay for cheap.   

Thanks for the replies so far, very useful.

Just hooked-up the JVC last night and very happy so far. I probably will take the plunge on the 3D and see how it goes!

Posted (edited)

I wonder what Cameron will do with the Avatar sequels, release in 3D or not. That could spark renewed interest.

I love 3D on the projector though. I have been rewatching so many (including all the Marvel ones), and am actually hard pressed thinking of any where I prefer the UHD over it. Most are on equal or slightly in favor of the 3D to me. I'm actually surprised how well some of the older ones fare on the newer 4K HDR capable devices, ones that got bad reviews. For example Priest. I admit, on my old Sony TV it was a struggle (edge lighting is an abomination), but I didn't have any issues with visibility, depth, clarity, the entire movie. Same with Thor. And both those on 3d release were pretty well panned on release.

EDIT: OK looks like the Avatar films will all be 3D:

https://vfxblog.com/2018/05/27/james-cameron-3d-avatar-creatures-ai-terminator-commentary/

Edited by Mobe1969

32 minutes ago, Mobe1969 said:

I wonder what Cameron will do with the Avatar sequels, release in 3D or not. That could spark renewed interest.

I love 3D on the projector though. I have been rewatching so many (including all the Marvel ones), and am actually hard pressed thinking of any where I prefer the UHD over it. Most are on equal or slightly in favor of the 3D to me. I'm actually surprised how well some of the older ones fare on the newer 4K HDR capable devices, ones that got bad reviews. For example Priest. I admit, on my old Sony TV it was a struggle (edge lighting is an abomination), but I didn't have any issues with visibility, depth, clarity, the entire movie. Same with Thor. And both those on 3d release were pretty well panned on release.

Anything with CGI lends itself to 3d on my 7000e but did enjoy the early Ghost Rider 2 with Nick Cage the other day [don't judge :)  ]

The 3d reproduction of water is very difficult with refraction and the like so am eager to see what Cameron does when Avatar2 releases in 2020 .The JVC doesn't have the smoothness of my previous Epson tw3000 due to its faster glasses refresh rate but it makes up for this with its higher calibrated brightness in 3d mode [ the Epson had plenty of lumens but not when you calibrated the picture with a decent colour preset ]

We hear they'll also be journeying beyond the forests of Pandora into underwater and volcanic video game levels environments that Cameron promises will make "you s**t yourself with your mouth wide open". That's supposed to be a good thing, we think...

21 hours ago, PKK said:

For pj I am afraid the situation of 3D is kind of disappointing. 3D on W1070 is pretty bad and limited until the 1.08 firmware update. It then can handle all 3D formats I care to throw at it. I must say the 3D effect is perfect and solid. No worst than 2D but dimmer of course. 

Yes the BenQ W1070 was a solid performer for 24fps frame-packed 3D. When it was released in 2013, the 144Hz alternation rate was a big leap in performance for a cheap domestic projector.

However the W1070 had an annoyingly bright minimum black level, ordinary to poor (in my opinion) colour, a noisy fan; and if it ever had to be used, a rather low fidelity built-in speaker.

22 hours ago, PKK said:

I tried to replace my W1070 with W3000 because it has other shortcomings like noisy clicking fans, dimmer right side, lower right corner blur, light bleed and so on. I thought all DLP can handle 3D equally well but no. 3D bluray on W3000 is a big mess. I bet the problem is that the left and right images just won't display at the exact same time so the 3D image wobble like hell with motion. Sometimes switching L/R images help solve the problem temporary but it can turn bad again anytime and no simple fix unless Benq release a firmware that never came. There is a slight advance in PQ but a few step backs comparing to W1070 and most of the shortcomings I mentioned before still exist. I bet they share the same basic design and inherit most of its unwanted flaws. 

I have never seen a BenQ W3000 in operation. However, I have read a number of reviews of that model that report good 3D performance. Some people have reported having problems with syncing their 3D glasses.

Your problems with your W3000 appear to have been quite severe and I wonder whether you may have had a faulty unit.

@PKK, I cannot agree with your overall comment "For pj I am afraid the situation of 3D is kind of disappointing.".  I have recently acquired a BenQ W2000 projector (having given up hope of a large screen fast Left Right alternation rate OLED 3D set coming onto the market this year). I have been very pleased with the performance of the W2000.  The contrast is better than with my old W1070 projector (with the minimum black level not nearly as worrying), the colour is good, and the fan noise is distinctly less noticeable. If they ever have to be used, the built-in speakers are of passable quality. 

As for any inappropriate timing offsets between Left and Right (something I happen to be rather sensitive to) I have found the performance with 24fps frame-packed 3D to be just as smooth with BenQ 144Hz glasses, as was my old W1070 projector.

Perhaps I have been lucky in striking a W2000 that performs well. (I was unlucky with my current Sony 4K passive 3D set. It has a high level of crosstalk, which I attribute to poor alignment of the film-type patterned retarder.)

All the best for the 3D performance of your JVC DLA-x7900!