StereoCoffee LDR Owners & Discussion Thread

Thanks Rob.  I purchased the volume knob off eBay (see link below).  The RCA input sockets are Rean NYS367 from x-on.  RCA output sockets are ETI Research FR-T07.  If I had the cash though, I'd make them all WBT-0210 Cu RCA sockets.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/35x16x6mm-Silver-Tone-Solid-Aluminum-Hifi-Speaker-Radio-Volume-Knobs-CT/302098938227?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I am one of the recent owners of the StereoCoffee LRD Preamplifier. I learned about this product from a colleague and friend, Anton, who is also into the audio hobby.

In the beginning I was not sure if about purchasing the kit from Chris, until I heard my friend's system.  It sounded really good! It was a good thing I was in search for a good preamp so I requested my friend to purchase for me and even assemble it.

Upon connecting it to my setup, the change was quite apparent and I was very, very happy. I wrote an email to Chris describing the music as alive and gave me goosebumps. The sound was so real the instruments were clearly defined, and the singer, oh my gosh, it was so real I can feel the texture of the voice. The only time I experienced this realism was when I listened to my long gone Mastersound Duventi SET amp and Cayin CDT-17a tube CDP combo.

Unlike the all-tube setup though, the noise floor with the LRD preamp was zero, totally black background. Which is probably why the music presentation is so present and alive. Considering it, the cost of my entire setup now including speakers and source is just a little bit within the combined cost of just the two items, the Duventi and the Cayin CDP, and I am getting the same performance. Imagine that!

I told myself this will be the last preamp that I will own and will not look for anything else. I am getting old in this hobby and I feel it is time to settle down and find the products that will stay with me for the rest of my life.  The StereoCoffee LRD Preamplifier is one of the chosen products for me. The other one is the pair MarkAudio floorstanders made by Anton.

Thank you Chris for always being helpful, never failing to answer emails and for the patience in accompanying me all the way. You're actually one of the big reasons why people love you preamp.

Cheers mate!

• Like 2

Hi Nolan.

I had the pleasure of meeting Chris for the first time at Brisbane airport two weeks ago. We had a chance to chat for a couple of hours two weeks ago and I am now waiting for my new 2019 board to arrive.

My brain is still spinning from the amount of LDR development detail Chris generously shared with me. Interestingly, none of the upgrades have involved the signal side of the LDRs but are confined to the power/control board.

I believe he is supplying Prebuilt 3 Input StereoCoffees for non DIYers and also a remote volume control model. I'm sticking with my DIY version but if they are under $600 that sounds like a bargain to me, especially when you take into account a Hammond case, interconnects and power pack.

This will be my 10th upgrade so I will let you know how it sounds with my ER Audio hybrid ESLs and biamped Hypex nCores. This system reveals everything ...good and bad.

I am one of many LDR attenuator fanatics who don't quite get how Chris has managed to take the sound of SC to such a high level without upgrading the LDR board.

His recent post in the DIY forum has helped me understand the basics of his approach and I'm looking forward to the follow ups. This is a MUST for owners and DIYers to read!

• 4 weeks later...

I am not a technical person but managed put Chris’s marvelous creation in a box. I am enjoying the music from my system now as if I am listening to live music. The separation of instruments, vocal clarity and sound stage have been immensely improved. Thanks Chris. You patiently educated me during this journey. My next upgrade is the power supply. Here are a few photos. 

5465D76C-0BA0-435B-BB5C-559FBD65F901.jpeg

EE28F573-0C20-4877-958B-A2DE6A5021D2.jpeg

5393B454-E6BA-4BC8-8C38-D35F80D53BC5.jpeg

Edited by singleendedamp
  • Like 3

Great job!

You must have spent an enormous amount of time building  your case.

Looks like you have a couple of highly customised LDR boards  working away there.

I have great difficulty describing the sound I am experiencing because it seems to have reached a stage where the LDR attenuator takes no part and the sound comes directly from the source. Now I'm addicted to exploring different types of music after zillions of years listening to my favourite tracks. 

We are lucky to have Chris to educate us with our projects so willingly.

Cheers,

Rob

• Like 1

Hi, I have a DAC with a lossless digital volume control. I can connect this directly to a power amplifier. Would I gain anything by placing an LDR preamplifier in the signal path? Would it somehow isolate my power amplifier from any nasties emanating from my DAC? Essentially, would I gain anything and if so, why? Many thanks. 

12 hours ago, Peter350 said:

Hi, I have a DAC with a lossless digital volume control. I can connect this directly to a power amplifier. Would I gain anything by placing an LDR preamplifier in the signal path? Would it somehow isolate my power amplifier from any nasties emanating from my DAC? Essentially, would I gain anything and if so, why? Many thanks. 

Hi Hordur.

I have built several versions of an LDR attenuator designed in NZ and will admit I am totally biased and obsessed with LDR sound quality.

I had a similar query and asked Chris Daly whether using the integrated digital volume control in my Aries music server or my MacBook Pro would provide superior quality to the LDR I was in the process of building. I don't know why he didn't suggest I do a comparison for myself as I already had the equipment.

Chris, as I recall, explained that the DAC had a digitally controlled analog volume control, and that due to the conversion of digital to analog involving sampling the signal continuously in many volume steps, it couldn't approach the purity of the simple variable resistor within the LDR.

You really need to compare an LDR with your DAC and decide for yourself.  The thing I enjoy with my LDR is the smooth, detailed analog quality of the sound.

I notice you are in Wellington so Chris would probably be happy to provide a free loaner unit of his LDR, so you can make your own assessment without wasting any money.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Cheers,

Rob

3 minutes ago, robmid said:
Chris, as I recall, explained that the DAC had a digitally controlled analog volume control, and that due to the conversion of digital to analog involving sampling the signal continuously in many volume steps, it couldn't approach the purity of the simple variable resistor within the LDR.

That's really unusual and would have to be the exception today. The vast majority of DACs with volume control do the volume control in 32 bit space (192dB range) digitally before converting it to an analogue signal. There'd be no loss at all with such an approach compared to putting anything else in the signal path.

no.

unless you have a analogue source (tuner, turntable) an LDr would be good for that.

computer software such as audirvana has digital volume control at 64bit. 64BIT!!!!!!

onkyo app on iphone can also do 64bit volume control.

32bit volume control is pretty good perfect channel balance, low noise, less cables, less boxes, etc
i’m using the topping D50 and i can’t tell if there is loss of quality even at -40dB.

Many thanks for your replies. An audio buddy will be lending me an LDR preamp so I can have listen myself. I have heard it in his system and I found it to be amazing, clearly better than other preamps tested at the time.

With respect to digital volume control, have a read, this is great material:

http://www.esstech.com/files/3014/4095/4308/digital-vs-analog-volume-control.pdf

"Exquisitely well designed analog volume controls can still beat even the very best internal digital volume controls if they have a lower noise floor than the DAC itself."

On 31/10/2019 at 4:42 AM, Peter350 said:

Would I gain anything by placing an LDR preamplifier in the signal path?

In my previous reply I forgot to mention that Aries Lightning DS control settings and Aries user group recommend controlling volume externally for better quality by using the likes of a preamp rather than Lightning DS. 

Experimenting with the digital attenuation on my gear, I noticed a big tonal change while listening with the digital volume controls compared to LDR attenuation which I found more musical. The difference was most obvious when the firmware attenuation was disabled in Lightning DS.

I realise digital attenuation sports impressive figures, but to my ears, listening on an ESL/Hypex system the digital attenuation seemed to be lacking the essence of music that make LDRs so enjoyable and addictive.

In my opinion, you would gain something by replacing digital attenuation with LDR attenuation but results it will obviously differ depending on other equipment in the chain.

The only way to decide is to try the alternatives for yourself if you are able.

Cheers,

Rob

• Like 1

Thanks for your thoughts, Rob, much appreciated. I had the chance to try an LDR preamp today. It was DIY with no labeling. I connected it this way and that way, moved the selector switch back and forth but always silence. I sadly took it back to the owner in who's system it fortunately worked. What was the problem? Turned out there was a headphone adapter stuck into a headphone socket and this muted the sound from my source, argh....

I will attempt this again tomorrow, fingers crossed. 

• Like 1

Listening to the LDR preamp now. My first impressions are very favorable. It has a lovely presentation, very detailed yet relaxed and not in your face at all. It sounds very natural. Compared to connecting my dac directly to a power amp there seems to be an electronic haze that is somehow lifted. You would not notice that haze the way I have my system set up usually, but once the LDR is inserted in the chain it is clear to me that this haze was there, for whatever reason. Any downsides? My initial impression is that there is slightly less slam and definition in the bass, but I am not sure. 

This is kind of the holy grail of audio, more detail while at the same time sounding less fatiguing. Not perfect of course, nothing is but it is quite remarkable.

Edited by Peter350
  • Like 2

Thanks, Rob. I am enjoying the LDR and I feel like I want to pursue this further. I still think the bass slam is a bit less than it is without the preamp in the chain but the bass that I am getting is well defined and high quality. I will probably be ordering the kit and taking it from there.

I have had a look through some older threads from other forums about LDR preamps and found them quite interesting. There were useful posts from people who had actually used such a pre but there was a great deal of useless fluff from people who had not. 

I have been in the hobby long enough to simply trust my own ears and get on with it. 

The post August 2019 SC boards are major upgrades and much more dynamic than previous versions, so I'm predicting your bass might return.

Yes, it is interesting how LDRs still get canned by self proclaimed nameless electronics 'experts' on a certain DIY forum, when they have never even heard a properly designed LDR attenuator. They may not be compatible with every system but they are perfect for mine and obviously yours.

Have fun rediscovering all your albums! I have been rediscovering mine for two years and haven't finished yet.

Rob

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

On 12/11/2019 at 6:58 PM, robmid said:

WOW!

What a breathtaking  example of engineering and design. No doubt, the interior is perfection too.

Do you have LEDs in the knobs?

Cheers,

Rob

Sorry Rob, no LEDs in the knobs :)

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The first StereoCoffee boards I bought provided a very punchy sound but I also had LightSpeed and CloneNote and told Chris Daly that I preferred the CloneNote. About one month later another board arrived at my door with an invitation to try it out. I was able to A/B compare it to the others. Yes, it was a very noticeable improvement over the competition and has been improving since then but the 2020 version has reached a performance level I didn't think possible from any preamp.

Electronic ‘experts’ on multiple audio forums including this one, have been known to humiliate Chris Daly over his ever changing designs because he isn’t afraid to go beyond accepted theories and keeps experimenting with great success.

Critics  said it couldn't be done, but he did it anyway. I'm sure I would have given up.

Chris develops his StereoCoffee boards primarily for own enjoyment of music and I am very lucky to be able to enjoy the efforts of his constant experimentation as are many others. Owners already appreciate this.

Over the last two years I have followed StereoCoffee progress to the point where the music I am enjoying is so pure that descriptions like transparent, detailed, etc seem to have no relevance. This isn’t just a flat plane of recorded sound. The experience is more like being enveloped by reality not recordings.

NOTE: Only the power/control boards have been updated not the LDR boards.

I am obviously completely out of my depth trying to describe the sound I am enjoying from my system but here goes.

The sound is a rainforest like ATMOSPHERE... not a rainforest recording. Visualise a black night sky with a myriad of twinkling stars you can hear, total silence, occasional interludes of buzzing insects in the distance, harmonious bird sounds above a trickling brook. Distant human voices reverberating through trees and a frightening thunder crack that whacks you in the chest and a sudden downpour of tropical rain. Phew!

That's what I love.

It is worth remembering that the 2020 power/control board now utilises triacs and thyristors and performance improves into a perfectly balanced state after about 40 minutes of playing music, not just through it being powered up. It is uncanny how the sound improvement during warmup creeps up without you noticing, until you realise something very special has happened and everything just seems to have expanded as though any audio compression had been removed.

BUT, I also realise music from my ESL speakers don't punch out my Pink Floyd albums like my OTL 8 valve Son of Beast amp through VAF DC-X speakers that I have sadly sold. That was an off the planet experience too. My Holton with the StereoCoffee was also impressive with Pink Floyd and the VAFs.

Some systems suit vinyl others don't but the music I am experiencing has re-programmed my brain and I am in absolute awe of the beauty within music.

I paid $250 for my 2020 3 x input two board kit. Fully built units in a case are also available. Is it worth the upgrade.? YES.

My system: Integrated StereoCoffee/bi-amped 2xHYPEX NC122 nCores with internal Xlinks active crossover and 225hZ module. Freestanding Hybrid RM Audio 505 Mini ESL with Satori 6.5 inch mid/woofers in SB Acoustics ARA enclosure kits with tweeter blanked off.

Many thanks to all the DIY manufacturers in Australia, NZ and elsewhere. 

Cheers, Rob

new-board.jpg.0ad01e27fc5f81b2070828b10138387c.jpg

The ALL NEW 2020 StereoCoffee power/control board

amp-complete400.jpg.bce611dfac7c933941486c3e041bfb86.jpg

Left middle boards are 2019 StereoCoffee LDR board and 2020 power/control board.

Top and bottom boards on left are Xkitz active crossovers with 225hZ xover modules.

system2020x600.jpg.b3e15ec6b0a8dac462a5b579236e25a4.jpg

Edited by robmid
Added info
  • Like 5

Nice report/review on the latest Stereo Coffee LDR preamp Rob, you express yourself well and good to see the passion.:thumb:

In considering that the LDR approach is potentially one of the better ways to attenuate an audio signal, and if attenuation (cleanly) is the major goal here - what happens to your system Rob, when you remove the Stereo Coffee altogether. That is, when you try the CD player direct for example?

If like me when you do this and find that the soundstage flattens and the involvement in the music collapses, then  you have to assume that the Stereo Coffee is adding something good, or that the digital attenuation in all CD players is somehow flawed? We need to get to the bottom of this in order to answer why a good preamp is needed at all, to keep signal integrity.

I really want to take a sip (hear) one of these Stereo Coffees now. I am going to have to build one soon or can I twist your arm to send it over to me for an audition, Rob?

Cheers,

Steve.