StereoCoffee LDR Owners & Discussion Thread

Hi all. We are all very lucky that the StereoNet forum is moderated. Everyone here can have an opinion without being shot down by faceless people with an agenda.
Over the last week or so I have experiences first hand the chaos and continuous coordinated attacks on Chris Daly and anyone who says something positive about his StereoCoffee or contradicts the attacks on the DIY Audio forum. None of the attackers have heard a StereoCoffee or any other LDR attenuator for that matter.

To clear the air, I am just a customer. I don't work for Chris but among some others I have had the privilege of being to road test and give critical feedback on the many upgrades over the last 18 months. 

To protect myself and Chris, I have been doing my best to expose the lies and I am a bit battle scarred.

Someone has to tell how a product performs from a customer and user point of view because that is what really matters in the end. Data doesn't decide whether you appreciate a product or not. Product and user opinions are more informative.

For example. When I said that I could not hear any distortion or background noise at any level I was informed by a faceless expert, in strong terms who had never heard one, that the signal was distorted and it was just too quiet to be heard!

Isn't that the ultimate prize for anyone who is interested actually listening to high quality sound reproduction?

I am possibly the only person on earth who has a LightSpeed, CloneNote and SetreoCoffee and been able to A/B test them all plus all the SC upgrades of the last 18 months. I prefer the StereoCoffee for most of my critical listening and sometimes CloneNote which has a more laid back sound. LightSpeed sounded raw, flat and unrefined on my equipment. There is no bias against a competing  product. What I heard is what I heard.

The new round of attacks seemed to be triggered because of my  post on the StereoCoffee. Sorry Chris.

The pack attacks deteriorated from attacking me to accusing Chris of being dishonest with customers and misleading them. Now they have started to accuse him of commercial infringements. I have seen his posts about the SC performance, and they are close to my experience and I haven't seen any blatant advertising. StereoCoffee consists of two highly evolved modules and associated parts which can be assembled by DIY enthusiast for an extremely low cost and provide a performance level that could never have been afforded by most people. It is not a finished product but some components. If they were smaller they would be called IC's.

The seemingly co-ordinated attacks mainly come from faceless people without any verifiable credibility or technical qualifications,  just forum 'handles'. They cherry pick comments and  produce 3 year old prototype schematics specifically to humiliate Chris. I have never seen such cowardly behaviour but indeed does happen.

Chris has agreed to have PASS Labs test his StereoCoffee but they still attack.

This would never happen on StereoNet.

Incidentally, the moderator has been notified several times and chooses to acknowledge the breaches of forum rule #1 regarding polite behaviour.

My post starts at https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analog-line-level/325031-chris-daleys-stereo-coffee-preamp-26.html#post5606759 if anybody would like to see the value of having a well moderated forum.

Sorry this so long but is important to me.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

@robmid

I dont care what they say and personally I do not give a rats arse. I have the pre and sent it to Chris sound unheard for the latest upgrade.

I am willing to commit the sin of not having heard the product. I have liaised with Chris and have found him to a gentleman to talk with.

Let the haters hate.

• Like 1

Sorry for the rant but the constant attacks on him are very wrong and Chris, as the gentlemen I have dealt with, just keeps cool, explains his findings in detail and is above above the brawling.

You will probably receive a later board upgrade than I have, which is the previous one.

I hope you hear what I experienced and it would be great to hear your opinion. Because, at the moment I am hearing so much additional detail, accuracy, separation, detailed bass and lack of distortion that every night I question whether it is a trick of my mind. Although I am slowly starting to think it is real.

I thought I knew my reference tracks intimately but it seems I don't.

Have fun!

4 hours ago, robmid said:

Sorry for the rant but the constant attacks on him are very wrong and Chris, as the gentlemen I have dealt with, just keeps cool, explains his findings in detail and is above above the brawling.

You will probably receive a later board upgrade than I have, which is the previous one.

I hope you hear what I experienced and it would be great to hear your opinion. Because, at the moment I am hearing so much additional detail, accuracy, separation, detailed bass and lack of distortion that every night I question whether it is a trick of my mind. Although I am slowly starting to think it is real.

I thought I knew my reference tracks intimately but it seems I don't.

Have fun!

Rob, 

I'm guessing as well mate on the basis of previous remarks that a change in amplification has resulted in some very different outcomes. 

Yes, change is dramatic.

I was dubious about an OEM Hypex nCore amp at first but the cost was under $300 so I took a punt. I read numerous reviews and couldn't find any that canned the performance. The 505 mini panels have so much resolution I was expecting the sound to be harsh.

This crazy little amp is smaller than my StereoCoffee and has a sound with the smoothness of a high quality valve amp but with acute detail and lack of colouration that allows the potential of an LDR to be fully exploited. I believe they are being used by some high end manufacturers. Like an LDR it doesn't add or subtract anything from a performance.

My 505 panels are able to reproduce a signal that to me, has zero audible distortion and seemingly zero colouration at any level with the StereoCoffee.

I wasn't expecting such 3d imaging and separation of music that went from wall to wall. I must admit that my LS50's sound extremely good on my Holton amp but after comparing them with the mini panels and Hypex they don't sound as natural, they sound enhanced. And the big, wide, deep sound stage is missing.

Somehow, Chris has been able to increase detail in the background detail which improves venue ambience. The tweak sounds integral and in proportion to the performance as a whole. For example, tracks with a drum kit way in the background now have cymbal sizzle that wasn't audible previously. It doesn't sound artificially enhanced to me, just more natural. With eyes closed, well recorded live performance are close to becoming 3D. 

This is my experience with a system that cost under $2000. Some technical experts who haven't heard it or LDR attenuators will call it all BS but that's their problem not mine.

I am an ex commercial photographer from wayback and better with images than words, so the best way for me to describe the sound I am hearing is by comparing a photograph taken with a 35mm camera to an image taken on 10x8 inch film.

Both can be enlarged and appear just as sharp up to say 20 x 16 inches but the large format image can keep being enlarged until you see detail within the detail but the detail from the 35mm film will soon deteriorate into film grain without the resolution when viewed closeup.

* My disclaimer for people who doubt me. I don't work for Chris but I have been able to critique all his updates over the last 18 months and been able to A/B test each upgrade against the previous. You probably won't get identical performance to me if you don't have the same downstream components but from experience using my other system, you should still be impressed.

2 hours ago, mloutfie said:

@robmid did you try putting the extra jfet transistor under the ldr board? I found that to be a big upgrade also. Other than the power and control board update

Yes I did.

I have the latest LDR board. I actually added a TL431 shunt regulator under the power board.

I found it quite fiddly but the change really opened up the background. Masking take helped my to hold down the jfet so I could solder it in place successfully.

The bass also tightened up. Instead of my REL sub just playing deep bass it now has texture that wasn't there.

Bass also seems to have to be weightier. It seems the bass I was hearing was a muddy mess and I didn't realise.

Everything seems open to such a degree that I didn't recognise some of my favourite test tracks. It wasn't Diana Kraal or Norah Jones either. To me, they both sound pretty good no matter what equipment you use, but it is very boring to me. There are thousands of other challenging live tracks around on Spotify Premium to use as test tracks. The new SC does amazing things with Spotify and I have bookmarked about 1000 tracks which are not only excellent test tracks but more importantly, great music.

You have probably noticed too, that everything you listen to seems to have opened up, not just isolated tracks. Although it was already really refined, it was after the last upgrade that I experienced the major improvement. I believe, even with Spotify, which some audiophiles shun, that SC seems to be digging directly into the source and we are hearing music as the recording engineer intended.

I don't pretend to understand any of what is going on any more. Chris has explained but I'm afraid it's over my head.

I'm going to enjoy my late night session now. I think I might be addicted.

Edited by robmid
  • Haha 1

Hi Ozzie,

Did Chris say he could rebuild and upgrade those old boards?  I'll be quite interested in how they come together

Yes Rob, I also sent in a request for a Moderators intervention on the diyA thread but all I got was silence - not one word - I don't understand how they will let this situation develop and then continue - extraordinarily situation IMO 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

really not sure why there is so much discussion of DIY Audio here?

My apologies. You are probably correct.

I didn't think about the possibility because I was asked some questions relating to a DIY item I reviewed previously , without noticing which forum it was on.

Cheers,

Rob

• Like 1

• Volunteer
46 minutes ago, robmid said:

My apologies. You are probably correct.

I didn't think about the possibility because I was asked some questions relating to a DIY item I reviewed previously , without noticing which forum it was on.

Cheers,

Rob

All good mate. No need to apologise. 

I had a quick look over there and was grateful to return to SNA where people are much nicer (and the mods do a great job) ?

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

This is tricky review because it is actually a product but it is a product for DIYers.

The newest 2019 StereoCoffee has reached the point where it has opened up the sound of my system with separation, life like reproduction of voices and instruments, venue ambience, dynamics and instrument/voice separation to a point that I didn’t think possible… simply, it sound’s pretty good!

Over the past 18 months I, plus a few others have had the opportunity to audition most of the SC upgrades during that time and a/b test them directly with the previous version. I'm other customers will agree that the improvements are NOT in their imagination as some seem to suggest.

The first version I tried had 3 boards and appeared to be a work in progress because of all the upgrades I tested over 18 months.

The latest version only had two boards which are much simpler to connect. The brand new custom made boards are all hand wired to order by Chris and it takes almost a full day to solder, calibrate and test the boards. I reckon $250 is a bargain.

The original boards had what I thought exemplary performance but Chris kept producing upgrades, all of which improved performance noticeably and in the last 3 cases, dramatically.

I’m not capable of putting the experience into words, but a couple of knowledgable people have said. “If I listened in a dark room, I could believe their were ghostly voices around me.” Another was impressed by the "giant sound stage which envelopes the whole room with instruments".

Based on my experiences, listening to high end gear at audio club meets, I thought the performance of StereoCoffee had reached a point where it brought my modest system a level which sounded just as good to me or even better in my own listening space. I didn’t think it could be improved.

But no! I was wrong (again). My expectations were way too low which has been proven to me with the release of the latest and (perhaps) final board.

Some how, this new power/control board is able to dig so much deeper into my music than I have ever heard to the point where my logic tells me this is not possible.

In photographic terms it is like enlarging a super high resolution image that remains super sharp and shows even more detail as the size increases. In other words there is now audible detail within detail without resorting to digital enhancement.

The purity of sound and absence of any audible distortion is very noticeable on my DIY hybrid ESL Mini Panels and Hypex nCore amp.

There have been several USA nameless vocal detractors and one Aussie on DIY Audio Forum who have joined forces deliberately trying to discredit and humiliate Chris. It has recently been closed by DIY Forum Moderator. 

These unidentified ‘qualified’ engineers who have never seen or heard a StereoCoffee are calling performance improvements in the new one ‘snake oil’ and accusing Chris of ’ripping off customers’.

All they have proven to me is that Chris has achieved something they are incapable of understanding through lack of research into how the performance of LDR’s change under various operating conditions. and StereoCoffee customers are reaping the benefits.

Electronic development is changing fast and any LDR preamp manufacturer who claims performance of the original design can’t be improved or can't see the effect new D Class amps will have on the audio industry, must have their head buried in the sand.

DISCLAIMER: I don't work for Chris, I am a happy customer who keeps getting happier.

shelter3.jpg.cd9e499b3bedc78767c792597814c3ee.jpg

Hammond enclosure with waxed Mango front panel held in place by pot and switch to hide panel bolts

2018stereo-coffee-kit.jpg.ac7854c36262a7ec9ad9a8617c35010e.jpg

Late 2018/2019 kit comes with two boards and newly designed power/control board can be powered by 12v AC or 15-18v DC wall packs.

medium2018-SC-diagram.jpg.7d6af7d04d65caf337f26a16202489e3.jpg

1672713689_SC2018SCInsideFront.jpg.c2d8e720ff66ad6ec318a9ee74c34671.jpg

Small board at front is to isolate LED indicator from the main power supply.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Friends,

I recently acquired stereo coffee ldr, mine is an older version than the current one. i like the sound but found out the loudness is too low. I have a low 3.5 set amp. And i am thinking to adding some gain to the preamp to compensate... Any ideas for a tube buffer or such? Will they mate well with this LDR?  

I haven't heard the earlier versions, but I am extremely happy with the latest version. Also would say Chris is very helpful and patient, answering all my questions very promptly, making the build very comfortable.

On 22/01/2019 at 12:40 PM, rockymystic said:

Hello Friends,

I recently acquired stereo coffee ldr, mine is an older version than the current one. i like the sound but found out the loudness is too low. I have a low 3.5 set amp. And i am thinking to adding some gain to the preamp to compensate... Any ideas for a tube buffer or such? Will they mate well with this LDR?  

I would just contact Chris as he has a number of customers all with different systems and he tests them on a couple of different rigs.

The only time I had a problem with insufficient output was when I tried to use a lowish output cartridge with a phone preamp. Level was ok but I would have liked to have more gain instead have being almost full on.

I have had Chris's LDR pre amp for well over 2 years and I have had 2 board chages in that time and every time I think it cannot get any better he proves me wrong

Chris is a genius and a true gentleman in every sense

I exchanged emails with him last week and he has confirmed that again there are improvments and im shipping my pre next week to him for the new modifications

To those who try and discredit chris, unless you have heard his LDR then dont comment

I have had over the last 20years nearly all the top pre amps from manufacturers including Mark Levinson, Esoteric, McIntosh etc etc and dont get me wrong they are all phenomenal pre amps but no of them has had everything perfectly right, some excell with timing, timbre, soundstage etc

Chris LDR pre on the other hand has everything, zero colour, perfect imaging, spot on timbre and timing and it just sounds so natural

For those that doubt this, try it!

The price of Chris LDR is extremely cheap compared to other manufacturers pre amps

Oh and a side note if you are not happy then you can most probably sell it on for the price you paid anyways, as there is gereally a waiting list for Chris to build one,

bear that in mind because someone will snap it up if you don't like it, some people that just cannot wait lol

I know people are thinking maybe Im just judging by my own ears!

I am very lucky have many audiophile friends with great systems that are astounded by the clarity and dynamics of Chris's LDR

Guys if your on the fence trying to decide whether its that good, it is [emoji16]

Give it a go, what do you have to lose, buy a preamp that will seriously end your journey of trying to find that golden elusive pre amplifier that has everything

Well done Chris and dont worry what the sceptics say, there are many of us out here that know the truth

Cheers

A very happy LDR pe amp owner

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

I've had my StereoCoffee built for a few months now, but I've been trying out different internal cables (cat5, 26g & 24g headphone cable, Klotz MY206.  I've settled on the Klotz MY206 microphone cable.  Very nice :)

The pre sounds very natural & well balanced across the audio spectrum.  Clear, punchy bass,  great midrange and treble.  Great dynamics, sound staging and headroom.  You can now hear all the subtle nuances in the music.  I love hearing the detail within the reverb in certain songs.  A great sounding pre.

IMG_20190527_101042821.jpg.d373cedd05f10b528b6031ea57da6e89.jpgIMG_20190527_101052325.jpg.ce2fb1d790dfb4ad7edab29f95455964.jpgIMG_20190527_101111957.jpg.b402f379458045a3115021b846403010.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Stereo Coffee Aug 2019 (2 x PCB, 12VAC) Version – Review 

There is only one word that accurately describes the August 2019 version of the Stereo Coffee and that is SUPERB.

It’s not good, it’s not very good, it’s not excellent, it is SUPERB.

There is no doubt about it, the Stereo Coffee is a break-through product based on deep technical and innovative knowledge and thinking outside the box.

In the middle of 2018 I built the April 2018 Stereo Coffee (3 x PCB, 15VDC) version. I found it to be very significantly better than my PS Audio 4.6 preamp and another LDR preamp. Another significant advantage for me is that the Stereo Coffee is flexible and convenient because it offers three separate switchable inputs eg. CD, Turntable, FM Tuner etc.. 

In early August 2019 I built the August 2018 Stereo Coffee (2 x PCB, 12VAC) version because I was building a separate stereo system and I want to use a Remote Volume Control which Chris had implemented for this version and I was interested to see the outcome of Chris’s implementation of timing techniques, and new techniques to further reduce interference before it reaches the amplifier/s and new techniques to regulate and monitor current. And I also wanted to see the effects of switching the power supply from 15VDCto 12VAC.

Upon finishing the August 2019 build I found it to be very significantly better than my April 2018 version. I was quite surprised by this because the April 2018 version is very good and I found it hard to believe that it could be improved upon, let alone improved upon so significantly.

My review of the August 2019 Stereo Coffee is based on listening to a wide range of musical styles ranging from orchestra, jazz, rock and alternative etc. My favourite CD for comparing components is the excellent  “La Revancha del Tango” (an XL Recording) by the French/International group Gotan Project. This CD is an excellent recording with a wide range of vocals and instruments which demand good bass, midrange  and treble reproduction. https://gotanproject.bandcamp.com/album/la-revancha-del-tango.

The August 2019 Stereo Coffee has a really excellent wide sound stage, stereo imaging, height, depth, separation between instruments and between vocals and instruments, realism, dynamics, rhythm. And it seems to have more bass than the April 2018 Version. But it’s good tight, fast, and realistic bass, not dominating nor flabby which is great. But that’s not all. What stands out are two things. Firstly is that it has a BIG sound. It’s hard to describe, but the closest analogy I can think of is that it sounds like you are in a small picture theatre with a very good stereo sound system! It’s a bit unnerving that such a BIG sound can come from two small printed circuit boards! The second stand out is again something I have not experienced before in that I can choose to tune in my ears and brain to the vocals and let the instruments be in the background or I can just as easily tune into the instruments and let the vocals be the background. It’s an amazing experience.

Every sound system responds differently to a change in a component of course due to a host of factors such as the source eg. CD player, turntable etc.. The type of cable between a CD a DAC eg. the type of digital coax, the type of optical cable, the type of DAC, the type of cable between the DAC and the Preamp, the cable between the Preamp and the amplifier/s, the type of amplifier/s, the cable between the amplifier/s and the speakers, the size, shape and furnishings of the room, the location of the speakers, the design of the speaker cross-overs, the quality of the cross-over components, the location of the listener, the volume the music is played at etc. etc. so the effect of the Stereo Coffee will vary from system to system to some degree. But in my system the 2019 Stereo Coffee is SUPERB. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/05/2019 at 1:40 PM, BRM said:

I've had my StereoCoffee built for a few months now, but I've been trying out different internal cables (cat5, 26g & 24g headphone cable, Klotz MY206.  I've settled on the Klotz MY206 microphone cable.  Very nice :)

The pre sounds very natural & well balanced across the audio spectrum.  Clear, punchy bass,  great midrange and treble.  Great dynamics, sound staging and headroom.  You can now hear all the subtle nuances in the music.  I love hearing the detail within the reverb in certain songs.  A great sounding pre.

IMG_20190527_101042821.jpg.d373cedd05f10b528b6031ea57da6e89.jpgIMG_20190527_101052325.jpg.ce2fb1d790dfb4ad7edab29f95455964.jpgIMG_20190527_101111957.jpg.b402f379458045a3115021b846403010.jpg

Thats a great build! Much neater than mine in the same case.

Where did you manage to find that classy volume knob?