Best big screen on a budget

Hi all, need a new TV.... around the 65" mark would be about right, dual tuner. There seems to be a lot of choices out there and  a lot of the spec's look the same or very similar (to me anyway!)

Don't what top end as its only for Free View (NZ) and Netflix, the more I spend on a TV the less I have to spend on my real hobby - sounds!

Appreciate any direction to get me started.

Cheers Dave 

Was checking the NU7100 in our local JB yesterday and despite the lack of a local dimming feature (which isnt such a big deal in an edge lit TV) and a limited colour gammit, the unit on display impressed with good black levels and brilliant screen uniformity. It was listed at $1895.

On 04/01/2019 at 10:30 AM, pc9 said:

Was checking the NU7100 in our local JB yesterday and despite the lack of a local dimming feature (which isnt such a big deal in an edge lit TV) and a limited colour gammit, the unit on display impressed with good black levels and brilliant screen uniformity. It was listed at $1895.

Correction - $1495 at Good Guys.

On 03/01/2019 at 8:20 PM, nzlowie said:

Thats cheap!!!! Was prepared to spend a bit more than that..... Maybe $1500-$2k.

I bought 2 for less then $1000. Sound is crap though. Best used with a Bar.

On 03/01/2019 at 6:31 PM, Cheep Charlie said:

Bauhn 60" 4K for $599 from Aldi , very good for the money , and has 60 day refund if you don't like it .

On sale 12/01

https://imgur.com/a/HY0ZMC5

Save yourself the aggravation of lugging it backwards and forwards to the store. Mate bought one, had it replaced, then fixed, then arguments... Not worth the hassle when chances are you're going to be severely inconvenienced. Spend the $1500-$2000 and buy something better quality. You're not talking a portable radio here, it is big and hard to transport backwards and forwards for warranty work...

Edited by Silent Screamer
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Silent Screamer said:

Save yourself the aggravation of lugging it backwards and forwards to the store. Mate bought one, had it replaced, then fixed, then arguments... Not worth the hassle when chances are it's going to be severely inconvenienced. Spend the $1500-$2000 and buy something better quality. You're not talking a portable radio here, it is big and hard to transport backwards and forwards for warranty work...

There’s a reason why it’s at Aldi.

Also, everytime I read about that massive line where there’s very limited stock and people queue for miles and then start WWW3 inside that store good luck to them. Those branded products that end up there has history.

7 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

There’s a reason why it’s at Aldi.

Also, everytime I read about that massive line where there’s very limited stock and people queue for miles and then start WWW3 inside that store good luck to them. Those branded products that end up there has history.

Come down to that old story about the oats and you can get cheaper ones if you want to wait until they come out the other end...

I am all for bargains, I am all for Aldi bargains, but you really need to make sure you buy the right bargains. Like yesterday I picked up six 300mm x 300mm rubber mats for $10. That less than $2 a mat. Crazy cheap for a mat of that size. There is little risk with them. I also bought a 21" mower from Aldi which nearly caused an altercation, but after using it for a little while it became apparent it wasn't quite the bargain I thought it was. It is at best, ok quality. Even before my friend mentioned his problems I would just never buy that sort of item from Aldi it just begs to have headaches you don't need.

Edited by Silent Screamer

2 minutes ago, Silent Screamer said:

Come down to that old story about the oats and you can get cheaper ones if you want to wait until they come out the other end...

I am all for bargains, I am all for Aldi bargains, but you really need to make sure you buy the right bargains. Like yesterday I picked up six 300mm x 300mm rubber mats for $10. That less than $2 a mat. Crazy cheap for a mat of that size. There is little risk with them. I also bought a 21" mower from Aldi which nearly caused an altercation, but after using it for a little while it became apparent it wasn't quite the bargain I thought it was. It is at best, ok quality. Even before my friend mentioned his problems I would just never buy that sort of item from Aldi it just begs to have headaches you don't need.

We think alike on the rubber mat,  but I would never touch the lawn mower, tools or even clothing, footwear,  electric kitchen utensils....  

However with the loan mower I bought a top of the line Victor 4 stroke that doesn’t want to die...  purchased at HN when a close friend worked there and gave a $200 discount.    It’s done 3 properties, loaned out to a neighbour who did a primary school, and then a 650m2 block every 2wks for 4yrs and it’s still going strong!  Also another meighnour borrowed it for 6mths becuase there’s got stolen.

1 minute ago, Addicted to music said:

We think alike on the rubber mat,  but I would never touch the lawn mower, tools or even clothing, footwear,  electric kitchen utensils....  

However with the loan mower I bought a top of the line Victor 4 stroke that doesn’t want to die...  purchased at HN when a close friend worked there and gave a $200 discount.    It’s done 3 properties, loaned out to a neighbour who did a primary school, and then a 650m2 block every 2wks for 4yrs and it’s still going strong!  Also another meighnour borrowed it for 6mths becuase there’s got stolen.

The plan with the mower was to be a temporary stop gap until I get my 52" remote control mower up and running. The block I own is 1600+ sqm, so I don't plan to be mowing that by hand into my old age.

• 1 month later...

Rather than start a new thread, thought I might jump in here as I am in the same boat.
Looking around the $1500 mark for a 65", is this a reasonable budget? Few options from the usual suspects, just out of touch with who are the main go to brands these days. Current TV is one of the last Samsung Plasma Tvs which has been very good.

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/tvs/tvs-65-70/?p=1&s=displayPrice&sd=1&fm=false

• 3 months later...