Record shops in Hobart?

There are some record shops in and around Hobart but from memory they were nothing special or cheap. I did however find a few great finds and usually by the box, these quality records were being auctioned off at Gowan's auction house in Glenorchy and probably from deceased estates.
I think the auctions were on Friday's and a quick look around only takes 5 minutes to see if a consignment is on offer, i often left an absentee bid and won. Glenorchy is only a 20min drive out of Hobart and a stop in Newtown for a coffee is worth the trip.

• Like 1

Solda’s in Elizabeth street north hobart is worthwhile for used stuff. Better than Melbourne prices from my experience. There was also a good one in Imperial Arcade but it’s not coming up on a google search now so maybe gone. There are often some stalls at Salamanca Market too. The market happens every Saturday morning and is a great market for local produce as well. You’ll be able to walk there from Battery Point.

• Like 1

There is a whole thread on here already. Tommy gun in Elizabeth St is great, Aeroplane Record stall at Salamanca not so.

Anyway, wait a few days before buying anything..... I am in the Qantas club typing this on my way to Hobart right now and don't want the good stuff to go!

• Like 1

Music Without Frontiers on Liverpool St in the city is great. My favourite store. The second hand stuff is up the back of the shop. Stefan only puts out stuff that’s in really good condition. As already mentioned, Tommy Gun Records on Elizabeth St is also good. There’s an Antique Shop on Bathurst St between Watchorn and Harrington Sts (very close to Music Without Frontiers) that sometimes has good second hand stuff.

• Like 2

Stefan's Music without Frontiers shop is the equal or better than anything else in Australia. His knowledge is unsurpassed, and his Fawlty Towers approach to life is a joy to behold. Do yourself a favour and go there, you won't be disappointed! It's located in Liverpool St between  Murray and Harrington st.

cheers

mick

• Like 3

• 4 years later...

Worth checking out Suffragette Records, which open in 2022. They sell new and secondhand vinyl and their focus is on music by women. Their shop is at 52 Sandy Bay Rd, Battery Point, just a few minutes walk from the centre of Hobart. 

• Like 1