Sign in to follow this  
Sime

Chord Hugo M Scaler discussion and impressions thread.

8 minutes ago, Sime said:

Wrong. 

from Rob watts

Hi,

OK I have checked the code, and there are reasons for the behaviour, and it's due to locking of the DAC when SPDIF goes out of lock momentarily on the M scaler. That's why it flashes red, as the default 44.1 is sent to the DAC when it's input goes out of lock. Clearly I don't need to do this with Qutest on its own, it just mutes during SR change - there is no need to maintain M scaler/DAC lock under all circumstances.

Maybe, but the latency is still very real.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

Maybe, but the latency is still very real.

But it has nothing at all to do with the issue.

dd you even see what’s actually happening in the video? 

Edited by Sime

26 minutes ago, Sime said:

But it has nothing at all to do with the issue.

dd you even see what’s actually happening in the video? 

Can't watch from where I am right now, sorry

But it’s been discussed with Rob and myself already, and it’s all to do with the reclocking of the two devices. 
If your playing a track and decide to click the next track half way through and the next track is a higher resolution, some good aweful noises can occur. 

26 minutes ago, Sime said:

But it’s been discussed with Rob and myself already, and it’s all to do with the reclocking of the two devices. 
If your playing a track and decide to click the next track half way through and the next track is a higher resolution, some good aweful noises can occur. 

Alrighty, my mistake. I thought the latency would be responsible.

@Sime @Ittaku

Thanks for the thoughts guys. Unfortunately it isn't just at the beginning of the track. It happens sporadically throughout the song, no particular time intervals, very inconsistent. It almost feels like it is buffering

Have you tried using coax or optical into the scaler?

Have you tried using coax or optical into the scaler?
Not an option for me, only output on both Zenith and N100 is USB.

I might temporarily pull my Audiophilleo 2 out of the other system to give it a try, but I don't want to permanently introduce another element. If that works, then I might have to try different USB cables to see if any of them make a difference.

@markm1111 yeah, my scaler/Qutest have never done what yours has running coax all this time so I can’t be of much help. 

My Mscaler has never done this connected to a microRendu via USB.

On 19/08/2019 at 9:31 AM, rossb said:

Having lived with three M Scalers (okay, two M Scalers and a Blu 2) with four chord DACs, the DAVE, TT2, Hugo 2 and Qutest, and having compared the M Scaler to PC upscaling via Roon, I don't agree. 

It is true that the M Scaler sounds a bit better than PC upscaling. Rob Watts clearly tweaked it to produce a warmer sound than conventional upscaling. But it still sounds bright, brittle and etched to me - the same as software upscaling - just a bit less so. In other words, not an improvement at all and in my opinion, a significant downgrade in sound. The effect of the M Scaler is to remove the natural warmth, fullness and texture of the music, and replace it with an artificial sense of detail that people seem to hear as an improvement.

For a couple of years I drank the Chord Kool Aid and convinced myself that the Blu 2 improved my DAVE, and that the M Scaler improved my TT2. I posted gushing reviews of which I am now embarrassed. When I briefly listened to the DACs without the M SCaler and found that it sounded warmer, fuller and more natural, I convinced myself that I was mistaken. The M Scaler made a remarkable difference, so of course it must be an improvement. Except that it wasn't.

Try making a digital recording from a known and repeatable audio source - eg from an LP - play it back over a Chord DAC without the M Scaler. And then play it again with the M Scaler, compare it to the source, and you will find that it becomes a bleached, etched replica of the original. 

The first time I heard the DAVE and Blu 2 at a dealer a couple of years ago we swapped back and forth with another well-known, reputable high end DAC. The DAVE/Blu 2 sounded so radically different that I thought Rob Watts had discovered some hitherto unknown principle of digital playback and that what I was hearing was a revolution. I wasn't sure I liked it but it sounded so radical that I ordered the DAVE on the spot. But I know now that most of what I heard that day was the Blu 2 upscaler. In that unfamiliar system, it was the Blu 2 producing the massive difference between the DACs, and if I had heard it in my own system that day I would probably have recognised the bright, colourless, forensically lean sound it was producing as grossly unnatural. Unfortunately, like many others, I interpreted difference as improvement, and strangeness as innovation.

Of course, I am in a minority. Most people do seem to like the M Scaler, and believe that it is in an improvement. But I know I am not alone, there are quite a few others who have similar views of the M Scaler to mine. But if you own a Chord DAC, definitely listen to the M Scaler before buying one and be sure that the difference you are hearing is a worthwhile one before spending big money on one.

I’m also in the minority. Having had the Qutest and M Scaler for a week I would agree with your review.  I found that I preferred the Qutest without the M Scaler. 

When I first heard the Mscaler at a dealer, paired with a Qutest, it did not sound as good as the Qutest alone in my home system.  When I took it home on loan the improvement was nightj and day. I could not be without the expanded sound stage and increased seperation between everything.  My view is that what the Mscaler brings is system dependent as well as a matter of personal taste.