Sime V2

Chord Hugo M Scaler discussion and impressions thread.

Alright, enough chatter, I just want to listen to this thing now. Sime, I know you said I should just listen to what I know for comparison but given CD is what will benefit most, you should still bring down one or two of your favourites just as a reference point. (Plus you may hate all my music 😛 ).

@Ittaku not as much as you might hate mine 🤪

1 hour ago, Cruncher said:

Do what?

As mentioned in the article.... Sharp filters, and a closer approximation of sinc.    It's just a case of how much delay do you want.

My understanding is not one actually knows exactly what he is doing.

"Exactly" is a quite precise term.    

You certainly can do a lot of things in CPU and Software, but other some functions can be better done in other devices / hardware. Why do you think Intel bought Altera for $16.7 Billion, they seemed to know something about CPU.

"Better" means more efficiently (ie. power, and cost).... and if you were building a product like the M scaler, you would certainly lean towards using some sort of FPGA or ASIC ..... the only point I made was that if they can achieve more performance improvement by longer filters, then the option is there.     It's in no way a controversial point .... and I'm still here defending it.    People arguing against it have zero clue.

1 hour ago, Ittaku said:

Actually it says the blu2 draws up to 10A of current to do its magic

From the wall  (?!?!!?)  😮 

1 hour ago, Music2496 said:

If you're adjusting it from your iPad, it's a very safe bet that it's all in the digital domain.

No.... The microprocessor controlling the AVR is "digital" ..... but that doesn't at all mean the filters it is adjusting are not analogue.

1 hour ago, Sime V2 said:

On the subject off of the 8805’s EQ, being that it’s a manual adjustment EQ, is there a chance it’s analog? All Audyssey stuff has to be switched off before you can even have access to that EQ. 

Do you know, I hadn't even considered it..... I would bet, no  (I'll find out) ..... but the fact you can adjust it via an iPad (or via the front knobs, display, which is the same thing) is no indication.

4 minutes ago, davewantsmoore said:

No.... The microprocessor controlling the AVR is "digital" ..... but that doesn't at all mean the filters it is adjusting are not analogue.

I didn't say no... just said it was a safe bet... just like you did 😉

4 minutes ago, davewantsmoore said:

I would bet, no (I'll find out)

Can't see anything about digitally controlled analogue EQ anywhere... but if you find out, curious to know....

Edited by Music2496

16 minutes ago, davewantsmoore said:

Do you know, I hadn't even considered it..... I would bet, no  (I'll find out) ..... but the fact you can adjust it via an iPad (or via the front knobs, display, which is the same thing) is no indication.

The frequency points for the graphic equalisation are fixed, so it is still possible. If you could move them around or shape them, it'd be guaranteed digital, but that's not the case here.

5 minutes ago, Music2496 said:

I didn't say no... just said it was a safe bet... just like you did 😉

That's right .....   It is not a safe bet that the digital control means the filters are digital.

It is a safe bet that the filers are digital because that is what 99.9% of devices have now days .... analogue filters are more difficult, more expensive, and typically lower performance.