Chord Electronics Owners & Discussion Thread

I trust you saw this:

Hi, we hope to have some news on this in the next few weeks. Our FB community will be the first to know.

Yeah the new product announcements are all in July.  If they are just going to release a new model, without upgrades to existing models, would they even mention that there will be 'some news'.  I guess they said 'hope' to have some news.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

New USB board needed, but as its all one piece connected, they have to change it all. The excellent PCM Dac section stays, but i would really like to know if DSD64 is improved. It is a bit too polite.

Get yours in for the upgrade and report back ASAP!

You can still listen to the lampy while the Chord is away getting the magic put in.

I'm a self confessed version 5lut. And I'm convinced the DSD bass rolloff with the first revision is a bug. And since they "have completely rewritten" the software I will bet DSD performance is fixed.

Am I a hopeless tech optimist?

Say if the upgrade doesn't sound as good with PCM as it does now?

Like that last NAD M51 firmware update killed its audio quality, say if the Chord upgraded is not as good to me subjectively?

And since its a hardware upgrade there is no going back?

But..

I'm a self confessed version 5lut, so I asked the local Distributor:

"What is the procedure and price for this upgrade here in Australia? (£200 in UK)"

Response today from local Distributor:

"I hope to have the information tomorrow but rest assured we'll offer an upgrade etc."
Edited by HumanMedia

• 3 years later...

Can't really find a thread for this but I know that there are many local supporters so thought I'd open a thread.

Heard the Blu2+ Dave combi at Canjam and it was incredible. Just came out of the Smyth realiser's 11.1 channel demo, and this- out of headphones!- was just as immersive, expansive and real.

The Hugo2 also sounded very nice- the filters really made a surprisingly big impact on the sound.

What do other owners think?

Though some folks have been using chord products in hifi setup but they are still primarily headfi stuff.. and headfi stuff somehow don't generate much discussion here in xtremeplace, other than the one and only headfi appreciation thread. :)

Yes the Hugo, Mojo and Poly are. But I actually think the Dave sounds even better on speakers than on headfi setups! If you haven't tried it, the soundstaging is really something awesome to behold, especially with great imaging speakers!

Guest plasmasiao

2qute is missing. I am using 2qute as stereo dac. Loving the chord sound.

How's 2qute compared to similarly priced DACs like Benchmark, Mytek,Yulong, any bros have experience to share?TIA

With Chord.... resale value is so bad... i simply wont buy after a bad experience selling QuteHD dac.

i've not owned the QuteHD before but I did own the original Hugo. I bought it for 1.9K in April 2015 & managed to sell it for 1.7K in March last year. i wouldn't say that the resale value for Chord products are bad :)

How's 2qute compared to similarly priced DACs like Benchmark, Mytek,Yulong, any bros have experience to share?TIA

Yulong is cheaper and is also a headphone amp, pre-amp and comes with balanced out. imo, the 2qute does beat it comfortably as a dac (retrieval of detail, and speed => all those microdetails). I still use the yulong da8 in my pc rig. the 2qute is with the main stereo rig.

With Chord.... resale value is so bad... i simply wont buy after a bad experience selling QuteHD dac.

dj, I think it's the qutehd itself ba. chord liked to half-baked their usb input. that change as hugo came out. Although I think most dac resale values dropped significantly if some critical tech is introduced.

yeah, maybe its just me.  ;D ;D ;D the buyer for my QuteHD was nasty. that was when the resale market was still good. now most buyers qoute thousands hot cash take it or get stuck with it.  :(

Hello

I have owned a Chord Hugo for a year , and used it with HD800 , and HD650 (as a headphone amp)

Then I used it as a DAC , feeding my headphone system (Violectric v281 , Auralic Aries Femto , with Coax ou USB out to the Chord) : EXCELLENT

I tried the Hugo in my main system : WOW , for such a small piece of Kit

Verdict

SUPERB DAC , and unfortunately not suited to my taste for the HD800

Then , I had the chance to listen to the DAVE

Saved some money , and bought it for my main system

I guess that this is the last dac I'll ever have

It's PHENOMENAL .. natural , foot tapping , good bass , no harsh treble , and exceptional sound stage

You really know all this , when you take it out of your system

BUT it's either you like the chord sound or not

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

I guess that this is the last dac I'll ever have

It's PHENOMENAL .. natural , foot tapping , good bass , no harsh treble , and exceptional sound stage

You really know all this , when you take it out of your system

Hehe! unfortunately, in the world of DAC, it won't ever be the "last DAC you'll ever have".

The tech moves so fast, it'll be obsolete in a few years and you'll be looking at a new one soon after.  ;D  ;D