Sime

Chord Electronics Owners & Discussion Thread

No, I don't have a CD transport. I did try CD when I had the Blu 2 but it did not sound noticeably different to streaming. Having lived with the Blu 2 for a year and now the M Scaler I don't think it can be described as a sound I am "not used to". But I do need to do some more critical listening to really get a grip on what I am hearing.
Sounds like a plan, I hope it works for you [emoji16]

Having heard the Blu/Dave combination I must say I didn't think the extra expense (IMO) warranted the upgrade. I thought that the DAVE dac was incredibly detailed (stand alone) and the Blu didn't add a lot.  Having said all that I am happy with my Gieseler Gross and find it difficult to justify any additional spend so I am not their target market.

How’s the new toy going @legend ?

10 hours ago, Sime V2 said:

How’s the new toy going @legend ?

The M-Scaler with Qutest is much as I remember from the brief listen with yours a month or so ago - a wonderful sense of rightness/like being there - with resolution combined with ease (always difficult) and absence of brittleness/glare (that are often attributed to tweeters, especially metal dome ones that I am currently using), plus a much better sense of space around instruments and their positioning in space. Very addictive and hard to stop listening to more recordings - all the way through!

@legend yup, sounds about right 👍

Tonight I made two changes to my TT2/HMS.

First, I replaced the stock switch mode PSUs with MCRU linear PSUs. This made a tiny improvement, but could have been placebo.

Next, I replaced the Mogami BNC cables I have been using with some new Canare cables I had ordered. The difference was startling and dramatic. While still slightly lighter in tone, the HMS now had much more weight, tonal density and colour. I think this may solve my issue. I need to do some more listening, but the difference made by changing BNC cables has been remarkable.

First, I replaced the stock switch mode PSUs with MCRU linear PSUs. This made a tiny improvement, but could have been placebo.

Next, I replaced the Mogami BNC cables I have been using with some new Canare cables I had ordered. The difference was startling and dramatic. While still slightly lighter in tone, the HMS now had much more weight, tonal density and colour. I think this may solve my issue. I need to do some more listening, but the difference made by changing BNC cables has been remarkable.
Fantastic, I'm very happy for you, and its insane how much cables can change so much

And people say all cables sound the same lol, yeah right!

24 minutes ago, rossb said:

Interesting result Ross. I tried the stock Chord BNC cables initially between my HMS and Dave, then swapped to a pair of Analysis Plus Silver Crystal BNCs. I perceived a much fuller and more enjoyable sound, but hesitated to post as I always wonder about placebo effect. Subsequent research on various fora indicated the sensitivity of pairing the HMS with good BNC cables.

On 02/04/2019 at 7:43 PM, rossb said:

An update: after only a few days with the new cables and PSUs, the transformation has been quite incredible. I now have no doubt that the M Scaler is making a massive improvement in sound quality. In fact, as many have reported, it is now hard to go back to the original 44.1 versions, which sound muddy and artificial by comparison. The most startling thing about the effect of the M Scaler is the sense of realism and presence it produces. Recordings which had previously sounded glassy and artificial - like cartoon versions of reality - now sound spookily real. 

I am not sure how much of the contribution is due to the PSUs and how much to the cables, but finally I "get it". And the TT2/M Scaler sound much better than my DAVE and Blu 2 ever did. 

Yes, you need time and to be very familiar with your system also. Once The Who ha dies down and you forget that you have it, just sitting down and playing an old familiar track really takes you back at the difference. 

Its like I’ve said earlier, I don’t fuss my mind with hardware thoughts these days. 

An update: after only a few days with the new cables and PSUs, the transformation has been quite incredible. I now have no doubt that the M Scaler is making a massive improvement in sound quality. In fact, as many have reported, it is now hard to go back to the original 44.1 versions, which sound muddy and artificial by comparison. The most startling thing about the effect of the M Scaler is the sense of realism and presence it produces. Recordings which had previously sounded glassy and artificial - like cartoon versions of reality - now sound spookily real. 

I am not sure how much of the contribution is due to the PSUs and how much to the cables, but finally I "get it". And the TT2/M Scaler sound much better than my DAVE and Blu 2 ever did. 
Thats great news, so happy your finally hearing what us HMS owners are experiencing

Ebjoy!

Dear Everyone 

Please share your opinion on these two DACs, which one is better?

Thanks and Regards

Peter

Really comes down to which one you like. 

Do you mean they are similar?

Versatility wise, m-dac has far more input and output options, including balanced out.

Everyone will have a different view, IMO if you’re spending that sort of coin on a dedicated DAC, you want it to be versatile.

:welcome: to the forum.   Ideally, listen to both because they will be slightly different.

Are you buying these new ?  If so, there are lots more DACs that are just as good,  if not better.  

Could you recommend me some good one at that price range? Thanks a heap.

I am a fan of Gieseler DACs which are designed and made in the Gold Coast.

My personal opinion is that the Gieseler Fein II will beat both of the DACs that you are considering...

Given that most physical properties of cables increase with length of cable I decided to make some as short as possible for the dual BNC connection between my M-Scaler and Qutest.  I used quad-shielded RG6 75 ohm cable whose live core I soldered in gold-plated BNC plugs - unlike the crimping often used. And I used 2 ferrite cores around each cable as suggested by some to reduce RFI being transmitted through the shield.

I thought I could hear a small improvement over the stock 1m cable supplied with the M-Scaler but the effect was pretty subtle.  Anyway the bits only cost around $10 and took less than 30 mins to make!

616402394_MscalerQutest.jpg.d68051864e6d0b138806cef74c2c9098.jpg

Interesting! As discussed before cables can make a huge difference

Me and 3 of my friends that own M Scalers with Qutest and Dave's were literally gob smacked at the cheap amphenol cables that sell on Mouser

I have tried Chord cables thats Chord the cable manufacturer and also Qed, Clearaudio, Black cat just to name a few and for us the Amphenol is the winner by a huge amount

And the stock Chord M Scaler cable is not even close in comparison

The Amphenols clarity & transparency is exceptional

Here is the link and the best thing is they are super cheap

https://nz.mouser.com/ProductDetail/amphenol/095-850-187m100/?qs=5aG0NVq1C4xV2QqPusq4bQ==&countrycode=NZ&currencycode=NZD

Cheers

Deano

Given that most physical properties of cables increase with length of cable I decided to make some as short as possible for the dual BNC connection between my M-Scaler and Qutest.  I used quad-shielded RG6 75 ohm cable whose live core I soldered in gold-plated BNC plugs - unlike the crimping often used. And I used 2 ferrite cores around each cable as suggested by some to reduce RFI being transmitted through the shield.

I thought I could hear a small improvement over the stock 1m cable supplied with the M-Scaler but the effect was pretty subtle.  Anyway the bits only cost around $10 and took less than 30 mins to make!

Have you listened with the Qutest filter on neutral?

20 minutes ago, Deano_malaysia said:
39 minutes ago, legend said:

Have you listened with the Qutest filter on neutral?

Yes.

25 minutes ago, Deano_malaysia said:

Interesting! As discussed before cables can make a huge difference

Me and 3 of my friends that own M Scalers with Qutest and Dave's were literally gob smacked at the cheap amphenol cables that sell on Mouser

I have tried Chord cables thats Chord the cable manufacturer and also Qed, Clearaudio, Black cat just to name a few and for us the Amphenol is the winner by a huge amount

And the stock Chord M Scaler cable is not even close in comparison

The Amphenols clarity & transparency is exceptional

Here is the link and the best thing is they are super cheap

https://nz.mouser.com/ProductDetail/amphenol/095-850-187m100/?qs=5aG0NVq1C4xV2QqPusq4bQ==&countrycode=NZ&currencycode=NZD

Cheers

Deano

I have some of those Amphenol cables and they are quite good. However, I prefer Canare LV-61S, which are also very good value: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/333022472831