Chord Electronics Owners & Discussion Thread

I really really realized at how incredible this machine is this morning (more so) I put on the album “Praises to the war machine” by Warrel Dane. I’ve been listening to this album for many years on different systems, and it’s one of those albums that can sound so different depending on what you playing it on. Worst case it can sound bloated and not very well defined.  

Well this morning I’ve never ever heard this album be controlled as effortlessly, bass lines are in perfect control, cymbals have that kind of sssss noise to them as if you were in the room with them and you can hear the space around the singer. This is no real Surprise to most, being this is how a good system operates, but especially that this fat sounding album to be pulled apart and presented in a perfectly ordered fashion. 

When you read people’s opinions on this machine the first thing they’ll say is that they have never heard their music sound as live as it does now, and that’s really what this thing excels at. 

On 11/01/2019 at 9:07 PM, agisthos said:

There will be a performance loss there. I want a one box DAC that does it all. 

Considering that my Qutest is playing better than it ever has before, if there is any loss involved, it’s not being missed. 

If you keep waiting for what you want, you may be missing out. 

Edited by Sime V2

On 11/01/2019 at 9:07 PM, agisthos said:

But I cannot imagine running the digital signal out to an external box and back in again is doing it any favours. There will be a performance loss there. I want a one box DAC that does it all. 

At great risk of being chastised for saying this: bits are bits while the signal is still digital and they won't get lost between multiple boxes. Adding other noise, quality of timing signal etc. are all other issues, but become critical only at the stage when you try to convert them to analogue.

• Like 1

Just wish you were in Melbourne instead and could bring it around for me to try in my setup :) I'm still curious about the upsampling and ladder DAC combo.

Edited by Ittaku
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sime V2 said:

@Ittaku hell, I’d pay the flights myself, I’d be keen to hear the difference myself actually. 

Deal, I'll pick you up from the airport and open some nice wine for your efforts, or whatever your choice poison is...

Edited by Ittaku

@Ittaku hmmm……………

im jus listening to Rush’s Fly by Night album, first time I’ve actually enjoyed the sound of this album. One thing Sir Rob Watts mentioned is that it does wonders to older recordings. 

Just now, maximus said:

@Ittaku I've been a long time customer at CAV and quite often have taken equipment home for audition. I'm sure they could provide you   with an MScaler  if you ask politely.

Good point, but I feel kinda bad since the last few things I borrowed from them I didn't like and returned them... Sime may just want to do this anyway for his own curiosity.

Just now, Sime V2 said:

@Ittaku I’m not sure where I said there where issues with the cables, never had a problem. 

Does your dac accept dual inputs simultaneously?

No it does not. I must be crossing my wires about the cables then.

Looks like the mscaler has BNC connectors. I have some adapters but I guess I could buy some cables since I need RCA to BNC and I'm reluctant to just slap on an adapter, then I can make sure they're 75 ohm.

Edited by Ittaku

My two new BNC-BNC digital cables arrived from England this afternoon from Clearer Audio. Will have a good listen to tonight when it cools down a bit here. 

E3D29891-8727-433B-9293-810620BB04BF.jpeg