zydeco

What to do with old CDs?

I don't know if anyone else has noticed but the original poster hasn't made a comment since their original post...

So unless someone else is gaining some benefit from these 22 pages of circular conversation, it is really pointless debating it any further.

Since the OP only made one post it makes me think they are sitting back laughing their head off at the silly buggers that got baited into a discussion with no end.

So continue debating if you want, but I am sure there are other more worthwhile posts that need answers, that we aren't getting around to playing silly buggers here.

7 hours ago, Audiofix said:

I suppose my point might have been along the lines of - the music industry is happy to license you their whole catalogue for a few dollars a month (cost price to Tidal) - so how much do they care what any of us do with our CDs for our personal use?

Nil.

The reason they can license large amounts of their catalogues, it isn't the industry's complete catalogues as there is plenty of music you can't find on Tidal, for a few dollars a month is they are selling it on line to vast numbers of individuals and there is basically no manufacturing, transport or bricks and mortar overheads from retailers who have to make margin on top.

Plus whether you use Tidal or not they get ongoing monthly subscription fees, which is I be for many just like Gym membership that most people who take it out never use more than once or twice. 

Do record company's care about copyright? Absolutely they do, as they always have, but the various online company's like Tidal, Spotify Etc mean that soon they won't have to worry about breaches of copyright because if you make something so cheap and convenient to use, as Tidal has,  then it's hardly worth flogging. I would bet Records company's can't wait for the day they can stop making Records and CD's because 99% of punters are only downloading music and paying them their monthly subscription.

cheers Terry

On ‎2‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 12:31 AM, PicoWattson said:

For a start you could reduce your 5 large tubs to 1 large tub and 1 small tub by placing all of the jewel cases in your recycle bin, and placing all of the CDs and associated artwork into a polyethylene gatefold sleeve. Jewel cases are so very last century.

Thank you Mr. Wattson for solving the case.

11 hours ago, Audiofix said:

But who buys CDs anymore either way whether new or used, at a market for a few bucks or otherwise.

Me. Lots.

A quick google finds this - https://www.musicbusinessworldwide.com/us-recorded-music-industry-growth-slowed-in-h1-2018-with-a-dramatic-fall-in-cd-sales/

My buying preferences are immune to what others are buying. None of that has made any of my CDs or the ones I am buying sound worse.

Physical media (inc records) now represents 10% only of music industry revenue.

The irrelevance to me cannot be measured with current technology.

I would hang on to them though as I predict a boom in interest in old media of all kinds. Makes no sense but then neither does hipsters extolling the virtues of record sound quality while gouging their discs on some $99 POS from Big W....

yup!

Edited by crisis

Donate them to your local library.  My library still has thousands of cds.

Take a photo of the spines of them so people have an idea of what's on offer and list em up for sale on here. Some people (including myself) would be very interested depending on the recording/mastering especially if it's an early pressing!

Edited by Steve M

On 10/01/2019 at 3:26 PM, Silent Screamer said:

I don't know if anyone else has noticed but the original poster hasn't made a comment since their original post...

So unless someone else is gaining some benefit from these 22 pages of circular conversation, it is really pointless debating it any further.

Since the OP only made one post it makes me think they are sitting back laughing their head off at the silly buggers that got baited into a discussion with no end.

So continue debating if you want, but I am sure there are other more worthwhile posts that need answers, that we aren't getting around to playing silly buggers here.

Who cares? I didn't know we were debating.