zydeco

What to do with old CDs?

Yes, it's a bit cliched, but we're doing a New Year clean-out and I'm just down from the shed looking at 5 large tubs of CD that never get used following these having been ripped to a NAS. I thought that I was keeping these as a back-up "just in case" but the move to on-line streaming has put that in question. I don't have the patience to photo all the covers then sell, putting them in the bin seems like a massive waste and options for donations seem limited here in Perth. What are y'all doing with old CD that have been ripped? 

Posted (edited)

Agree that it is a lot of effort to take photos of each. I am going to make a list on Google Docs and then sell as many as I can.

Edited by Jventer

cd_chair.jpg

Advertise them for free, pickup on this site and ask that a donation be made to SNA?

I am sure someone wants them and CDs still sound ok.

Just like bulk records, line them up and photo the spines. This will show what they are, people can make up their minds up as to what they like. Sell them in bundles if it's easier. 

Is it even legal in Australia to keep the ripped versions if you dispose of the purchased originals?

1 hour ago, zydeco said:

Yes, it's a bit cliched, but we're doing a New Year clean-out and I'm just down from the shed looking at 5 large tubs of CD that never get used following these having been ripped to a NAS. I thought that I was keeping these as a back-up "just in case" but the move to on-line streaming has put that in question. I don't have the patience to photo all the covers then sell, putting them in the bin seems like a massive waste and options for donations seem limited here in Perth. What are y'all doing with old CD that have been ripped? 

You need to keep them if you intend to keep them on your NAS.

21 minutes ago, PleasantSounds said:

Is it even legal in Australia to keep the ripped versions if you dispose of the purchased originals?

No