Sign in to follow this  
atavid

HEOS LINK dilema

Ummm ,well I thought about it overnight and was convinced it was the PCM output setting on either the tv,the receiver or both.Been fiddling with those settings now for a while but with no luck.Also went into Netflix Settings but nothing there that seems to relate to audio settings.

Anyone ?...

52 minutes ago, atavid said:

Ummm ,well I thought about it overnight and was convinced it was the PCM output setting on either the tv,the receiver or both.Been fiddling with those settings now for a while but with no luck.Also went into Netflix Settings but nothing there that seems to relate to audio settings.

Anyone ?...

I don't know that the receiver will convert audio output to PCM, i suspect it will be more a passthrough.

That being the case, you will have to decide what is more important, getting TV sound through the HEOS or better sound from the surround system?

Yes you’re right..... but it’s hard not to want your cake ...and eat it too.

I am persisting at this stage .....there are a plethora of combinations to try before I give up yet

HEOS probably won’t accept anything but 2 Channel PCM. If you feed it Dolby Digital or DTS etc it won’t give any sound.

What is your AVR?

If it is a high enough model, the Zone 2 analog output may apply D2A conversion, so that could be a way of getting your TV sound into the HEOS without having to adjust the output settings on the TV.

It’s an old Marantz 6001 .......and I’ve solved it .....well more like accidentally pushed the right button.There is a series of buttons behind a flap on the Marantz .One of those buttons is labelled ‘auto’ .Ive seen it before and found that pushing it never made any difference that I could detect, so have ignored it .I have no idea what it does normally ,but now pressing it seems to have fixed my problem.

My wife asked me how I fixed the problem ....I told her I pushed a button.....she patted me on the head,told me I should work in the ‘genius’ bar and laughed all the way back upstairs. hummmp

I’ve settled in for some comparative listening between the Squeezebox through my Stello dac,the HEOS through the Stello dac and the HEOS through its own dac.

Hi there.....any updates on the Heos Link? How does it work as a streamer compared to the SB. The Heos is one of the options that I'm considering for a streamer solution (to be connected to external DAC). How do you find the 'app' interface and the indexing of the music files from your HDD?

On 20/03/2019 at 4:10 PM, anandpkumar said:

Hi there.....any updates on the Heos Link? How does it work as a streamer compared to the SB. The Heos is one of the options that I'm considering for a streamer solution (to be connected to external DAC). How do you find the 'app' interface and the indexing of the music files from your HDD?

Anandpkumar - I don't use the Heos as the DAC - i use my amps DAC (if my opinion helps),  as a $500-$600 unit i never expected the Heos DAC to be able to make things shine and after several listens to the start of Hotel California is quite clear (to me).

The Heos is great entry level streamer as i am just bypassing all of its fluff to send the flac files music to my amp, it has that DLNA/UPNP whatever language built in so it will be identified on a network when its plugged in, so your choice of platform (as i said i use Jriver) should find it pretty easy.

But - the app interface isn't great. As i posted below - tapping away at my phone or tablet to re-create playlists and limited to 300 songs was driving me batshit. If the USB HDD hasn't cataloged the music properly then you have to go digging for that song you just WANT to hear but just isnt there!!

I do like my unit though, it was my last purchase (after upgrading the amp, connections and then the speakers) and was a bit strapped for cash and didn't want to keep using my laptop as the 'player' so it was perfect for me to use it as a home network to play music. I dont use the Heos app as its too annoying as i said (except the internet radio stations and of course checking settings) i use JRiver (and the JRemote on my phone) to play music from a networked old desktop/server. I can go upstairs fiddle with Jriver and my music library and then just press play.

Happy to discuss further if you need.

Anyway - thanks for reading :-

On 24/04/2019 at 4:22 PM, rowbo said:

Anandpkumar - I don't use the Heos as the DAC - i use my amps DAC (if my opinion helps),  as a $500-$600 unit i never expected the Heos DAC to be able to make things shine and after several listens to the start of Hotel California is quite clear (to me).

The Heos is great entry level streamer as i am just bypassing all of its fluff to send the flac files music to my amp, it has that DLNA/UPNP whatever language built in so it will be identified on a network when its plugged in, so your choice of platform (as i said i use Jriver) should find it pretty easy.

But - the app interface isn't great. As i posted below - tapping away at my phone or tablet to re-create playlists and limited to 300 songs was driving me batshit. If the USB HDD hasn't cataloged the music properly then you have to go digging for that song you just WANT to hear but just isnt there!!

I do like my unit though, it was my last purchase (after upgrading the amp, connections and then the speakers) and was a bit strapped for cash and didn't want to keep using my laptop as the 'player' so it was perfect for me to use it as a home network to play music. I dont use the Heos app as its too annoying as i said (except the internet radio stations and of course checking settings) i use JRiver (and the JRemote on my phone) to play music from a networked old desktop/server. I can go upstairs fiddle with Jriver and my music library and then just press play.

Happy to discuss further if you need.

Anyway - thanks for reading :-

Hi there.....thanks for the detailed and frank reply. I've been reading up on the user interface on the Heos, and most of the reviews are not all that positive. 

23 hours ago, anandpkumar said:

Hi there.....thanks for the detailed and frank reply. I've been reading up on the user interface on the Heos, and most of the reviews are not all that positive. 

No problemo and good luck!

Ive found i still prefer the sound of my old Touch to either the HEOS as a player using my DAC and using the built in DAC in the HEOS.

I cant put my finger on why just yet though.....maybe just used to the sound of the SB/DAC combo i have.

I cant say that the HEOS is offensive/lacking or harsh in any way....just different i think.

I also find the control app a little frustrating as i havnt figured out  how to create a 'Favorites' section as you can do in the Squeezebox app.

I must admit i havnt put too much effort into looking into it as yet.

On a more positive note i do like the way i can just fire up my system and the HEOS works every time and all my tracks are there....the old SB was a bit "touchy" (pardon the pun) sometimes trying to connect.

Certainly not having to fire up my computer and then run SB server is a welcome change.