Sign in to follow this  
hurtin

Tidal Holiday Offer

Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere but for those looking to try Tidal Hifi theres a holiday offer ($1.99 for 3 months) at the moment: https://tidal.com/au/holidayoffer-2018

Unfortunately nothing for current subscribers :(

Thank you. Seems like a good deal to try it out. I assume you can cancel after the 3 months. 

I was looking at Spotify for the convenience it seems to work with every device and system under the sun, but what I can gather is Tidal is better suited to quality if you go the HiFi option 🤔

Cheers. 

EDIT: Just jumped on board the trial HI-FI subscription, for $2 a month, can’t hurt to try it out. 

Edited by reeza78
Updated information

yes, I'm giving a(nother) go for that cost. 

I had previously signed up for free intro, and then realised I had so much music anyway that I'd never get my $25 / m worth .... so I cancelled ... try again

That’s my biggest issues with these things; I have archived all my years of CD’s into FLAC, I still buy CD’s, vinyl and FLAC.

So yeah not sure how useful it will be, but it’s worth a go at the price. I already have AppleMusic/ NAS for the Sonos etc... especially as the family all use AppleMusic anyway. 

can't beat the price, and if you use Roon it slides right in, which is real treat for those recordings that you thought you had once ...

Took up the $2- hifi offer myself....sounds great @ 1.4mbps quality compared to Spotify max 320kbps.

Downloaded. My first streaming foray. Sounds great too! 

I’m really impressed with the sound quality of Tidal HIFI setting. On a decent system it’s a little better then Apple Music, and a heap better then Spotify. On an everyday basis (car, sonos, bluetooth speaker, background party music) it’s on par with Apple in SQ, but think Apples got better pre made playlists and slightly more tracks (for things I like anyway)

If the family did use/ love Apple Music I’d swap over, but don’t think I can afford two services.

Also, beside a PC, I can’t stream MQA unfortunately, my Yamaha DAC seems

to play them back/ or choose FLAC as the stream. 

I’ll definitely be enjoying and trying as many things for the next 3 months. 

Cheers. 

Tidal is pretty good.

But i have run it through a couple of high end systems. So it will reveal alot.

Myself and a friend did a/b tests. Tidal is alot brighter and has piercing trebble at times.

Not all songs. Compared to spotify

Use norah jones 2002 album put up to decent volume.  Then compare to spotify.(mainly vocals

The beauty of Tidal is the ‘HiFi’ option, which sounds fantastic, and integrates very nicely into both Sooloos and Roon. $23 per month for CD and better quaility is worth paying for trying new music before you buy it.

Cheers,

Jason.

Has anyone tried MQA with Tidal yet? If so, any good? 

Cheers.

I purchased a secondhand ifi nano DSD off an other member which arrived today. I’ve got it hooked up to my system via a Mac and it’s playing back MQA perfectly. Sounds pretty awesome to me. 

23 hours ago, Matyk said:

Tidal is pretty good.

Myself and a friend did a/b tests. Tidal is alot brighter and has piercing trebble at times.

Use norah jones 2002 album put up to decent volume.  Then compare to spotify.(mainly vocals

I only Stream. I signed up to the Tidal 2bucks for 3 months thing and compared to Spotify, It has a lot more weight. Spotify is more hollow in harmonics then Tidal.

On 30/12/2018 at 7:15 PM, Matyk said:

Tidal is pretty good.

Perhaps something must is wrong with your system or its bright and you've accommodated it with cables and smooth/warm source components etc because Spotify doesn't even come close to Tidal in sound quality, and I've never found Tidal to be bright. Were you listening in 'Hifi' mode ie the highest resolution? And what were you using to stream Tidal? I've always found Spotify to be shrill and of much lower quality...

18 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

Perhaps something must is wrong with your system or its bright and you've accommodated it with cables and smooth/warm source components etc because Spotify doesn't even come close to Tidal in sound quality, and I've never found Tidal to be bright. Were you listening in 'Hifi' mode ie the highest resolution? And what were you using to stream Tidal? I've always found Spotify to be shrill and of much lower quality...

Wrong with my system ?

Ok 

I said at times.. and yes tidal is brighter.

And not all songs. I have a high quality system

There isn't anything wrong with it.

And if there was i would have fixed it already.

Xx

I’m finding it very decent, I would say it’s brighter, but will definitely listen out for it.

As for more listening, in HIFI setting FLAC and Masters (MQA) sound about the same to me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

12 hours ago, Matyk said:

Wrong with my system ?

Ok 

I said at times.. and yes tidal is brighter.

And not all songs. I have a high quality system

There isn't anything wrong with it.

And if there was i would have fixed it already.

Xx

I find tidal to be very good for the wide variety of music I listen to - classical, jazz - and have never found it bright. I use the hi fi setting and find it definitely superior to the lower SQ settings - there is quite a big difference in a resolving system. 

Edited by buddyev

12 hours ago, reeza78 said:

I’m finding it very decent, I would say it’s brighter, but will definitely listen out for it.

As for more listening, in HIFI setting FLAC and Masters (MQA) sound about the same to me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Stuck on you chlara: tidal very bright

Same song on spotify highs seem rolled off and not as annoying to listen too.

I do run beryllium tweeters than can expose brighter recordings.

I still use tidal and i like it. 

I recently took advantage of the Tidal holiday offer.  Enjoying but while it changes between tracks I get this fairly loud buzzing.  I normally use my PS Sprout to Senn 600s off my PC tower via a yellowtech PUC2.  Also tried a different head amp (Burnson) straight from the headphone jack on the soundcard but still get the same buzzing...Damn  annoying I must say.

Anyone got any suggestions or have experienced this ?

30 minutes ago, RobbC said:

No sorry, never had this issue with any of the downloads from them or streaming from them. 

Edited by reeza78

2 hours ago, RobbC said:

I recently took advantage of the Tidal holiday offer.  Enjoying but while it changes between tracks I get this fairly loud buzzing.  I normally use my PS Sprout to Senn 600s off my PC tower via a yellowtech PUC2.  Also tried a different head amp (Burnson) straight from the headphone jack on the soundcard but still get the same buzzing...Damn  annoying I must say.

Are the tracks MQA?

To be honest I am not too sure. I have tried 15-20 different playlists or albums and each one does it. 

I assume the MQA option will be in settings ? Yes ? If so I will check. 

Thanks for the suggestion by the way. 

2 hours ago, thathifiguy said:

Are the tracks MQA?

ok so looked at the settings.  The buzz between songs only happens on the two highest settings so currently having to use Hi-Fi setting...it is ok but at this stage Tidal doesn't seem to have the range Spotify does to justify the additional $/month.  I will see how I feel in another 2-3 months.  

Thanks for the members for notifying of the summer trial though it will be good to scratch the itch if nothing else.