Received the following offer via mail. Apparently one needs to be a member to receive a unique (read: personalized?) coupon.

Get a head start on your Boxing Day savings with
50% off A8F OLED TVs
at Sony Store Online!
Ends 8am Boxing Day.

KD55A8F
55" A8F 4K HDR OLED TV with Dolby Vision & Acoustic Surface
(KD55A8F)
RRP: $3,999  $1,999
spacer_1px_transparent.gif
KD65A8F
65" A8F 4K HDR OLED TV with Dolby Vision & Acoustic Surface
(KD65A8F)
RRP: $5,999  $2,999
Edited by PositivelyMusicallyGeared
  • Like 1

that is very cheap. but its the model superseded 6 months ago  isn't it ? just clearing stock I imagine since the A9F has been around since mid 2018 ? 

CES is also coming only a week or so away ? imagine the 2020 range is soon due ? probably doing their best to clear old stock. hard to understand why these earlier release models are still in stock ? am I missing something ? 

The pricing is all over the place. I’m well aware of TVs in general, Sony models specifically on special, discounted, really the price hasn’t moved. I think a well known marketing tool. I suppose their only doing their job.

Might visit a local JB store to negotiate directly maybe tomorrow.. Seemed to work before Christmas but silly me didn’t take the offers..

Having checked most of the Boxing Day sale catalogues from the various suppliers there are some deals out there but nothing really stands out as being outstanding.

I was intending to buy a new tv from these sales but so far it looks like I'll be waiting  a bit longer.

cheers Terry

• Like 1

Guest thathifiguy
16 hours ago, betty boop said:

that is very cheap. but its the model superseded 6 months ago  isn't it ? just clearing stock I imagine since the A9F has been around since mid 2018 ? 

A8F not superceded, just a lower range than A9F. Two OLED ranges this year.

35 minutes ago, thathifiguy said:

A8F not superceded, just a lower range than A9F. Two OLED ranges this year.

I see... obviously collapsed in pricing then in that case. not doing so well ? 

or is the usual sony method where they bring out new model and keep the older model for those who cant afford the new one :D 

I hope the ACCC get onto them. as when you display a special with a price marked down from original they have to prove in recent times it actually sold for that amount. and not just that... someone actually paid that much. wish them well :)

• Like 1

Having checked most of the Boxing Day sale catalogues from the various suppliers there are some deals out there but nothing really stands out as being outstanding.  

I was intending to buy a new tv from these sales but so far it looks like I'll be waiting  a bit longer.

cheers Terry

Most stores have told me that they get the prices from the manufactures/distributor, sometimes daily. Its not their fault, they say.. atm I could have purchased cheaper before Christmas.. Just wondering if this is a new tactic.. customers thinking the prices will be cheaper with the sales after Christmas.. People see the discounted price tags and think they’re cheaper but not really.

Although below the RRP, there’s a profit margin in there somewhere for everyone

Online sellers are putting huge pressure on retailers in general , I'm sure this trend will continue from now on to keep stock moving as new models are coming out all the time 

Kensell , if you hang out for a bit you'll probably get the same sort of deal on the 2019 TVs within a few months ...... l went the AF8 because my pana plasma had died awhile ago and l was filling in with the spare tv , anyway good luck !

4 hours ago, betty boop said:

I hope the ACCC get onto them. as when you display a special with a price marked down from original they have to prove in recent times it actually sold for that amount.

You don't when you say "recommended retail pricing"  ;) 

EDIT:  I am wrong about this.    Even if it IS only the RRP (which most people know the product rarely sells at), they have to be able to demonstrate the product really sold for those prices.

Although looking at the sony store prices, they do seem to have the products for sale @ rrp

Edited by davewantsmoore

1 hour ago, kesa32 said:

All retailers use the old rrp to make the discount look better ,,,,, been going on forever lol  , no sane person these days pays the rrp

I've studied consumer law and its against the law. you can lol if you want and am sure thats what retailers are doing. but the law is written with regards strike through pricing and two price comparison advertising including where rrp is used.

https://www.accc.gov.au/publications/advertising-selling/advertising-and-selling-guide/pricing/two-price-comparison-advertising

"Businesses using statements such as 'savings' or 'discounts' when comparing a sale price to the RRP of goods and services may convey to potential customers that they are getting a good deal because the sale price is less than the RRP. If the product has never been previously sold at the RRP, or the RRP does not reflect a current market price, then this type of comparison may, depending on the circumstances, misrepresent the savings that may be achieved.

It is good business practice and fair trading risk management to keep records substantiating any two-price comparison claim, as you may be required at some later point to substantiate such a claim to an ACL regulator, including the ACCC. The ACL regulators have the power to compel you to substantiate such claims.

It is also important to remember that a 'sale' or 'discounted' price should only be available for a limited period. This is because if a reasonable amount of time has elapsed and an item is still 'on sale', the discounted price effectively becomes the new selling price, so it may be misleading or deceptive to continue to call it a 'discount' or 'sale' price."

If I have some time later I'll lodge a accc complaint as it only takes 5 min through their website :)  edit done and reported to accc. will leave to them to deal with :)

• Like 1

Online sellers are putting huge pressure on retailers in general , I'm sure this trend will continue from now on to keep stock moving as new models are coming out all the time 
Kensell , if you hang out for a bit you'll probably get the same sort of deal on the 2019 TVs within a few months ...... l went the AF8 because my pana plasma had died awhile ago and l was filling in with the spare tv , anyway good luck !

I think that’s the OLED?? Hmm the 65” is still a bit dear for me unfortunately.. currently looking at the X90f..