Anechoic chamber's

Goodaye all

Had the oppitunity to to go into a anechoic chamber when l was working on Ultrasonic welders many years ago.

First thing l noted how the lack of sound was unnerving.

Second thing was the ring in my left ear, yes titinus.

Never noticed it before and today only notice it  when l listen for it.

Has anybody else had this oppitunity and what did you hear?

regards Bruce

• Like 1

RMIT in Melbourne use to have one at the top end of Swanston Street.  The building has had severe renovations so I’m not sure if it’s still there.   But in the days it was used by companies like Telecom (Telstra)   They use to use it to measure how effective the materials used to divert or absorbed sound energy in phone booths when I went in High school.  Building material companies such as insulation batts were also tested there.   

Yes, as you enter such a quite place you will notice some titinus, for me it’s the right ear.

Adelaide Uni Anechoic Chamber. One of the best around. The whole chamber is made of thick concrete and  suspended on massive springs within another large concrete room to provide an extremely low noise floor. The fibreglass wedges were like a metre long all the way around and even under a lightweight mesh floor that you had the walk on carefully.  I used to spend hours in there for research whist at the Uni and then later for testing/research as an acoustics consultant. 

At the beginning it was the swish of blood in my head that I used to hear. It was quite annoying after a while! 

Later, i used to try to shut my eyes and try to hear the location of reflective items within the room, like equipment racks or test articles by lightly tapping my foot on a notebook and try to 'hear' the location of the reflected noise. A bit hit and miss but fun all the same. 

Now, I reckon it would just be the strong ring of tinnitus  unfortunately. 

14 hours ago, christosd said:

Adelaide Uni Anechoic Chamber. One of the best around. The whole chamber is made of thick concrete and  suspended on massive springs within another large concrete room to provide an extremely low noise floor. The fibreglass wedges were like a metre long all the way around and even under a lightweight mesh floor that you had the walk on carefully.  I used to spend hours in there for research whist at the Uni and then later for testing/research as an acoustics consultant. 

At the beginning it was the swish of blood in my head that I used to hear. It was quite annoying after a while! 

Later, i used to try to shut my eyes and try to hear the location of reflective items within the room, like equipment racks or test articles by lightly tapping my foot on a notebook and try to 'hear' the location of the reflected noise. A bit hit and miss but fun all the same. 

Now, I reckon it would just be the strong ring of tinnitus  unfortunately. 

I was going to like your post until the final sentence - I can't like that!

Interesting your experiments to locate items by sound.  There are many blind people who learn this technique - they make a clicking/clucking sound with their mouth and listen to the echo.  On one doco there was one blind man who could ride a bike fast through bush using this technique.

Edited by audiofeline