SHOULD SUBWOOFERS BE ON THE FLOOR?

hmm bought a pack of 4 washing machine anti vibration pads from bunnings for $5...

is it off the floor if its at the back of a riser? there are many variations on google search as to having the sub actually raised of the floor by placing on a decoupling platform. i think it would depend on your room acoustics, the sub in question ie: front firing/ down firing, size, placement and your "perceived" improvement based on how much you are spending :-)

• Like 1

Was curious to hear your opinions on this subject and also how you have your sub set up position- is it sitting on the  floor, spikes or and also any changes you had after the mods you made
Yes, spikes or rubber feet are a good thing to reduce transferred sound waves and retain the most integrity of the source sound waves.

This is due to transferred sound waves, such as through a wooden floor, the sound waves obviously don't transfer through wood as well as they do just in the air.
The sound waves get slowed down and different frequencies carry through the materials whilst others not so much.

Basically as minimal transferred LFE waves you can achieve the more accurate your bass will sound.

subs should go where they sound best.

I would always recommend de-coupling subs from room boundaries, but the smoothest bass requires experimentation for the room position where the sub works best.

The easiest way to determine this is to place the sub at the listening position (where your ears would be), and measure the response with a microphone at each possible sub position...sounds hard but is way easier than moving the sub to each position

Place the sub at the mic position that had the best response - which may not be on the floor...or whatever position best balances room aesthetics/ergonomics and smooth bass response...the position for best bass may not work aesthetically/ergonomically in the room.

cheers

mike

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, 88hht said:

spikes for carpet   and rubber feet non slip for hard floor is what I tend to go with....  also if its a single sub  then as mentioned above, place where it sounds best for seating position....

Yeah, I do spikes through carpet onto the concrete floor which is set into mother earth.  Rock solid, so to speak.

Subs are just like real estate ... position position, position.

• Like 1

Subs should be positioned where they sound the best.

For my room, the bass would diminish at my seated position.

Moved the sub to many positions around the room, and the result was always poor.

Plenty of bass when standing up, poor bass when seated.

Eventually moved the sub up onto a bookcase, in the hallway.

Not super bassy, but even accross the room, seated area.

Standing waves are a *****, S.

Edited by krakatoa
typo
  • Like 1

Krakatoa, I have fairly even bass in the listening chair, (which is out from the walls for flattest overall response). 

As soon as I get out of the chair, there is too much bass, if I go into a corner, even more. Nevertheless, in the listening chair, it is very nice. That is normal.

Oh and because I can aurally locate my sub, because the Lowpass isn't steep enough, I have it directly behind the chair, against the wall, so the bass isn't pulled left or right. Tried 2 subs in various locations and the measurements were never as good as when I went back to 1.

Edited by Nigel

14 minutes ago, Nigel said:

As soon as I get out of the chair, there is too much bass, if I go into a corner, even more. Nevertheless, in the listening chair, it is very nice. That is normal.

agreed - the bass changes markedly when you move around the room as your ears move through the peaks and dips in the room caused by modal behaviour.

The goal is to get the smoothest bass at the listening position/s.

Getting the bass right for multiple seats is harder.

If I have a friend over I typically let them sit in the sweet spot, and just for fun I'll often sit in the rear corner to listen to the elevated bass.

cheers

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, awayward said:

Is that on carpet?

And if so is there an improvement in sound with the chopping blocks?

Yes on carpet. I've never tried it without the blocks tbh. It's not state of the art of course but in a smallish listening room the bass sounds full and pretty controlled. I use the bamboo blocks for all my components so made sense to pop one under the sub :)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Troyus_ said:

I put wheels on mine. Raises it and easy to move around :)

wheels/castors on a floor (not carpet) would be regarded as "coupled" to the floor, same as spikes, or sitting directly on the floor.

At the wavelengths produced by a sub, the "raising" makes no difference.

"Easy to move around" makes a lot of sense :)

cheers

Mike