Panasonic TV white spot

Noticed yesterday a bright white spot in the middle of my Pana LED TV. 

Has anyone had this problem and had it fixed and if so, how much am l looking at to get it sorted.  l think it's something to do with the back lighting.

The  55 inch TV is out of warranty, but it's only 3 years old.

Edited by Grumpy

2 hours ago, davewantsmoore said:

Speak to retailer, and to Panasonic tech support.     From description is sounds extremely unlikely to be something which can be repaired economically.

Thanks for the reply @davewantsmoore . Spoke to the tech support on line and they want pics of the screen and info about the purchase.

It is out of warranty  -  but surely a modern expensive tv should be trouble free for more than 3 years  ???????

@Grumpy

This is a typical case of warranty offered by the supplier and the warranty that should be available under statutory obligations.

I am not able to link the relevant website. Please Google Statutory rights and read what the ACCC says.

Edited by Jventer
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Grumpy said:

expensive tv should be trouble free for more than 3 years

Yes.   Assuming it's a true defect with the product, then yes, you should lead with the expectation of them (the retailer) making it right.

If it is not easily repairable (which it likely) ..... then there might be some resistance from them (as the "remedy" could be a "new tv").

Edited by davewantsmoore
  • Like 1

On some back lit screens the reflectors  that are stuck on the LEDs can come unstuck and fall off , this causes a white spot to appear in that area , the only fix for this is to remove the LCD screen  and glue them back on .

9 minutes ago, lgsam said:

On some back lit screens the reflectors  that are stuck on the LEDs can come unstuck and fall off , this causes a white spot to appear in that area , the only fix for this is to remove the LCD screen  and glue them back on .

Thanks @lgsam  Yea l read something about that with a brief google search  - l fear the outcome .

It all depends on what the white spot is?

If it’s a single pixel failure, it be a single sharp spec and white usually draw your eyes to it.   Manufacturers sometimes define a “number of failed pixel” in order to justify replacement and thats not determined  by the place of purchase. 

However a large white patch is a different issue and it’s usually components dislodging or moisture effected, either way it’s not repairable and it’s replaced on warranty.  However outside warranty your on your own 

Edited by Addicted to music

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE !

Panasonic sent out a service tech yesterday to see if it is a manufacturing fault or otherwise. One quick look confirmed it as a manufacturing fault with the backlight panel (which he has seen before, but not often). He said it can't be fixed and he then took the back cover off to cross out the ID code so they will know that it will not, can not, be recirculated. It will need to be replaced

He has to report the finding to Panasonic and I await their decision on what happens next.

Fingers crossed

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Another UPDATE.

Panasonic has offered me a choice of 3 replacement 55" TV's with the lower spec'd one costing me nothing , or the next 2 better spec'd TV's at small increases of payment for each one. I've gone for the best one of the three - a FX800.

I'll make the payment next week and then they will deliver it free and set it up for me.

I suppose I could have haggled a bit more, but considering the warranty ran out over 2 years ago I think I'm happy with the outcome and Panasonic's dealings with me via email and phone calls.

Edited by Grumpy
  • Like 2

On 20/12/2018 at 1:05 PM, Grumpy said:

Noticed yesterday a bright white spot in the middle of my Pana LED TV. 

Here's the fix for this if your capable, make sure you take pictures of each phase of dismantlement.

I did one myself for my brother's tv, he moved and must have twisted or knocked it, it's just one of the led lenses has come adrift. Some glue (I used 5min Araldite), time and patience and it's an easy fix. Check all the others, as well.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/selleys-24ml-araldite-5-minute-epoxy-adhesive_p1230054

Cheers George

Edited by georgehifi

1 hour ago, Grumpy said:

Panasonic will be taking the tv away when they deliver the replacement tv.

Wow I would have grabbed it if you were in Sydney.

Panasonic will just take it to E-waste, what a shame you can't give it to someone, with the video link on how to fix it.

Cheers George

Edited by georgehifi

5 hours ago, georgehifi said:

Wow I would have grabbed it if you were in Sydney.

Panasonic will just take it to E-waste, what a shame you can't give it to someone, with the video link on how to fix it.

Cheers George

Yes ! i'm sure my grandkids would have liked it for their gaming and music clip watching.

I assume it's an insurance thing with Panasonic ?

On 03/02/2019 at 2:35 PM, Grumpy said:

Panasonic will be taking the tv away when they deliver the replacement tv. If l didn't get a favourable outcome from panasonic l might have given the `fix' a go.

Thanks @georgehifi

Lets us know what you think of the new TV as I would be interested in reading your thoughts on it once you had it up and running for a bit.

I have mine set in viewing mode for "True Cinema" most of the time

Occasionally on some of the 4K Ultra demos on youtube I put it to "Dynamic" and I am blown away. Dynamic does not not seem to work with most movies/TV as it seems overblown but some stuff is jaw dropping good.

Edited by rocky500

1 hour ago, rocky500 said:

Lets us know what you think of the new TV as I would be interested in reading your thoughts on it once you had it up and running for a bit.

Occasionally on some of the 4K Ultra demos on youtube I put it to "Dynamic" and I am blown away. Dynamic does not not seem to work with most movies/TV as it seems overblown but some stuff is jaw dropping good.

The "Dynamic" mode works the best for display of fireworks.

2 hours ago, rocky500 said:

Will do .

I have to make the small-ish payment tomorrow then wait for the delivery.

My current faulty cx740 has quite a good picture so im expecting the fx800 to look impressive - not OLED , but the next best in Panasonics 2018 55" 4K  range .

• 3 weeks later...

I now have 3 white spots on the screen.

If the led reflectors are falling off by themselves, this could be faulty glue (or water based eco glue) used in production. Or if the TV is wall mounted, this can get the internals hotter than stand mount and cause the glue to give way.

Cheers George     

Edited by georgehifi

21 hours ago, georgehifi said:

I now have 3 white spots on the screen.

If the led reflectors are falling off by themselves, this could be faulty glue (or water based eco glue) used in production. Or if the TV is wall mounted, this can get the internals hotter than stand mount and cause the glue to give way.

Cheers George     

Thanks for the reply. The TV sits on a cabinet .Seems like l got one with bad glue

2 hours ago, Grumpy said:

Seems like l got one with bad glue

Yes bad glue is something that it could be.

Other things I tried to think of other that could make this glue separate lens from the backlit leds.

Air-con drying out the glue?

Direct summer sunlight cause higher heat so the glue separates?

Moving it too much,  it's very easy to twist these thin tv's causing the glue to break?

Cleaning the screen could give pressure to the lenses causing the glue to crack

If you google there seems to be many brands with this white spot problem, all backlit naturally when the lens falls off, no edge lit they just go dark overhaul top to bottom on that side if the led blows.

Here is the differences of edge lit vs back lit

https://www.the-home-cinema-guide.com/edge-lit-vs-back-lit-led-tv.html

Cheers George 

Edited by georgehifi