Sign in to follow this  
Dv p

Is Denon avr-x1500h good choice for Monitor Audio Brone/Silver bookshelves

I’m new to Stereophile scene. I auditioned MA Bronze 2 and like it. Denon x1500h was suggested with speakers. 

If I can find second hand MA silver 100s at price slightly higher then new Bronze 2s, I would get them

Sugestions welcome. 

What is your budget? And what is your mix between music and movies?

9 minutes ago, Dv p said:

@Snoopy8 My budget is ~$2k. Music 60%, Movies 40%. Thanks

Sorry, a few more questions.  Is that the budget for everything, including AVR, speakers (how many?) and sub ?   What are you using as sources for music and movies?  Want Atmos for movies?  What is size of room and is it dedicated or shared?   The more information you can provide on your requirements, the better...

@Snoopy8 It's budget for bookshelves pair and AVR. Sub would be added later with extra budget of ~1k (svs sb-1000). For now music would be streaming from Spotify very high bitrate. I would buy CD/blu-ray player later when budget allows. No atmos for now but might add it later. It all depends on monies available :P

But this system build is primarily focused on music. Though it should be able to do movies. Is that fair ask?

Room is approx 5x4 meters. Opening on one side to kitchen/dining. It's a shared room. 

As I said, I am new to the scene and open to suggestions. It should not be crazy costly though. My research currently seems to be going down the rabbit hole with million things to consider. 

17 minutes ago, Dv p said:

But this system build is primarily focused on music. Though it should be able to do movies. Is that fair ask?

That is the big challenge!  AVRs are focused on movies rather than music. Given you are yet to get a sub and am focused on music, I would suggest getting an integrated amp with HT bypass, maybe from the classifieds.  Then add a used AVR with pre-outs and a sub for movies when funds permit.

However, if you are set on a new AVR, then suggest going Marantz who do music slightly better than Denon.  As a personal preference, prefer sound of Denon/Marantz to Yamaha, but there are plenty of Yamaha fans here.  Suggest you listen to a number of AVRs with your favourite music and pick the one which sounds best to you.  When comparing, you should ignore the so-called power per channel, which is misleading; use the total power consumption as a better guide, the higher the better.  Also look for runout of previous models which represents better value for money.

I have not specified any particular AVRs because your ears are the best guide.  There are many good retailers in Melbourne for you to audition.  

Lastly, spend more on better speakers now...  So suggest MA Silver 100s.

@Snoopy8 I really appreciate your efforts to set the n00b like me in the right direction. I would like you to suggest some good `integrated amp with HT bypass` to point me in the right direction.

25 minutes ago, Dv p said:

@Snoopy8 I really appreciate your efforts to set the n00b like me in the right direction. I would like you to suggest some good `integrated amp with HT bypass` to point me in the right direction.

Good that you liked my diagram in the other post.  Sorry, I am no expert in integrated with HT bypass (have active speakers).  Suggest you start a new thread and post your requirements, budget and as much info as possible. And if you see something in the classifieds, please post your questions. 

Noob or not does not matter. Trust your ears is the advice I often give.

Good luck with your search...

Hi,

As Snoopy8 said stereo integrated amplifier with HT bypass is the way to go. Few months ago somebody was happy with Musical fidelity amp + MA silver or gold. MF M5si has enough power to go with any speakers. 

The purpose of budged is to go over the budget.    

@Irek it’s not my budget, it’s my wife’s budget. Lol 😝 

I can confirm that Marantz and Monitor Audio work well together, however be wary of SRxx10 series AVRs with Samsung 4k TVs via HDMI - they really do not get along. Apparently this has been rectified in later models, but I can't say I know for sure. 

You could always start with the AVR and get the integrated stereo amp with HT bypass later if you feel the need and insert it into the chain then. Alternatively you could get an AVR with preouts and add a stereo power amp later. I suppose it depends on whether you believe audio fidelity is primarily a pre or a power thing.

[For the record, I still don't know, although the more money you have, the more likely you are to determine the answer is "both".]

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this