Sign in to follow this  
betty boop

Lose It !

Discovered this lately and not something ever done, and thought worth sharing as seems to be getting some significant results.

as a bit of a back ground, been keen to loose some 16 kg ! which sounds  like a lot ! but I have already lost 5 of those kgs ! so  only 11 to go :)

I found i had plateuad a bit after loosing a couple of kgs and thought even with exercising a great part of what was contributing to my weight was food. so was looking around to find something to look up KJ in food and such and discovered this app called 

Lose it !  while its a free app there is also a web version and its linked to the app if you are using the app

https://www.loseit.com

what is so unique about this thing. well I noticed it geographically can be setup for australia. ie can scan foods.... also it can link into my apple watch. the other thing I noticed straight aways is after you put in your gender, age, height weight etc it asks you for a goal. and it gives some options. I took a relatively benign time line to get to weight I want by April ie before wedding anniversary.

and off I went ... and there have been some surprising side effects. eg I nearly freaked when I put in a couple of slices of pizza we had. even a flat white coffee ! and then blown away how much a handful of almonds packs in energy !  I am now in the regime of putting in all I eat for breakfast, lunch dinner and snacks. IT is also logging all my exercise through the apple watch and tells me how much I am under budget for the day for kj and also spreads out an allowance for each meal and tells me how much I have in reserve 

I lost pretty much 2+ kg in the first week  ! as it pretty much wiped out my snacking I was doing ! wife has immediately noticed.... and after 7 days of use its revised my expected goal date back from April to 26th Jan as quite achievable. my daughters birthday so gives me something to work to :)

some screen shots from the app...

revised goal after a 7 day streak

IMG_7570.png

can see how it tracks the break down of food types I am eating and nutrient components, 

IMG_7571.png

how I am tracking day by day with kJ 

IMG_7572.png

below is a screen shot of todays log so far, can see logging basically fruit so far, I am staying lite, as we have tacos / burritos planned for this evening so allowing a bit of energy there at dinner time so I dont go over :D 

IMG_7575.png

note its also capturing all my exdercise

IMG_7574.png

will see I have started walking to the gym its only a short walk but it all counts !  and sure beats driving :) 

there are all sorts of ways of motivating yourself and having the regime to loose weight and gain fitness. I wanted to share to inspire anyone looking to jump in but also incase there are others using apps and such to Lose it ! :D 

ps if this app does get me to my goal, I will indeed buy the premium version, its a small cost I would say in the overall of what it would have helped me achieve ! :) 

Well done Al,

It always pleases me when I read stories like this.

I used to use MyFitnessPal to track my nutrition.

I much prefer to use the term nutrition rather than diet. To me diets are temporary, too restrictive to fit into an everyday lifestyle where as a well thought out nutrition plan will become a habit that you can follow everyday.

Another tip is more often that not the kj estimated for exercise is overstated, which can lead you into thinking you need to increase your intake to compensate for kj burned.

Once you manage to kj per day another thing would be to look at your macro intake.

I see a lot of fat and carbs with little protein.

There are many resources for estimating an ideal macro intake depending on your goals.

Again, keep up the good work 👍

Great. I hope it works for you. I've found previously I only kept logging on myfitnesspal for around 2 weeks. It was just too cumbersome. But then again I'm not 1 for drilling down into every detail.

I don't know time span that macro nutrient pie chart was for, but 55% carbs, whoa, you ain't going to lose significant weight long term at that % unless VERY active. As I'm sure you know, any carbs ingested over and above what the body needs for glycogen production, is going to be stored as fat.

The whole obesity epidemic would disappear over night if western cultures went back to how we ate in the early 70's, before the brainwashing of us to follow the eating pyramid, and fast food chains everywhere. I went to a food court last Thursday night and found it almost impossible to to find a meal free of carbs or sugary sauces. Ended up with Nandos chicken and a side salad.

There is more than 1 way to skin a cat, as they say, but if you can cut out the sugar and reduce carbs, you will see greatly accelerated weight loss.

I've been naughty this week and had too much scotch over the weekend and snacked on too many hands full of nuts, so although I've stayed in ketosis, I've spent most of the week trying to get back down to my weight of last Friday. I still should have a net loss this week after putting 1kg on over the weekend.

34 minutes ago, todagt said:

There are many resources for estimating an ideal macro intake depending on your goals.

I'm finding it too hard to get my head around the "therapeutic keto diet", where the ratio of fat to protein is 4:1 😧, but of course hardly any carbs and zero sugar, except fructose from fruits like berries. Apparently the vast majority of "keto" dieters eat too much protein and not enough fats. I'm falling into that camp.

@betty boop do you have a routine for going to the gym? If it's early morning try going before eating, and try and hold out an hour or 2 afterwards before having brunch/lunch.

I find if eating directly after a workout, I'm more likely to eat the cupboard bare. Last weekend I did a moderate intensity 45km bike ride at 7am, hadn't eaten since 7pm the night before and didn't eat till midday, where I had some left over pork steak and "kaleslaw"

https://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/2017/06/08/how-fasted-workouts-can-help-you-achieve-fitness-goals_a_22131508/

Yep, agree with MyFitnessPal needs a big commitment to accurately track. But again the scan feature makes adding food very quick.

Below is a screenshot of the macros I was using.

I no longer track my food intake as I now have my nutrition built into my day to day life.

And totally agree on eating out, it's very hard to find suitable food and I too have just settled for a Nando's grilled chicken salad.

Screenshot_20181219-161941.thumb.png.6a96dde54296a14e188d12aaf8c3de92.png

I am not doing ketosis (again that diet word thingy), far to difficult for most to commit to and I still want to enjoy life with friends and family ie: eating out, bbqing, having a drink etc.

My food day to day still hits these macros as I occasionally log the odd to day to make sure I'm still in check.

Another tip for Al,

A lot of calorie calculator tools way over estimate the additional calories for activity levels.

Best to use them in putting in low as the activity settings.

20 minutes ago, todagt said:

I am not doing ketosis (again that diet word thingy), far to difficult for most to commit to and I still want to enjoy life with friends and family ie: eating out, bbqing, having a drink etc.

I'm only doing Keto to get the weight off quicker, but will maintain intermittent fasting long term. I have really noticed a calmer mind and less stress on Keto though, even though I'm extremely busy coming up to Christmas. The fasted training is great, as long as you aren't pushing to your limits. My hope is with weight loss and increased aerobic fitness with fasted training, I will get to a point where I want to push myself bike riding again, as I might have half a chance of matching my "before kids" times up climbs etc.

I should also add.

For me, protein and fat were targets with carbs variable depending on how much exercising I had done or planned to do.

For Al, if your goal is to cut down on carbs.  The easiest way to make a start is to cut out added sugar (especially in hot drinks) and white bread and white rice.

Edited by todagt

thanks guys, some good thoughts there. it certainly has highlighted to me the opportunities in my diet. certainly some work can do with balance :) 

1 hour ago, todagt said:

For Al, if your goal is to cut down on carbs.  The easiest way to make a start is to cut out added sugar (especially in hot drinks) and white bread and white rice.

not a goal per say :) my goal is loose weight. so working on the principle that if input far exceeds output then you get accumulation (first year chem eng :D  ) and I think thats the basis of the app. its working on an energy balance. I'm quite a deficit so far each day and why I am loosing weight. theoretically I can actually work to their formula and will loose weight at the rate to take to goal but am going under which is good ... hopefully means get there faster :D  and their model says i likely will jan 26th rather than April I was thinking earlier. anyways lets see :)

I'm not working to a diet as such, just wanting to eat healthy. and a balance. there's a few things I want to include thats fruits vegetables as thats important for immune system. similarly grains for fibre. I am not too fussed on carbs or protein. protein specifically I dont need to have out of kilter as comes with a lot of energy and I dont need to bulk muscle thats heavier than fat :) 

eg our burrito/taco dinner. I cant see anything wrong with that, a bit of protein a bit of vegetable a bit of carb. I dont think too out of kilter anyways. I had 3 serves :D could had 2 but they're only little and delicious  ! have to live life.. and it still only topped out at 1134kj for dinner which isnt a lot. even if its twice that am doing pretty ok with a 7000kj deficit still for the day. which even if is twice what actually is, is still a good thing towards getting there :) 

anyways lets see :) but definitely the app gives me awareness as a no 1, better understanding of foods so I can better balance and control ! 

1 hour ago, todagt said:

definitely and already done....

cut right down the coffees in a day...  only 1-2 a day and mostly just instant...

most days dont eat bread from breky or for lunch or dinner (rarely eating bread actually now). I used to regularly eat a slice for breakfast, often a slice or two for lunch and a slice or two for dinner.

that said if an ideal accompaniment I'll have it. I dont need to bypass the enjoyment of it. but more removing from routine :)

3 hours ago, blybo said:

@betty boop do you have a routine for going to the gym? If it's early morning try going before eating, and try and hold out an hour or 2 afterwards before having brunch/lunch.

I've learnt something here from my doc. I have half a banana before going to the gym. its usually early morning after I have finished with my requisite part in getting kids ready in the morning. then head off to the gym. only a couple of days a week. other times it will be a run, or bike ride or walk.

unfortunately many years ago I had an experience of going to gym (was a gym junky) and I am not a breakfast person. so woudl always go before breakfast. ten minutes in work out I couldnt see. all fuzzy vision, dizzy. had to lean against a wall and then go get something to eat. anything. turned out was blood sugar related. I dont have diabetes but my doc recommends something ... anything but something before gym or exercise in the morning. I dont come back and eat breakfast. might just have a coffee thats all. 

also I am in essence sticking to the one main meal a day it can be either lunch or dinner but not both. eg. today if look up I just grazed on a couple of fruit during the day and that tided me over till dinner. and thats it not planning to eat anything else for the day :) typically I personally have found I prefer the main meal to be lunch and then evening is just fruit or something. but its heading into school holidays so I have to wary that with the kids around and so will have to exercise far more self control so I don't end up having 2 main meals because they want to :)  I didnt join my daughter for lunch today for instance. 

4 hours ago, blybo said:

Great. I hope it works for you. I've found previously I only kept logging on myfitnesspal for around 2 weeks. It was just too cumbersome. But then again I'm not 1 for drilling down into every detail.

I don't know time span that macro nutrient pie chart was for, but 55% carbs, whoa, you ain't going to lose significant weight long term at that % unless VERY active. As I'm sure you know, any carbs ingested over and above what the body needs for glycogen production, is going to be stored as fat.

The whole obesity epidemic would disappear over night if western cultures went back to how we ate in the early 70's, before the brainwashing of us to follow the eating pyramid, and fast food chains everywhere. I went to a food court last Thursday night and found it almost impossible to to find a meal free of carbs or sugary sauces. Ended up with Nandos chicken and a side salad.

There is more than 1 way to skin a cat, as they say, but if you can cut out the sugar and reduce carbs, you will see greatly accelerated weight loss.

I've been naughty this week and had too much scotch over the weekend and snacked on too many hands full of nuts, so although I've stayed in ketosis, I've spent most of the week trying to get back down to my weight of last Friday. I still should have a net loss this week after putting 1kg on over the weekend.

I'm finding it too hard to get my head around the "therapeutic keto diet", where the ratio of fat to protein is 4:1 😧, but of course hardly any carbs and zero sugar, except fructose from fruits like berries. Apparently the vast majority of "keto" dieters eat too much protein and not enough fats. I'm falling into that camp.

What was the scotch? I can whole heartedly recommend the Glen Scotia 15 as a weight enhancer.

2 minutes ago, betty boop said:

I've learnt something here from my doc. I have half a banana before going to the gym. its usually early morning after I have finished with my requisite part in getting kids ready in the morning. then head off to the gym. only a couple of days a week. other times it will be a run, or bike ride or walk.

unfortunately many years ago I had an experience of going to gym (was a gym junky) and I am not a breakfast person. so woudl always go before breakfast. ten minutes in work out I couldnt see. all fuzzy vision, dizzy. had to lean against a wall and then go get something to eat. anything. turned out was blood sugar related. I dont have diabetes but my doc recommends something ... anything but something before gym or exercise in the morning. I dont come back and eat breakfast. might just have a coffee thats all. 

also I am in essence sticking to the one main meal a day it can be either lunch or dinner but not both. eg. today if look up I just grazed on a couple of fruit during the day and that tided me over till dinner. and thats it not planning to eat anything else for the day :) typically I personally have found I prefer the main meal to be lunch and then evening is just fruit or something. but its heading into school holidays so I have to wary that with the kids around and so will have to exercise far more self control so I don't end up having 2 main meals because they want to :)  I didnt join my daughter for lunch today for instance. 

Oh, Al, you are just getting old. Accept your destiny. Chocolate in your movie room while you make notes on 4k definition benefits

1 minute ago, Super Mustud said:

Oh, Al, you are just getting old. Accept your destiny. Chocolate in your movie room while you make notes on 4k definition benefits

you wouldnt make a very good yoda :D

accept your destiny... dont fight it ... be one with .... 

ps I had to get some glasses for "close work" holding my iPhone further and further and had to upgrade to the larger model this year :D  down quite need glasses for rendering 4k though hehe seem to be ok at that distance still ! 

7 minutes ago, Super Mustud said:

What was the scotch? I can whole heartedly recommend the Glen Scotia 15 as a weight enhancer.

Monkey Barrell. Just a cheapish blend for quaffing

4 hours ago, blybo said:

I went to a food court last Thursday night and found it almost impossible to to find a meal free of carbs or sugary sauces. Ended up with Nandos chicken and a side salad.

this is actually quite a challenge, something all the more aware off 

again here working with the doc, and especially since I travel a bit now and then. mostly day trips so still necessitates at times to catch a meal out. 

when I discovered that the least energy thing in mcdonald's was a egg and bacon muffin I knew I should stay the heck away from that place. I have found subway not too bad, but here have to go the wrap option rather than their rolls. 

seek out deli's and bakeries in country towns. things like ham and salad rolls are still pretty good as a meal.

what I am most amazed with still is fruit ... if you are hungry and looking for a snack. heck you cant beat nature I have found. all the snacking small portion things sold in the shops are pack walloped with energy. so now when I do day trips eg in car I just take some fruit for when peckish. can always pull up at a park or reserve enjoy the sunshine and some fruit. 

4 minutes ago, blybo said:

Monkey Barrell. Just a cheapish blend for quaffing

I like Monkey Barrel with red cordial. Seriously. In the man cave. I'm not going to admit that to anyone except you, Blydo. Keep it a secret between the two of us. Just us.