Sign in to follow this  
soundfan

Neil Young - Ragged Glory II - LP reissue

Neil Young archives will be re- releasing the classic Ragged Glory album, hopefully next year. Spread over 2 LP’s with an additional 38 minutes of tunes recorded during the sessions.

This is one of my fave Neil & Crazy Horse albums, but not sure whether to get excited or not. I have a Reprise UK pressing, but IMO it’s not a great sounding album on vinyl, probably due to the hour-ish long length. Mine sounds compressed and flat. I usually play the CD these days.

Seeing as the additional material will likely be put on one disc, that leaves the original album on the other disc, and I’m not confident it’ll sound great on wax. Now if the release was spread over 3 lp’s I’d be more confident of getting an excellent sounding release.

Thoughts?

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/neil-young-ragged-glory-reissue-770151/amp/

Not familiar with the album, however understand your take on things. They may improve the mix and mastering so that could be a win + extra material.

My feeling has long been that even "non-double" albums sound best when done across 2 LPs, and even better if at 45rpm. But costs are looked at first and quality 2nd in most releases and a kind of "good enough will do" approach is taken as it will sell regardless, and it usually leads to a greater profit margin for the record company.

As you say, I think a lot of the trouble is the length of the groove.

Ragged Glory is a great album for sure but was recorded when Neil was embracing DDD- digital recording, digital mixing, digital transfer. I've noticed the odd vinyl lover voicing sq concerns about modern day digital transfer vinyl repressings.

Since getting a Naim Cd5x, I've collected quite a few Neil albums on hdcd. It would seem that his early analog recordings can be given the hdcd treatment (Harvest, for example) but maybe the DDD albums can't be- Ragged Glory, Weld etc.

I was looking to buy a second copy of this album a few days ago.  Not sure what happened to my copy, it's crackly as hell. not enjoyable.

I've only looked on ebay at this stage.  There were a lot of Neil Young re-issues, but not of Ragged Glory.  There were a few second hand versions ranging from $200 to $800, way beyond my reach or desire.

Does anyone have further info???  I would love to have a clean/new copy.

Cheers.

Ant. 

Ragged Glory has never been reissued.

Not seem or heard of any coming either. 

Might need to give it a spin this weekend, as its been a while. 

10 hours ago, metal beat said:

Ragged Glory has never been reissued.

Hey mate.  Thanks for the info,

Just read the article linked in the first post, and yeah, it mentions it will 'probably' be released on vinyl.

What a shame, there is no way I would fork out $200 for any album.

Will have to pick up a CD, and cross my fingers for a future vinyl re-release.

Cheers.

Ant.