madVR settings and JVC x5900be

I know this topic has been discussed extensively on AVS and I have read a lot on it but here goes. I have been using a media centre for years so installing and setting up filters etc is nothing new. I am currently using madVR with MPC-BE and a UHD friendly drive and some dvdfab software with a 1050ti 4gb (I may upgrade this in the future) being fed to a JVC x5900BE through a denon AVR-X3300w. Now I have a few madVR questions.

Firstly would anyone like to share their settings specifically for this projector series x5900/x7900/x9900 as I am sure they would all be similar? I have put some settings in gathered from various forums and posts but would like someone who knows them better to advise. Does madVR save these in a settings.bin file so maybe this could be shared?

I have madVR changing resolution and refresh rates based on inputted source. Is this the right thing to do or should I keep it at 60hz.

In terms of tone mapping using pixel shading. When I do this the picture looks good but a hdr signal is not sent to my projector. Is this how the tone mapping is done on the Panasonic ub820/9000 new drives and the oppo and possibly the new native 4k JVC’s or is a hdr signal sent after the tone mapping. I am honest this is my first HDR experience as my other Projector did not support this.

Any advice would be welcome.

Thank you

Zeroasylum

Edited by Zeroasylum

Subscribed as I'm virtually in the same boat. JVC x7900 and also have a HTPC running a slim 1050ti 4GB!

Likewise I hope to have a bit of a proper play over the Christmas break so if I come up with anything good settings wise I'll post it here.

I'm also thinking about using KodiDS Player which means I get the ease of use Kodi interface with all the built in IMDB etc data scraping, but then can side load MadVR to get all the visual benefits during playback.

I'll try and setup KodiDS Player this week.

• 3 weeks later...

I would love to learn more about madvr but I find it so daunting that I really don't want to dip my toe in it. And I can't find any video that easily explains it all to me (that's how I usually like to learn). A Sydney madvr learning meet up would be great! Haha

• 2 months later...

I currently use a GTX1070 from my HTPC running JRiver Media Center to a JVC x7500 and can post some madVR specs later (currently running a long running sync test).  Couple of points with my setup, I'm:

- using the latest madVR build from this thread - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/2954506-improving-madvr-hdr-sdr-mapping-projector-189.html

- tone mapping in madVR so I can keep the output at UHD @ 8-Bit.  Apart from the benefit of the high quality in madVR doing the HDR --> SDR tone mapping, you also avoid issues with the JVC Magenta Bug and needing higher than 8-bit.  As our devices have the 18gbs chip, we are limited to a max of RGB UHD 50/60fps at 8-Bit, you can not do 10 or 12-bit as it exceeds the 18gbs bandwidth.

- doing a fps change from JRiver (as this happens prior to playback being started, doing it in madVR does it after playback has started and is generally not a great idea). 

- using madVR to try to tune the refresh rate so as to not drop/repeat frames when bitstreaming the Audio (this is the current test running)/

Hi all,

With work and the rest of life I did not get time to play with settings much so some settings jmone would be amazing. I did upgrade the media center to a 1080 I managed to get for a good price as I felt the 1050ti just could not cut it. Can you post your madvr settings.bin file for download as just makes life easier in getting things right. I do believe madvr is the way to go as a decent rig will outperform any standalone player in terms of tone mapping etc.

Thanks

Zerroasylum

I'll post the bin file later tonight.  Good thing you have gone for a better GPU, the 1050ti would not cut it.  You should also be able to up my settings for scaling (I'm a fan of JINC) as I'm also running it pretty conservatively.  I've also 2 profiles setup to play with, one is for UHD @ 50 & 60p, the rest is for frame rates less than this as there is a big difference between the two (but you will see in my testing the settings are currently the same).

Here is my settings.bin file.

I've also just tuned up my nvidia settings to not drop/repeat frames when bitstreaming (will post a link from Doom9)

settings.bin.pdf

Edit - I had to "add" pdf to the end of the settings.bin file or else I could not upload it.

Edited by jmone
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, jmone said:

Here is my settings.bin file.

I've also just tuned up my nvidia settings to not drop/repeat frames when bitstreaming (will post a link from Doom9)

settings.bin.pdf

Edit - I had to "add" pdf to the end of the settings.bin file or else I could not upload it.

Thank you. No worries about the pdf addition IT is my background :)

On 17/03/2019 at 4:08 PM, jmone said:

- using madVR to try to tune the refresh rate so as to not drop/repeat frames when bitstreaming the Audio (this is the current test running)/

Hi jmone, can you help with a couple of queries concerning your comment above?  Is drifting sync a problem only when using separate sound card and video card, and therefore different clocks? Is it  an issue if audio and video are coming from the same GPU HDMI output - will they use the same clock?  Without your optimised refresh rate settings, how bad is the problem?  Is it noticeable, and in what way?  And, are your optimised refresh settings included in the settings.bin file? (If I could get a damn installer to turn up and fit my projector I could test for myself, but alas, not yet. ?)  Appreciate your advice. Cheers, Allan.

Edited by bigkid

Dropped/repeated frames is a fundamental issue on how the clock works on a PC vs a CE Device.  In Windows, the clock used is the Audio Clock and as a result the video must adapt to be kept in time with this Audio regardless of if the Audio and Video is sent over the same or different physical devices.  That means at some point after the commencement of playback, a Video Frame will be dropped/added to keep the two in sync.  This could be ever few seconds, minutes, hours, or days depending on close the Refresh Rate of the Video is to that used by the Audio Clock and how the Audio Clock will drift over the playback time.  You may or may not notice this but at these points on a movie (say 24fps) there will either be only 23 frames used (eg it will drop one frame), or 25 displayed (eg one frame will be repeated).  It normally looks like a stutter, but is less obvious on static scenes.

So there are 2 ways to deal with this (if it annoys you).

1) Decode & Re-sample: Players like JRiver Media Center has an inbult feature called "Video Clock" where the audio is dynamically resampled to keep it in line with the Video Playback.  Reclock is another filter that can be used in many players.  The downside of this approach is that it only works when you are decoding the Audio in the HTPC and not Bitstreaming it to your AVR.  This approach was perfect for me until ATMOS/DTS:X started becoming more common as you must bitstream these formats.  If you are only running a 7.1 or lower speaker setup this approach is still a great one as you don't have any presence speakers anyway and it just "works" out of the box by selecting the check box for this option.  The only other downside is the pretty ATMOS/DTS:X light on your AVR as the audio is already decoded!!

2) Bitstream & Tune Refresh Rate: This is harder to get right and each PC will be different as the Audio clocks and Video Refresh rates will be different.  First play the video and see in the madVR OSD as see the estimated Drop/Repeat rate.  Mine was about 1 hour on UHD @ 23.976 movies with my refresh rate autochanged set to the matching "23hz" .  That is not too bad as it really be only one drop/add per movie.  If you can live with that let it be.  If you can not (or like to tweak) then there are various ways to create a custom resolution.  madVR (which I used) allows you to do this, many others use CRU.  Your mileage on this will vary.  It took me about 4-hours of trial and error to go from 1 drop/repeat per movie to 0 and may even drift over time.

Thanks jmone for the detailed response. I had thought I had the frame drop fixed by synching the refresh rate with MadVR - it seemed to be negligible or '0' once the video started on my test movies. But watching a ripped iso of a TV show last night and the dropped frames were very high, in the thousands. Might start with jriver as ATMOS will never be an issue for me in a 3.2 system ? 

Thanks again.

Allan

Hi Allan you need to post a screen shot of the madVR OSD stats and then we can tell what is happening.  My profile has a separate profile for higher frame rates where the settings can be turned down if needed (if that is the issue as Owen suggests).