Nao Note Build

This has been a while on the back burner but is now at the front of the queue, I have been waiting for a a quartet of Peerless XXLS 835016 to turn up in the classifieds without luck but managed to find the next best suggestion SLS 830668.

950957757_NaoNote01.jpg.c7aed915f7acaa4d06fcd4fd940aacb5.jpg

The X-Overs are nearing completion and will be mounted externally on top of the sloping bass enclosure.

520228438_X-Over02.jpg.55150606dad13602407ec2861eb5b873.jpg

I decided to mirror image the X-Overs for the sake of symmetry.1821613130_X-Over03.thumb.jpg.553de13ae7a4e0b6f83adef541e1bde9.jpg

Next step is the Mini DSP X-Over for the bass section.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

I had already hit like.

I use the SLS 830668 in my builds.... but have only ever built them all-active  (passive XOs are a right pain, as you have to redesign them whenever you want to change something).

... and the one time I ever built a U-frame prototype, it eve got past the prototype stage (but should work just great, so don't worry).

• Like 1

Hank, good to see this happening. Crossovers looking good. Definitely a big improvement on their previous state.

Are you doing the U frame bass arrangement ?

Looking forward to more updates soon.

Cheers Mike

Edited by Ando

Hi Mike, yes the U-Frame with the open rear. Looking for some correctly spaced ss mesh to keep the stuffing from falling out the back ( a mix of teased out wool and polyester), and will post more pics shortly. I wasn't all that enamoured of the tapered baffle profile and decided to pare that back to a simple rectangle with a magnetic grill to hide all the pulsating bits, and that 8mm steel frame holds the whole kaboodle together nicely. Top baffle isolated by rubber grommets.

1 hour ago, PicoWattson said:

I wasn't all that enamoured of the tapered baffle profile and decided to pare that back to a simple rectangle

http://www.musicanddesign.com/sitebuilder/images/Note_front-210x600.jpg

Do you mean you've continued the baffle up from the 4" driver (instead of tapering in slightly to the tweeter) .... or do you mean you've made the top baffle a rectangle the same width as the lower woofers?  (so no 'skittle shape' at all).    If it's the later, don't do that.

Hank,  I am sure you know this but as Dave says John K designed the speaker with the particular  baffle shape to be a true dipole over the maximum possible range taking into account the drivers different directivities , the crossovers and the exact baffle widths. John was keen not to even vary the baffle thickness . If you use a simple rectangle you will get an ordinary open baffle speaker not the special speaker the Note was designed to be. 

Cheers Mike

I haven't made myself very clear. I haven't changed the original baffle shape at all. ie: what Mike has originally made is left intact. It is now just enclosed within a rectangular skeleton frame and hidden from view with a clip on magnetic grill of opaque cloth so that it appears to be overall rectangular in shape.

On 19/12/2018 at 11:51 PM, PicoWattson said:

It is now just enclosed within a rectangular skeleton frame and hidden from view with a clip on magnetic grill of opaque cloth so that it appears to be overall rectangular in shape.

Oh... that's fine.

Kinda like the Nao Note II RS, then?!  

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRXCGw1JqropSFjBVoNBLL

EDIT:   <facepalm> .... and if I had of read the other posts before replying, then I'd know - Yes.

Edited by davewantsmoore

Not referring to the design of the crossovers but to their construction,. I built the original crossovers as designed by JohnK in rough !  form . When Hank took over the project he rebuilt the crossovers as shown in his pics above .