Bluesound Node 2 Index problem - any suggestions please?

Have any of you Node 2 users experienced this problem, and if so how did you resolve.

I have a library of about 40k FLAC files sitting on a NAS share.  At one point after loading a new Bandcamp purchase the index process stopped working and it seemed that any new files added would not be incoporated through either reindexing or rebuilding options. Using the diagnostic log it shows that the process seems to fall over when I get a "broken pipe" issue.  After attempting to rerun multiple times sometimes the log will show a last file processed - often the same one.  I renoved offending album but teh problem just reemegerd later.

Advice from Bluesound support is that it may be a problem with a file's metadata (though they did not describe what "bad" may look like and therefore i can't easily serach for issues).  They recommended removing whole directory structure from the NAS share and do a reload then reindex process about 5-10 albums at a tim. Ii have 1428 artist folders and many probably around 4500 albums...I have not done the math diectly but I know what it will tell me, and it may measure in doulel digit percentages of my remaining waking hours before passing from the face of this planet.

So my primary question - has anybody have a persistent indexing issue and if so what have you found useful to solve it?  Or should i just train whole family to use Roon and keep my Roon server on 24/7 to use Node 2s as Roon end points and just presume that Node 2 doesn't like bigger libraries.

Thanks all

Just now, Sime V2 said:

If I was you, I’d put all my songs onto an SSD and plug that directly into the Node2 and forget about using the NAS. 

Hmmm - i have the whole lot duplicated in SSDs in the Antipodes server SSDs anyway - so maybe i just need to make the jump and see the Node 2 as simply a box. Will need to navigate sensitivity of other house dwellers who have become accustomed to BluOS.  I will talk about Roon having nice pictures.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dilettanteque said:

Or should i just train whole family to use Roon and keep my Roon server on 24/7 to use Node 2s as Roon end points and just presume that Node 2 doesn't like bigger libraries.

Bugger! Yes, do that, whatever it means...;)

That's why I like vinyl.

Not had the problem with my Bluesound, but my library isn't nearly as large as yours.  Like Simon says, plug drive directly in.

• Haha 1

If I ever had indexing issues, id try and think what recent albums I’d included, take them out and see if it sorted itself, and if that was the case, I’d re-ripp those albums again and the issue was solved. 

7 minutes ago, Citroen said:

Bugger! Yes, do that, whatever it means...;)

That's why I like vinyl.

Not had the problem with my Bluesound, but my library isn't nearly as large as yours.  Like Simon says, plug drive directly in.

After navigating sensitivity of building a study system (something like "that is costing a lot of $, and you will NEVER come out now", and now sensitivity of moving from one iOS music thing to Roon (which she hasn't asked about cost wise but does look at credit card), i am a little nervous about strategy "hey dear, i've been thinking about it and because of all the digital techno mumbo I think I may make a shift to vinyl".  ? I could avoid using term "I think i will just start replicating all my files with vinyl versions". ?

• Haha 1

Its a computer, and all it needs is one wrong 0 or 1 in the wrong place to **** it up.

Just noticed your sig. The NAD 5120 is a great little player. Round or flat arm? Ortofon OM10 cart?

Simon, sounds like he's already tried removing the offending album, but still no good.

Edited by Citroen

1 hour ago, Citroen said:

Its a computer, and all it needs is one wrong 0 or 1 in the wrong place to **** it up.

Just noticed your sig. The NAD 5120 is a great little player. Round or flat arm? Ortofon OM10 cart?

Simon, sounds like he's already tried removing the offending album, but still no good.

I have indeed tried this many a time, but teh ripped stuff is not the issue it seems....and harder to do when buying downloaded files (though i could "convert" through DB poweramp???? to see if this cleans it up somehow...hmmmm).  For some reason a Node 2 has a deep inability to accomodate Courtney Barnett's latest album downloaded from Bandcamp.

It has the flat arm but the round one is tucked away in cupboard. The 5120 is used once a year to play - family Xmas tunes from 1950s World Record Club and Goodyear - Maurice Chevalier, Bing Crosby, etc.  I am the original purchaser in early 80s from when I built my first system ( inc. NAD 3020b,  and the B&W DM110s which i still use and love). Given an overly flexible timber floor at my home at that time my vinyl purchases ceased with advent of CD and my purchase of the Yamaha CD-X2.  Strangely floor in current abode is also a little drummy and poses vinyl issues.

The 5120 prefers to run backwards at times so a little deft flicking of on/off helps it go in right direction when thius happens.  So the motor needs at least a look. Belt drops off regularly when records changed (just needs replacing i am sure as it is original as bits of me probably need replacing after 35 years.  Has a cheap Goldring cart in as a replacement for whatever was there before after an incident when it was playing backward and my daughter didn't notice the anti clockwise motion.  Just so I can play those records at Xmas - not employed as a hi fi compont really - it is largely used to gather dust on its lid and CD cases from what I am listening to mostly.

The interesting thing is my wife and daughter have decided that a turntable may be a good gift for me next year.  I am not sure my wife understands what ongoing expenses that may lead to.

Edited by Dilettanteque

I personally wouldn’t give up on your digital collection try the suggestions I also use an external HD to store the music little bit different though using a Mac Mini with Audirvana haven’t had too many issues also have a vinyl collection CD’S it’s all a bit crazy really.

Not everything is available on vinyl and vice versa.

2 hours ago, Dilettanteque said:

The interesting thing is my wife and daughter have decided that a turntable may be a good gift for me next year.  I am not sure my wife understands what ongoing expenses that may lead to.

Everyone needs a turntable, whether they know it or not!

I like your wife and daughter already.

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Bluesound's troubleshooting is disappointing. 40K songs should be fine. 'Broken Pipe' issues tend to be a loss of connectivity problems. Can you co-locate your NAS and Node ? How busy is your NAS. Deleting the NAS library connection and using a local HDD may be a good test.

3.2.10 code is out. Maybe a upgrade and power off ?

Edited by Cruncher
  • Like 1

Like my other Node2’s , the newer 2i still has its issue of dropping off the network, I have to unplug the network cable and plug it back again to get it to show up. Will do this for a few days and then fix itself till the next time. 

The Bluesound Node 2 /2i are certainly frustrating at times- I have given up trying to load up all my music on the PC to the 2i.

Suspect they are touchy with certain files but impossible to know where.

I found limited success deleting the local share music folder path and reinstalling it.
Even divided my playlist in half so on 2 folders to try and isolate the problem I was having with all album art disappearing and many albums / songs not being loaded up on index despite being in the folder.

Bluesound support was very slow and tedious with very basic suggestions like to reindex after I told them no success doing this.

Like Wolster suggested I just loaded everything onto a hard drive and after a few indexes every single thing is there and working well.
Only problem with the HD is any additional music you add to your PC needs to be added on the drive and sometimes hard to keep up with what's missing.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, evil c said:

Only problem with the HD is any additional music you add to your PC needs to be added on the drive and sometimes hard to keep up with what's missing.

Just a matter of habit.  When you add a new file add it to your drives at that time.  I have 2x external SSD's to 2x DAC/streamers plus my main music back-up HDD (so 3 in total).  I update all at the same time, even if it's one album.  I've added USB 50 cm extension leads for the DAC's to make it all a bit easier.

Just a matter of habit.  When you add a new file add it to your drives at that time.  I have 2x external SSD's to 2x DAC/streamers plus my main music back-up HDD (so 3 in total).  I update all at the same time, even if it's one album.  I've added USB 50 cm extension leads for the DAC's to make it all a bit easier.

I obviously aren't as meticulous and professional as you guys! [emoji4]

However I was merely making a point about their inflexibility and offering my (admittedly limited), insight in the hope of benefiting others experiencing problems with indexing etc.

5 minutes ago, evil c said:

I obviously aren't as meticulous and professional as you guys! emoji4.png

However I was merely making a point about their inflexibility and offering my (admittedly limited), insight in the hope of benefiting others experiencing problems with indexing etc.

Yes we saw what you were adding mate, all good.  I was merely adding that the work around to your identified issue is quite simple.  Further valuable information for those less informed.  :)

I was suggesting using a local hard disc as a test not a permanent change.

Meta-data corruption does not sit with me well. The Node is running boolean logic, that is it will always behave the same way given the same input. Therefore I would expect it to always would stop a track 123 and when you delete it stop at the next corrupted track - consistently. Stopping at different points (variability) with a 'broken pipe' error which from Bluesound's documentation is communications error ( not content error ) would lead me to look into communications drop outs. To eliminate the communications network and protocol stacks at each end I would use a direct attached HDD and see if it able to index your collection.

I use the "Network Shares" storage method ( SMB / CIFS ?) and I have not noticed any drop outs, or reliability with tracks ( I only have 20,000 tracks). Both my devices connect to the same single Ethernet switch. I was no able to get the "Local Shares" method to work.