Sign in to follow this  
TerryO

TerryO’s Stuff

Posted (edited)

When the acoustics guy who measured my room split the upgrade into three stages and told me that first off I should do the Bass traps and front wall I decided that I knew better and would do stage two and some of stage three being the side walls and ceiling.

Anyway last weekend I bought some Viacoustic Bass traps from Kelossus that he recently advertised for a very reasonable price in the classifieds.

Well now having installed the Bass traps I have to admit that I should have listened to young Mr Corsini the acoustics guy in the first place because the improvement caused by the bass traps on their own out weighs the side walls treatment. 

...  :angel:

One interesting outcome from the Bass traps installation again comes down to system and room synergy. I have spent several days swapping and trying out different combinations of components and my preferred sounding PrimaLuna cdp in this room now doesn’t sound quite as good as the Droplet does, that is providing I swap out the Aurealis 12g Dueland cables for the Osborne speaker cables between the Superchargers and the speakers.

With the PL cdp installed the Aurealis cables work much better than the Osborne cables.  Go figure!

6FB89334-3637-496D-8B72-808BFC7E2DEA.jpeg

Edited by TerryO

1 hour ago, TerryO said:

Well now having installed the Bass traps I have to admit that I should have listened to young Mr Corsini the acoustics guy in the first place because the improvement caused by the bass traps on their own out weighs the side walls treatment. 

...  :angel:

It ended well in the end...  👍 

Often getting the bass right is enough, the rest is just icing. But it is the hardest part to do, especially in a non dedicated room. Hence, people focus on the easier higher frequencies first. Hopefully, people will heed what you have posted and focus on the bass first.

Very nice mate, that room is looking spectacular. 

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

It ended well in the end...  👍 

Often getting the bass right is enough, the rest is just icing. But it is the hardest part to do, especially in a non dedicated room. Hence, people focus on the easier higher frequencies first. Hopefully, people will heed what you have posted and focus on the bass first.

Thanks Snoop,

The thing that has blown us away is not only the improvement in the bass but across the whole spectrum, it all sounds so much tighter and precise, especially in voicing and instruments like acoustic guitar, piano and other often solo played instruments, we are hearing bits of music in some recordings we have never heard before.

I always though my system was very resolving but now it’s at a whole new level after fitting these bass traps.

But as I said earlier I had to mix and match components and cables to make the most of it, the upgraded PrimaLuna CDP which previously delivered music in a more musical and dynamic manner to the Droplet now sounds almost bloated and a little harsh, but again that also comes down to matching the right speaker cables and interconnects with components.

Lucky for me the PL CDP works better in our second room anyway so it can be moved there.

Again, to me anyway, it all comes down to system and room synergy and I think we are finally getting the mix just about right.

cheers Terry

Edited by TerryO

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, TerryO said:

The thing that has blown us away is not only the improvement in the bass but across the whole spectrum, it all sounds so much tighter and precise, especially in voicing and instruments like acoustic guitar, piano and other often solo played instruments, we are hearing bits of music in some recordings we have never heard before.

You have hit it on the nail. Getting the bass right affects the whole spectrum and everything else sounds better. 👍

Edited by Snoopy8
Typo

1 hour ago, Snoopy8 said:

You have hit it on the nail. Getting the bass right affects the whole spectrum and everything else sounds better even. 👍

Absolutely, if your going to go into the deep end you've got to get it right.

The funny thing is when you hear sub bass played on it's own it just sounds like a flubbering mess, add the rest of the FR and it all makes sense. It's like the bass carries the rest of the audio spectrum.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, joz said:

The funny thing is when you hear sub bass played on it's own it just sounds like a flubbering mess, add the rest of the FR and it all makes sense. It's like the bass carries the rest of the audio spectrum.

And with an active setup doing the opposite (switching off your bass modules) it sounds worse than a cheap portable speaker.

Edited by Satanica

Posted (edited)

Famous. 

Does this Facebook page ask before they use photos though? 

Screenshot_20190705-204931.png

Edited by Bunno77

10 hours ago, joz said:

Sorry, a bit off track from TerryO's stuff.

I have been playing with a sub lately and a flubbering mess is what I heard coming from the sub with the main speakers off so I switched it off thinking it has a problem or I am doing something wrong!!

Nice room TerryO

31 minutes ago, Hazzzy said:

Sorry, a bit off track from TerryO's stuff.

I have been playing with a sub lately and a flubbering mess is what I heard coming from the sub with the main speakers off so I switched it off thinking it has a problem or I am doing something wrong!!

Nice room TerryO

A sub should be integrated with the main speakers with everything on. Ideally the main speakers should be setup on there own first, then integrate the sub/s to get the right balance of bass and overall sound.

7 hours ago, Satanica said:

And with an active setup doing the opposite (switching off your bass modules) it sounds worse than a cheap portable speaker.

An AM one at that.

its kind of interesting, having an active 4way. I can switch of different drivers. Very interesting results.

In my case I’d miss my subs more than my tweeters, that is if I had to live without one or the other.

then listening to just the tweeters it makes you wonder what they are actually adding. But of course when they play together, magic happens.