7.1.4 Setup and Yamaha Rx A3070

I am planning for a 7.1.4 set up in the Home Theatre being built. The speakers are Klipsch RP series which I already bought. I need to buy the ceiling speakers still.

I have bought A3070 which has a configuration 9.2 and can process 11.2. My understanding is this AVR can power 9 speakers only. However, to use 11 speakers what are the options available for me with least dollars to spend.

1 hour ago, Passin said:

I am planning for a 7.1.4 set up in the Home Theatre being built. The speakers are Klipsch RP series which I already bought. I need to buy the ceiling speakers still.

I have bought A3070 which has a configuration 9.2 and can process 11.2. My understanding is this AVR can power 9 speakers only. However, to use 11 speakers what are the options available for me with least dollars to spend.

can buy a separate amp to power the in ceilings :)

I see the affordably priced amc amps listed above, probably just grab one of those depending on no of channels need. so a slim line 2ch one if thats all need. alternatively grab the 4ch one and take a bit more load off the aVR :)

re the inciting speakers am sure klipsch make some suitable ones :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same receiver,  if you are on a budget  then buy a cheap amp to power the celing speakers.... but if you can afford abit more  then I recommend buying a nice power amp to power the front speakers.... eg  emotive or parasound   

• Like 1

On ‎13‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 10:42 AM, Passin said:

Ive got a emo basx a150 driving 2 of my 5100's ceiling speakers Passin but theres no going past the headroom of the AMC 2 channel for only $600 :) Use it best on the front l/r channels if you can configure the internal amps to ceilings..Or for driving ceilings if you cant . You never know you may use it for 9.1.4 sometime in the future :o

• 2 x 150W @ 8 Ohms
    • 2 x 240W @ 4 Ohms

In fact, I cabled the room for 9.2.6 for future expansion just in case...

My knowledge is zero in power amplifiers. The Yamaha 3070 can power up to 9. May be it is worth considering a 5 channel amp? Beyond $1k would put a pressure on my budget...

4 hours ago, Passin said:

In fact, I cabled the room for 9.2.6 for future expansion just in case...

My knowledge is zero in power amplifiers. The Yamaha 3070 can power up to 9. May be it is worth considering a 5 channel amp? Beyond $1k would put a pressure on my budget...

Even a 3ch emo would be 2k + Passin ; put the money into good speakers that match your Klipsch's and just run the 2ch power amp of your ceiling pre outs if you cant run it of your l/r pre outs and still get the 4 ceilings powered .

Higher channel counts are for the future when higher powered dsp processors trickle down to the average avr ; 7.1.4 is quite adequate for many atmos uhd discs that have been pre rendered for this configuration ; but that's a separate story :)

On 13/12/2018 at 11:10 AM, betty boop said:

can buy a separate amp to power the in ceilings :)

I see the affordably priced amc amps listed above, probably just grab one of those depending on no of channels need. so a slim line 2ch one if thats all need. alternatively grab the 4ch one and take a bit more load off the aVR :)

re the inciting speakers am sure klipsch make some suitable ones :)

I will most likely pick one up for my extra 2 in ceiling speakers for atmos only Al.Just got of the phone to a tech at CHT and have been told that they are reliable. Manufactured in china and come with a 3 year warranty.

Edited by drummerboy01

• 4 weeks later...

If you want cheap trawl gumtree or any 2nd hand means and pickup an older yamaha avr or power amp.

Pass the pre-out on your 3070 into the line-in on the avr or power amp. If there is a trigger in on the older amp connect it to the trigger out on your 3070. All you need then is to setup the trim level.

Then spend what you need for the 4 ceiling speakers, or add the extra to another Sub. If you can fit a 7.1.4 you can do with an extra sub and go 7.2.4.

• 4 months later...

Quick question along the same lines. If you had the AMP wired up for 9ch+RP as per page 31 of the manual can you also have a second zone connected to the speaker output?

I currently have my room wired for 9.2 and that room also drives my outside speakers (in stereo). Page 34 of the manual says both the 2070 and 3070 will do that configuration but I just want to know if I can add two more speakers (driven by an external AMP) and keep everything that I have now? So I am asking if I can end up with 7.2.4 in my main room plus one zone? 

I don't see this option in the manual so I am thinking no and if that is the case then I would just go with a 2070 as I don't think I am gaining anything with the 3070 in my situation (in that I need the second zone).

Thanks for the help!

• 1 month later...

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/01/2019 at 12:13 AM, WasM said:

If you want cheap trawl gumtree or any 2nd hand means and pickup an older yamaha avr or power amp.

Pass the pre-out on your 3070 into the line-in on the avr or power amp. If there is a trigger in on the older amp connect it to the trigger out on your 3070. All you need then is to setup the trim level.

Then spend what you need for the 4 ceiling speakers, or add the extra to another Sub. If you can fit a 7.1.4 you can do with an extra sub and go 7.2.4.

using an "old" AVR as a power amp is a great idea and i did that for quite a few years... 
some AVRs with multi-channel pre-ins (like most yamahas) have a preset volume for "power on" and max level"  if you set both of these to "0dB" you won't have to worry about fiddling with a 2nd volume - or anyone else fiddling with the 2nd volume..
your 3070 will act as a pre-amp and control the volume levels for all channels.
You can also change the remote ID code on most yammy's so they don't muck each other up.
and all you'd need to do with the 2nd yammy is make sure it's only powered on and off and that it's always set to use the multi-ch in and you're in business.