Fetch Owners & Discussion Thread

Well noticed this email from Tivo today, very sad to read... as we have very much enjoyed our TiVos since day one. Anyways followed the link and registered to swap out couple of them. and also decided to check with Optus and changing to a $5 cheaper entertainment plan wiht them they will send us a Fetch Mighty for free !

http://www.optus.com.au/shop/broadband/home-broadband/plans?bt=UDSL&tl=LAU

(dont know how that works) hehe. always will await that,

spacer.gif spacer.gif spacer.gif

Important service announcement: TiVo Service ending on 31 October 2017

After almost a decade of service, we are sad to report that we have reached the end of our TiVo license and the TiVo Service is coming to an end in Australia on 31 October 2017.

The TiVo Service is what delivers electronic programming guide data to your TiVo device each day, so without it, there will be no electronic programming guide and TiVo recording features such as Season Pass and WishList will stop working. For more information on what will and will not work after 31 October see “What does this mean for you and your TiVo after 31 October?”. Your TiVo device will have extremely limited functionality and we discourage customers from using it after 31 October.

TiVo Swap Out Offer

To thank you for your support we want to help you upgrade to the latest in DVR technology and make sure your entertainment doesn’t end here. We are giving you the opportunity to swap your active* TiVo device for a Fetch Mighty device at $100 off the Recommended Retail Price, purchased through Harvey Norman online. That’s $299 based on today’s RRP. (RRP is $399 as at 1/3/17, subject to change.)

*The device must have connected to TiVo Service in 6 months prior to 1 March 2017 to be eligible. Expires 31 October 2017. See here for more information, terms and conditions and to register for your Swap Out.

Read more on the Fetch Mighty vs TiVo comparison.

$100 off RRP for Fetch Mighty:

**To be eligible for the TiVo Swap Out Offer, the TiVo device must have connected to the TiVo Service in 6 months prior to 1 March 2017. Please think of the environment and dispose of this device at your local e-cycling facility.

For further information on the end of the TiVo Service and the TiVo Swap Out Offer, please visit www.mytivo.com.au

We wish you all the best and thank you for your support over the years.

spacer.gif

But anyways before I could say boo. harvey norman drop a line back saying my two new Fetch Mighty units are awaiting pickup at their store local to me ! 

so took two of our Tivo's in and there you go it was ....

goodbye Tivo and hello fetch ! :D

32382784843_c1efdec920_b.jpg

the harvey norman guy was very nice to give me a demo through their unit and talk me through setup and freebies and such .... looking forward to having a play...but will be no doubt we will miss our TiVos....

• Like 1

This is why I never bothered with PVR's with proprietary programme guides. I bought a Magic TV PVR years ago and it runs off the standard over air guide. Anyway AL, you have always been a big fan of the TiVo so the Fetch unit better be good .

Sent from my F1f using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, Saxon Hall said:

Still got your TiVo's or did you hand them in?

Sent from my F1f using Tapatalk

i was smart (or was i ???) and only handed in our 2nd one and my dads. 

so still have the tivo on the main system, wont be terribly missed for the interim in the bedroom can work aound ! my dad will miss his though ! Grrrr ! 

I hope they can sort this soon ! 

the oppo had this same error passing through when they first had it but they did a firmware update to sort. you'd think fetch would do the same ?

Guest thathifiguy
42 minutes ago, :) al said:

not a great start ! Grrrrr ! 

"This content can not be displayed because your TV does not support HDCP 2.2"

groan !!!!

Try one of these

Edited by thathifiguy

6 minutes ago, thathifiguy said:

Try one of these

yeah I went there in the early days of the jvc x7000,  also had the hdfury.

but gee we shouldnt have to go there ! why the added expense plus additional hdmi cable and then running another bit of power. etc 

when its just a matter of a firmware update, like oppo did to sort it out :)

its just matter of getting hand shakes right and fetch recognising the device is not 4k without this error popping up. 

as a note the signal the fetch passes through is not even 4k, its sitting on 720p50 which is even more bizare why it is giving this error. cant change the output either ...tried. can change to 1080p50 and it will change back to 720p50 and thats even when trying with hooked upto the jvc that can take a 4k signal. pity will mean cant watch 1080 TV ??? all very strange ! 

Mmmm  not sure whats going on Al, we have 2 Fetch Mighty and one mini and I think there very good, never had any HDMI handshake issues  - I like the interface and the fact that you get Live TV, recordings, Catch Up TV, Netflix, Stan and even movie rentals all on one box ( we use the ATV way less now ) Picture quality seems good and streaming starts fast.

From memory there is away to force the output resolution, will check when I get home.

3 minutes ago, Chill3 said:

Mmmm  not sure whats going on Al, we have 2 Fetch Mighty and one mini and I think there very good, never had any HDMI handshake issues  - I like the interface and the fact that you get Live TV, recordings, Catch Up TV, Netflix, Stan and even movie rentals all on one box ( we use the ATV way less now ) Picture quality seems good and streaming starts fast.

spoke to marantz earlier...

it would be seem that they found out about this issue back in october last year, have about 15 instances of hdcp error.

and with months of trying to contact fetch it would appear they finally got confirmation that the hdcp hand shake hasnt been implemented properly on fetches part when dealign with a repeater...whcih an intermediate receiver is.

and why there are unresolved issues after issue fo this listed on the optus site as well,

https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/TV-Entertainment/I-m-getting-an-error-that-says-HDCP-Error-when-I-connect-an-HDMI/td-p/163769/page/4

and not just with the marantz brand.

so when are fetch going to issue a firmware update to resolve this ? its now 4 months on from release of this product !

another instance of a half baked product ! unleaded on the unsuspecting !!!

5 minutes ago, Chill3 said:

From memory there is away to force the output resolution, will check when I get home.

I found the video output setting, but it wont let me change it. goes to black screen if i choose 1080i or 1080p and then will come back to 720p50 and this even if feeding the jvc x7000 which will take a 4k signal :)

Yeah, got the same email, but.....................because I had not connected to the TIVO service (???) in the last 6 months I'm not entitled to it.

Was going to put an axe through mine and pop out and pick up a Fetch TV mighty.

2 hours ago, :) al said:

groan !!!!

HDCP 2.2 ????, now i'm wondering if I should wait until they sort it out. Or if I can figure out if my TV is suitable.

• Like 1

Loki if you are going direct to the tv you will be fine

issue  is it can't handle repeating if going via an avr :)

the marantz tech who have dealt with fir years ! Didn't feel the blue stream would help. Even though they sell it. Suggested maybe try one ... perhaps it could if splitting and tricking the fetch it is hooked up to a non 4K tv after the marantz !

cant believe am having this with a PVR though hehe

If swapping I would do soon while HN still have stock. If going direct to tv likely no issue just if going via an avr.

"I reported the problem with my Yamaha receiver back in August. They've known for a long time and just go silent on you. I "solved" the problem temporarily with a simple HDMI splitter."

Someone responded re the same hdcp issue and their Yamaha. Have askedehst they used to get around it :) 

9 minutes ago, :) al said:

Loki if you are going direct to the tv you will be fine

issue  is it can't handle repeating if going via an avr :)

the marantz tech who have dealt with fir years ! Didn't feel the blue stream would help. Even though they sell it. Suggested maybe try one ... perhaps it could if splitting and tricking the fetch it is hooked up to a non 4K tv after the marantz !

cant believe am having this with a PVR though hehe

If swapping I would do soon while HN still have stock. If going direct to tv likely no issue just if going via an avr.

Cheers

Was thinking going through my receiver, but just through the TV would suit me fine.

Use my WDTV live through my receiver for Netflix and streaming movies from server.

• Like 1

have been pointed to one device,

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AU-HDMI-1-4-1-in-2-out-1080p-HDCP-Stripper-Splitter-Power-1x2-Signal-Amplifier-/171901698476?hash=item280623c1ac:g:mfIAAOSwt7pXNDkF

in essence a splitter stripper combined unit. down fall I would be limited to 1080p to both av processor and hence both displays. which would be a pity. as jvc can accept 4k and who knows one day we might end up riding the back of a nbn that can support 4k net flix and what not which the fetch mighty is supposedly capable off ! 

but in interim this splitter stripper could be a good stop gap. person using pretty much tried everything else till was pointed to them to use with the fetch mighty :) and fixed the handshake issue instantly.

• Volunteer
5 hours ago, :) al said:

groan !!!!

That's weird because I got a Fetch last week for the bedroom and I haven't had this issue.

Is this just with Netflix or FTA as well?

1 hour ago, Kazz said:

That's weird because I got a Fetch last week for the bedroom and I haven't had this issue.

Is this just with Netflix or FTA as well?

first thing i saw even switching the unit on ! 

had to fire up and feed the projector before I could see anything come through ! and go through the setup process. what is your bedroom system ? involve an avr thats hdcp 2,2 capable ? and a tv that isnt ? thats my problem am going through a compliant device in the marantz and the fetch from all accounts cant hand shake with those where working as a repeater.... which is the case when pass through and avr or processor and into my pio kuro as am doing.

1 hour ago, Chill3 said:

Al

try this, go through settings and change display resolution make sure you confirm

restart

works for me 

pioneer AVR and Sharp tv, Yamaha AVR and Sony TV 

are your avrs hdcp 2.2 ? feeding 4k or 1080p tellys ?

I popped into office works and grabbed one of these basic 2-1 comsol hdmi splitters, managed to get a picture up on the TV ! 

but picture still stuck on 720p, i go through to change menu>Manage>settings>audio& visual>video>display resoltuion

can change it off 720p hit confirm it will go black and stay that way. have to switch the box off and then switch back on and it will still be on 720p

basically cant get it off 720p which is plain bizarre !

wonder what is causing this ? 

oh goodness ! am i seeing some gremlins or is this thing flaky ! perhaps has had itself caught in some handshake issue or something.

I can now select and confirm resolutions and no issue. ! have put it on 1080p50 

what are you guys running. I could just leave it on 1080i50 I suppose as thats best it gets TV wise.

anyways TV like SBS HD and ghost protocol going on ch9HD is now looking LOT better than the 720p I was stuck on :D

not throwing a celebration yet ! I'll have to see how stable this thing is in use. i.e. switching on/off etc switching between inputs and such and make sure it doesnt relapse into its black screens and what not was seeing when tried to select anything over 720p prior...

well so far so good ! I hope stays this way, for some time this evening I was starting to think what the hell have I got myself into ! 

just watching ghost protocol on fta and with the footy show starting all looks pretty good I have to say. infact cleaner sharper than can remember from the Tivo 

infact the footy show which is studio shot and with onfield is looking VERY nice ! super clean sharp and detailed. great stuff ! and this is watching on the projector which makes pretty obvious PQ wise if lacking.

42 minutes ago, loki65 said:

If your receiver has optical input, could you run HDMI to the TV and optical to the receiver for the sound?

And if so would/could it differ in SQ rather than using HDMI.

you could. just miss out on OSD from the receiver. and miss out IF there was any audio beyond DD and basic sound. keeping in mind some netflix uses 7.1 DTS-HD if i remember. if your tv also has audio out ? can run optical off that to avr though in some cases they only do a 2.0 out so will miss out on surround.