HDobsession

New Epson TW 9400?

On 04/02/2020 at 7:26 PM, mauro145 said:

How do you deal with hdr with this projector? Do you find yourselves reaching the remote during movies to change settings very often? Or its usually not needed.

Thanks

I've got two user settings set up so far. HDR and SDR. With a simple switch between the two depending on what i'm watching. In saying that, once in HDR mode, my normal SDR reset it still looks pretty good. I can notice the difference, but my wife can't. 

Depends on the source as well. I watched Gemini Man in 4k HDR and it is amazing, watched 4k HDR A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood and was underwhelmed. It could have been standard BD SDR, and even then was average.  Though the story of A Beautiful Day was lovely. 

3 hours ago, zzkazu said:

Mine has only just arrived but I haven't found the need to swap settings in the 5 hours of use ...

Enjoy!

You swapping HDR/SDR  using memories? 

I have noticed when I'm using Lens memory it gets it 90% of the position correct. Needs some adjustment most times.

But coming from a 12 year old  TW2000 which was all manual its a god send.

Picture is fantastic and I'll wait until 100 hours to do a calibration...

Great projector..

37 minutes ago, Johnny_Boy said:

I've got two user settings set up so far. HDR and SDR. With a simple switch between the two depending on what i'm watching. In saying that, once in HDR mode, my normal SDR reset it still looks pretty good. I can notice the difference, but my wife can't. 

Depends on the source as well. I watched Gemini Man in 4k HDR and it is amazing, watched 4k HDR A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood and was underwhelmed. It could have been standard BD SDR, and even then was average.  Though the story of A Beautiful Day was lovely. 

Enjoy!

You can normally leave the setting on Auto and it will choose SDR or HDR as required.

Occasionally,  odd 4K  movie put on has interestingly stayed in SDR mode.

Played 4k copy of War for Planet of the apes last night , and auto chose SDR, swapping to HDR and colors looked oversaturated- so set back to SDR.

Under the HDR mode you can adjust the setting of course,  but couldn't seem to get it looking right with that particular movie.

Any thoughts @betty boop ?

29 minutes ago, evil c said:

You can normally leave the setting on Auto and it will choose SDR or HDR as required.

Played 4k copy of War for Planet of the apes last night , and auto chose SDR, swapping to HDR and colors looked oversaturated- so set back to SDR.

Under the HDR mode you can adjust the setting of course,  but couldn't seem to get it looking right with that particular movie.

Hi Evil C,
it will definitely auto switch over to HRD/SDR mode, but what wont switch is the colour profile mode you are in. The two i have are better suited to either SDR/HDR. 

Yet to have something not auto switch over correctly. Strange 

37 minutes ago, evil c said:

Could be a bug like planet earth this bug effects pans players only not oppo :)

6 minutes ago, Johnny_Boy said:

Hi Evil C,
it will definitely auto switch over to HRD/SDR mode, but what wont switch is the colour profile mode you are in. The two i have are better suited to either SDR/HDR. 

Yet to have something not auto switch over correctly. Strange 

I remember reading a review evilc pointed me to saying the HDR switching was caught out at times :) so possible can still miss.

Does t it pick up colour profile when. Switching fir HDR ? Should only need to select once and remembers ?

we used natural for sdr and cinema for hdr. Cinema has the filter fir wider colour :)

15 minutes ago, betty boop said:

I remember reading a review evilc pointed me to saying the HDR switching was caught out at times :) so possible can still miss.

Does t it pick up colour profile when. Switching fir HDR ? Should only need to select once and remembers ?

we used natural for sdr and cinema for hdr. Cinema has the filter fir wider colour :)

It switches to HDR, but doesn't select the correct colour profile. 

I cant remember the exact modes i use, but believe its Digital Cinema for HDR and Natural for SDR

36 minutes ago, Johnny_Boy said:

It switches to HDR, but doesn't select the correct colour profile. 

I cant remember the exact modes i use, but believe its Digital Cinema for HDR and Natural for SDR

were switching and selecting and checking and what not, so cant remember to be honest. thats a shame though if case, so not like the JVCs then ? as with those you select once and then automatically selects same colour mode.,

digital cinema step up from cinema for larger screens if remember, but yeah natural definitely the one for SDR. for HDR you could leave in natural just means it wont use the filter for WCG which is handy if want more output on HDR . :) also gives an option as lamp ages....