Epson TW 9400 Owners Discussion Thread

On 09/01/2021 at 3:43 PM, Pio_fan2 said:

It's a good size I reckon. I sit about 4m away and is great. I'm still running an old Epson TW3200 which is on its second lamp. I still get a great picture but thinking it's maybe time to upgrade...hence the lurking in this TW 9400 thread.Here's the Grandview 112 which i've installed to come down in front of my Sony 65 OLED. 

Wondering about the Grandview. 
Over time, would the sides of the screen curl/warp or would it still retain the tension?

I’ve seen some motorized screens with tension tabs online. But not sure how necessary that would be. 

3 hours ago, ShouwnO said:

1272809042_IMG_4701(2).thumb.jpg.0910eb58e6a389a0a0a64c14cf9d0b4e.jpg 

I recently upgraded to the TW9400 (from Optoma UHD51) and I absolutely love it!  Much better contrast and colour reproduction than the Optoma.  I have mine perched on a shelf at the back of my room ?

Can I ask what model Krix you have on the wall in the background? A decent Atmos option?

20 hours ago, SynGen said:

Wondering about the Grandview. 
Over time, would the sides of the screen curl/warp or would it still retain the tension?

I’ve seen some motorized screens with tension tabs online. But not sure how necessary that would be. 

Yeah. I thought the same. But....my Grandview screen hasn't warped at all in 9 years. I use it a couple of times a week. When i researched tab tensioned screens were much more expensive. Also, for my install i would have lost some screen size. As said, a happy Grandview customer. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Pio_fan2 said:

Yeah. I thought the same. But....my Grandview screen hasn't warped at all in 9 years. I use it a couple of times a week. When i researched tab tensioned screens were much more expensive. Also, for my install i would have lost some screen size. As said, a happy Grandview customer. 

Great. Always good to hear real world experience. I’ll probably go with the standard non tab tension ones then and save some cash. 

Thanks mate!

• Like 1

On 14/01/2021 at 6:40 PM, ShouwnO said:

I'm using the Krix Dynamix for all 8 of my surround speakers.  2 for side surrounds, 2 for back surrounds and 4 for Atmos height speakers (using custom Krix ceiling mount brackets)

Hi ShouwnO, how do you find the sound / performance of the Krix. Have you tried or listened to any others. I'm in the process of starting to think about finishing/upgrading my theatre room.

Hi Lazz,

I’ve enjoyed using many different speaker systems over the years including Jamo THX, Energy, Mirage and Klipsch Reference series.  However, my current Krix setup is by far the best sounding speaker system I have owned.  It performs superbly with movie soundtracks.  I often find myself getting fully immersed in a movie rather than nitpicking the sound, which ultimately is what I’ve always wanted.  ?

• Like 2

On 16/01/2021 at 4:19 PM, ShouwnO said:

Hi Lazz,

I’ve enjoyed using many different speaker systems over the years including Jamo THX, Energy, Mirage and Klipsch Reference series.  However, my current Krix setup is by far the best sounding speaker system I have owned.  It performs superbly with movie soundtracks.  I often find myself getting fully immersed in a movie rather than nitpicking the sound, which ultimately is what I’ve always wanted.  ?

What do you use as the LCR? Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Just wondering if 9400 owners find the interpolation at 1080p only an issue? I am considering upgrading to the 9400 and the only daw back I can see is this. I’ve also read that if you downscale the image to 1080p in the menu you can enable it and the picture still comes out at 4k quality - not sure if anyone has tried this. Thanks

15 hours ago, goinggrey said:

Just wondering if 9400 owners find the interpolation at 1080p only an issue? I am considering upgrading to the 9400 and the only daw back I can see is this. 

Do you mean motion adaptive interpolation or de-interlacing 1080i material to 1080p ? Ive not seen any complaints about the algorithm for extra frame insertion from owners if thats what you mean :)

if you downscale the image to 1080p in the menu you can enable it and the picture still comes out at 4k quality - not sure if anyone has tried this

.Are you describing the e-shift function? yes the 9400 upscales 1080p to pseudo 4k [its not a true 4k res like others] but has more apparent resolution than 1080p

2 hours ago, goinggrey said:

Hi. 

When it smooths out the image by inserting frames -> Using Frame Interpolation (epson.com), It basically increases the frames per second,  some people call it the "soap opera affect". 

Ah I see ; some Directors like James Cameron would like all films to be 60hz with the soe . Its something some say we are too used to slow 24hz frame rates and need to get used to it .. I only use it for sports and fast moving sources but each to their own ;its all good :)

• 1 month later...
On 19/01/2021 at 6:14 PM, ShouwnO said:

I'm using the Krix Megaphonix In Room speakers for front Left and Right and a Megaphonix centre.  Cheers.

Same here. I have the in wall versions and an acoustically transparent screen which drops down over them. I have 4 in ceiling Krix Atmospherix Atmos speakers and 2 x Krix Dynamix rear speakers on the wall behind.

Edited by homerlovesbeer
  • Like 1

Anyone using zoom to change aspect ratios, how repeatable do you find it. Mine never seems to get to quite the same position, if I check positioning with the screen pattern. From an image perspective, I don’t think it really matters as I’m not missing anything, just wondering what others experience might be.

blonk

On 26/03/2021 at 7:21 PM, homerlovesbeer said:

Projector and screen are now installed.

8W78YS.jpg

JUpSO5.jpg

pwPo3Q.jpg

Soon to try them out ?

Nice work ?.  What processor/amp are you using to drive the Krix?

Hmm ok guys.

I can't seem to get my Panasonic 820 to recognise my Epson projector as 4k compatible.

In the Panasonic HDMI menu settings I can select to output 4K and have a picture come up.

When the disc starts playing I get the message from the player "dynamic range conversion output" at the top of the screen which then disappears. 

Checking in the Epson menu I go to Signal - Advanced- and have Video Range selected to auto, EDID - Expanded, Image Processing - Fine.

If I select Signal - Dynamic Range - it's set to auto and displaying SDR.

Colour mode is cinema.

In the Denon menu I've selected HDMI PASSTHROUGH to ON. 

I am out of ideas.

Ta

26 minutes ago, homerlovesbeer said:

Hmm ok guys.

I can't seem to get my Panasonic 820 to recognise my Epson projector as 4k compatible.

In the Panasonic HDMI menu settings I can select to output 4K and have a picture come up.

When the disc starts playing I get the message from the player "dynamic range conversion output" at the top of the screen which then disappears. 

Checking in the Epson menu I go to Signal - Advanced- and have Video Range selected to auto, EDID - Expanded, Image Processing - Fine.

If I select Signal - Dynamic Range - it's set to auto and displaying SDR.

Colour mode is cinema.

In the Denon menu I've selected HDMI PASSTHROUGH to ON. 

I am out of ideas.

Ta

I had similar issues with my 9400 - especially with my Apple 4K STB.

Believe it was caused by mixing Fibre optic HDMI with normal cables, plus make sure to plug into HDMI 1 port of the 9400 and not 2.

Edited by evil c
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, homerlovesbeer said:

In the 820 advanced colour gamut output menu do you have hdr.bt2020 auto selected ; not sdr 2020 ? 

"dynamic range conversion output" implies the pana is putting out rec709 rather than the dci-p3 in a bt2020 container you want :)

Or it may be the cables as Evil says . 

• Like 1

On 24/03/2021 at 9:32 PM, blonk said:

Anyone using zoom to change aspect ratios, how repeatable do you find it. Mine never seems to get to quite the same position, if I check positioning with the screen pattern. From an image perspective, I don’t think it really matters as I’m not missing anything, just wondering what others experience might be.

blonk

Do a lens re centre and check again, it should be spot on. The only 2 brands that are spot on with getting the image back to where you saved it was jvc and epson.