Epson TW 9400 Owners Discussion Thread

2 hours ago, j19801110 said:

We are all very jealous.

Speak for yourself. I’m not jealous. Watching a big screen at home will never be worth tens of thousands of dollars to me. I’m more than happy with my under $2000 setup.

8 hours ago, j19801110 said:

Wow, quite a set up then. We are all very jealous. If I had a z1, I would def buy a Lumagen. :D 

You don not need a Z1 to achieve  the benefits of the  Lumagen..... any PJ will benefit from it... ?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just went to the epson website to check about a spec of my TW7100. I have ‘often visited’ website links that come up on safari on my iPad when I open a new page, and since I’ve checked the clearance center for projectors so often, that link was there, hence I used it.......

20 minutes later I now own a TW9400. Couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw it. $2700 baby wooooo.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

29 minutes ago, Esoterica said:

Just went to the epson website to check about a spec of my TW7100. I have ‘often visited’ website links that come up on safari on my iPad when I open a new page, and since I’ve checked the clearance center for projectors so often, that link was there, hence I used it.......

20 minutes later I now own a TW9400. Couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw it. $2700 baby wooooo.

What a find! I’d been checking that page every few days for a 9400 but gave up and bought an 8400 (arriving today). Lucky, lucky, lucky you haha.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, slowey16 said:

What a find! I’d been checking that page every few days for a 9400 but gave up and bought an 8400 (arriving today). Lucky, lucky, lucky you haha.

I know man. So lucky and wasn’t even looking. I was happy with my 7100 but at that ridiculous price I had to snap up the 9400. 

It just goes to show that they do come up, you just have to be super lucky on timing. It’s the only 9400 I’ve seen in at least 30 visits to the page, and my 7100 was the only other TW model I’ve seen. 

1 hour ago, Esoterica said:

congrats ! when know you want one ...! persistence pays off !

• Like 1

On 01/08/2020 at 8:15 AM, oztheatre said:

Strange how they only make this available in white.  You'd think black for cinemas as per the wired version of the 9400.

I reckon they'd look cool in a nice metallic blue like this colour

New-Arrived-1-52-X-18m-Matte-Chrome-Meta

Oh yeh that would look cool, Matt black and denim !

• 3 weeks later...

Can someone please explain (and sorry if it's been covered on sna before) what the point of 4k e-shift is?

I thought I understood until I got an Epson and discovered it's only applicable to non 4k sources, which seems pointless to me. Well not entirely, but I've compared it with upscaling on the source components, and it's not much between them.

I presumed it was to output 4k content in faux 4k, hence the question.

18 minutes ago, Esoterica said:

Can someone please explain (and sorry if it's been covered on sna before) what the point of 4k e-shift is?

taking display capability beyond 1080p(2k) when the projector capability is still natively 1080p. ie for 4k uhd sources.. and should deliver around 3k ...

19 minutes ago, Esoterica said:

I thought I understood until I got an Epson and discovered it's only applicable to non 4k sources, which seems pointless to me. Well not entirely, but I've compared it with upscaling on the source components, and it's not much between them.

should provide some benefit with say 2k and lower resolution ...however yes it might introduce some noise with the e-shift as well. whether upscaling at the source or at the projector either way will need the e-shift to display. if not much difference between upscaling in source or at the projector ... then probably not much in difference between them ? 

What it boils down to is my incorrect assumption that it's to display 4k content as 4k, whilst not being true 4k, when in fact it's just an upscaling technology.

I'm not really fussed as the image quality is great, with 4k and HD content. I'm just confused by the marketing of the feature.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, franin said:

I’ve haven’t done an update on this projector as of yet. Any tips ? I don’t want too brick it. 

The update was really easy. As long as you follow epsons  instructions, I can’t see you bricking it. Others have said that the update provided some benefits to PQ but I didn’t notice anything.

hey guys, I know the pj has a 12V trigger out but not a 12V trigger in....why???

can I put in a trigger out cable to my AVR and use the pj remote to turn the AVR on?

I know you can use it to trigger a roll down screen etc, just not sure on the pj-AVR combo...

cheers

J

4 minutes ago, jazzman1974 said:

hey guys, I know the pj has a 12V trigger out but not a 12V trigger in....why???

can I put in a trigger out cable to my AVR and use the pj remote to turn the AVR on?

I know you can use it to trigger a roll down screen etc, just not sure on the pj-AVR combo...

cheers

J

hi J the 12V trigger is all about say triggering a motorised screen. so when you switch on the projector the screen drop downs... or curtains open up or something ..

theres no 12V in... but how most folk do this is either just use pj remote to switch on. or use a universal remote... so when hit "watch movie" it fires up everything related ...including the PJ

Well, I have been so impressed with the brightness stability of the Epson that my JVC x35 in my studio / study is getting replaced by an Epson as well. 

Epson 9400 replaced my JVC x9500 and I haven’t regretted it. On the contrary. The more I own the unit, the more impressed I am.

Here we come Epson #2.

:D :D :D  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, betty boop said:

hi J the 12V trigger is all about say triggering a motorised screen. so when you switch on the projector the screen drop downs... or curtains open up or something ..

theres no 12V in... but how most folk do this is either just use pj remote to switch on. or use a universal remote... so when hit "watch movie" it fires up everything related ...including the PJ

thanks Betty....thought that would be the case

will get around to getting a universal remote...eventually :)

2 hours ago, jazzman1974 said:

thanks Betty....thought that would be the case

will get around to getting a universal remote...eventually :)

A harmony 650 is around $ 130 and is intuitive for macro;s like you need :)

On 16/09/2020 at 2:13 PM, j19801110 said:

Epson 9400 replaced my JVC x9500 and I haven’t regretted it. On the contrary. The more I own the unit, the more impressed I am.

I’m really happy with the 9400. The only thing I miss from the JVC is the motion handling but overall the 9400 has been better for my needs.

22 minutes ago, flamjam said:

I’m really happy with the 9400. The only thing I miss from the JVC is the motion handling but overall the 9400 has been better for my needs.

I think native motion handling is better on the Epson - it does not introduce judder that’s not in the source. LCOS can add more judder to my eyes. 

However, frame interpolation is MUCH better on the JVC, especially on low, it’s really good. Epson‘s FI has lots of artifacts and just crappy. It’s pretty shocking actually, especially on low.
I only use it on 3D movies on high which works fine. 

So I find native motion easier on the Epson, really cinematic. JVC with CMD on low is a step up though! 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, j19801110 said:

I think native motion handling is better on the Epson - it does not introduce judder that’s not in the source. LCOS can add more judder to my eyes. 

However, frame interpolation is MUCH better on the JVC, especially on low, it’s really good. Epson‘s FI has lots of artifacts and just crappy. It’s pretty shocking actually, especially on low.
I only use it on 3D movies on high which works fine. 

So I find native motion easier on the Epson, really cinematic. JVC with CMD on low is a step up though! 

I tend to agree, but hey the jvc is double the price or more depending on which model.

I prefer sonys motion handling tbh one of their strong points.

Getting the best of each tech into one single projector would be nice, but its a pipe dream.

8 hours ago, oztheatre said:

I tend to agree, but hey the jvc is double the price or more depending on which model.

I prefer sonys motion handling tbh one of their strong points.

Getting the best of each tech into one single projector would be nice, but its a pipe dream.

I complete agree! Sony’s motion is great!! 

However, their panel stability has been shocking. Sony said they introduced a new more stable panel in the top end product now. Let’s hope they are right. 

I gave up trying to calibrate my friend’s Sony after two years. The panels degraded to a point that it was near impossible. Different areas gave wildly different readings too. Ugh! JVC drops in contrast a bit as the panels degrade but at least it’s normally uniform and not full of colour uniformity issues unless of course it comes from the factory like that. We have not seen how these new 4K panels hold up though! 

But this is what I have been impressed with the Epson: almost no panel degradation at 1000hrs. The panels are very stable in my unit and so is the lamp. A JVC would be showing some contrast drop at this point and brightness drop to a point that a new lamp would be needed (to my eyes). It also needs a recalibration every 200-300hrs to look its best. 

I just feel like this Epson works without the hassle. Sure, it could have better dark scene contrast, better DI and better FI but it’s a very well-rounded unit overall with stellar image quality. I also don’t feel guilty leaving it on for 6+ hours for gaming sessions, movies and stepping away for half hour in between. I would never do that to a JVC. 

Very happy for the bang for buck! 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

I just got a TW9400, and I'm trying to set it up with windows (10), but whatever I do HDR is not working, or at least under "windows HD color settings" it says that there is no HDR capability. In the Epson menu the signal is showing as SDR. I'm using a matebook x pro laptop to connect it to, and I connect it to its thunderbolt 3 usb c port (not sure if that matters).
Where could the problem be? What am I missing?

Another question, when I set the resolution to max 4096 X 2160 4k the text becomes so small it's completely unbearable and blurry, but even at full hd the text is somewhat blurry, and whatever I do I can't get it sharp. I know this might sound as a noob question but how do you use it with windows to make it look good, what settings are you using? 

On 19/09/2020 at 9:07 AM, j19801110 said:

I just feel like this Epson works without the hassle. Sure, it could have better dark scene contrast, better DI and better FI but it’s a very well-rounded unit overall with stellar image quality. I also don’t feel guilty leaving it on for 6+ hours for gaming sessions, movies and stepping away for half hour in between. I would never do that to a JVC. 

You have to love the price of the Epson replacement  lamps compared to JVC.

On 29/09/2020 at 10:11 AM, pokeas said:

Hello

I just got a TW9400, and I'm trying to set it up with windows (10), but whatever I do HDR is not working, or at least under "windows HD color settings" it says that there is no HDR capability. In the Epson menu the signal is showing as SDR. I'm using a matebook x pro laptop to connect it to, and I connect it to its thunderbolt 3 usb c port (not sure if that matters).
Where could the problem be? What am I missing?

Another question, when I set the resolution to max 4096 X 2160 4k the text becomes so small it's completely unbearable and blurry, but even at full hd the text is somewhat blurry, and whatever I do I can't get it sharp. I know this might sound as a noob question but how do you use it with windows to make it look good, what settings are you using? 

If you are using Windows 10 you'll want to use 150 or 200% scaling to increase the text side and sharpness. I've found the epson is very selective about what inputs allow it to use HDR...it had trouble with my Xbox One X despite it having the functionality and my denon allowing HDR10. Yet it works fine with my panasonic 4k player. You may need one of the HD fury devices here to allow the HDR to pass through to the PC.

• 3 weeks later...

hey guys, I know the TW9400 is 3D capable, do many of you use it for that purpose?

want to know what glasses to get that will sync with the pj.

I know you can get Epson glasses, but have also seen cheaper ones on eBay etc that say they are compatible

interested on your thoughts