Sign in to follow this  
lennykp

Suitable amplifer for Magico A3 speakers

Hi All, I am considering buying a pair of Magico A3.

According to Absolute Hiend, there are many happy Magico A3 owners already. What amplifier are you matching it with.

The Emotiva XPR-2 DR amp reviewed in Hi-Fi News Oct-18 seems pretty great for the price/power.

Or does it really need to match with hi end amplifier.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Lenny

Go with what Boris suggests

I was lucky enough to listen to them a few months ago with one of my favourite integrated amps the Dartzeel CTH8550. 

I am am not a Magico fan but that combo I could’ve easily bought and listened too forever. Incredible synergy!

I've had an Emotive amp on my speakers at home once. It wasn't bad but nowhere near as good as my Devialet amp. I'm not saying you should buy Devialet but it does indicate there's quite a difference in sound quality between the two, hence the price difference. 

I haven't heard the latest Emotiva amps and they might be better now so you should at least give them a listen. You could either save a lot of money or end up wanting better down the track. Listening is the only way to find out.

Get the Krell FPB200 in the Classifieds and do it up.

Edited by Wimbo

I bought the show pair of Magico A3’s from Boris and I have a the Vitus RI 100 int running them lovely. A friend in the Uk has just purchased a pair and has the Hegel H360 running nicely to.

Posted (edited)

No Emotiva amp is going to do the Magicos justice, I'm afraid.

Edited by Ittaku

ATC make very well built and very listenable power amps (if that's what you're after). The P1 is 150w @8ohms and the P2, 300w @8ohms 450w@4ohms

If you want an integrated, there's the SIA2-150 that is similarly powered to the P1 and I've seen a quote claiming 289w at 4ohm for the integrated so the P1 would be similar. ATC bias their amps heavily into Class A then on to A/B.

I'm a valve amp devotee who has owned an ATC SPA2-150 power amp and listened extensively to the P1, they're very, very good amps.

I'd love for all the naysayers to partake in a listening experience where a number of amplifiers are included in the line-up, Emotiva as well, in suitably controlled conditions and then report back their observations. 

This is a good example of price influencing people's perspectives. 

Spend ten thousand on speaker cables and you'll have ten thousand reasons to think they do something to the sound. 

7 minutes ago, ghost4man said:

I'd love for all the naysayers to partake in a listening experience where a number of amplifiers are included in the line-up, Emotiva as well, in suitably controlled conditions and then report back their observations. 

This is a good example of price influencing people's perspectives. 

Have done.

I was more excited about Emotiva coming on board than I was McIntosh and Devialet. 

Wasn't a single piece that I liked or even thought was competitive at it's price point (not such a good price point in Aus).

I stand by my comment in that Emotiva in this instance would be like putting bicycle tyres on a Ferrari.

sports-bicycle-500x500.jpg.05ad502365092a555f8ac1510b4fa6b0.jpg

11 minutes ago, bmc said:

sports-bicycle-500x500.jpg.05ad502365092a555f8ac1510b4fa6b0.jpg

Haha brilliant. I nearly covered myself in wine seeing this.

Scrimping on Amplifier is a big mistake. The Emotiva's at least that I've heard won't do justice to Speakers of that calibre.

Another very important question is what Source/Sources do you have, or intend purchasing?

23 minutes ago, initforthemusic said:

Scrimping on Amplifier is a big mistake. The Emotiva's at least that I've heard won't do justice to Speakers of that calibre.

So you are saying you have heard this combination together?

@Bunno77

Just to clarify, are you saying you have heard the different setups, that is an Emotiva coupled with the Magico's, along with the Mcintosh 

etc without knowing which was which?