Sign in to follow this  
Gieseler Audio

CHORD HUGO TT2 DAC/PREAMP + KRAFTWERK PSU combo

33 minutes ago, Sime V2 said:

@matth I wouldn’t buy the M-scaler for a DAC that couldn’t go to 768khz. 

For me a big drawback of the M-Scaler is that it works in the Chord ecoystem only.

Ask Miska on CA forum, the developer of HQPlayer, what he thinks about taps.

Now we have one million taps, in two years maybe 2 million , in four years 4 million and so on. The obsolete gear appears then on the second hand market. Taps is a great buzzword for marketing. 

Good luck for all who want to go this path.

Matt

Edited by matth

Taps = size of the filter. e.g reconstruction (interpolation) filter. 

The ideal wide bandwidth filter is infinite in size(#coefiecients) but of course that can’t happen so a filter is truncated (finite). Lower frequencies require longer filters. 

Rob Watts says his very large filters make an audible difference to the sound of Chord DACs. 

Not everyone agrees with RW. But the Chord DACs do sound very good. 

Other designers such as Ted Smith believe that once the filter is large enough ensuring the precision of the processing is very high and that the precision is carried throughout the operations is more important.

RW prefers PCM , TS prefers DSD. 

Both use FPGA which allows for designers if they want to use their own implementation of filtering rather than rely on a chip manufacturer’s filters. 

Here is another link. 

https://dsp.stackexchange.com/questions/8685/filter-order-vs-number-of-taps-vs-number-of-coefficients

Hi everyone - OK just trying to get this back on track regarding if there is any benefit to using a good linear PSU with the Chord Hugo TT2.

(we can start a Hugo TT2 review/impression as a new thread)

First up I did a couple of quick measurements on the Chord supplied 15v 4A PSU.

Very impressive!  This is definitely the best SMPS I have measured regarding noise/ripple.

Left scope grab is the Chord PSU with a 1A restive load - just a whisker of ripple - note scope on 5mv vertical scale.

Right shot is the Kraftwerk 12v 4A PSU with the same scope setting & load - basically the noise floor of the scope.

Next I use a AC milivolt meter to look at the AC content/noise.

First photo is the Chord   3mV  now that is really low for a SMPS.

Next shot is the Kraftwerk  -  just a smidgen over .1 mV - not super low but 30x lower than the SMPS unit.

Next test was a subjective non blind listening test.

For me anyway there is no doubt at all the the sound considerable improves using the linear supply.

Presence comes up as well as a heightening of the sound stage & bass lower & more extended.

What I want to do next is get some other people to do the comparison & do some blind testing.

I was actually using the 12v 4A Kraftwerk  which is fine for the Chord in DAC mode but in amp mode driving headphones or speakers you would definitely need 15v.

Interesting stuff!

TEK00000.PNG.a6f7fb563dae60d189fdb0578adec859.PNGTEK00001.PNG.e57a7075cd77d0135f7e45195eb7ef5b.PNGIMG_3176.thumb.JPG.f1a5444b60e375adefb1716480e8497c.JPGIMG_3172.thumb.JPG.b539497ff79d8114d5853583e762dd97.JPG

I forgot to mention the Chord sounds totally amazing even on the standard PSU

Edited by Gieseler Audio

On 13/12/2018 at 4:36 AM, matth said:

That means you have not listened to it yet?

Not yet.

Its Christmas time and people like Clay etc who normally help me are really busy.   It needs a special speaker cable with an XLR on the end.   Just speaking to Raw99 and he has some time to do it.  I am dying to hear it as well but a bit of patience is required here.

Thanks

Bill

On 13/12/2018 at 5:51 AM, matth said:

Ask Miska on CA forum, the developer of HQPlayer, what he thinks about taps.

Miska and Rob have a long standing disagreement that boils down basically to what a Tap is.  But yes - really you need a Chord DAC that has the two BNC inputs for 768k to make it really shine.

Technology is advancing at a break neck pace  - the M-Scaler needs the current best chip out there - it has 78 cpu's and Rob was just able to get out of it 1 million taps.   As soon as technology allows he will experiment with even more taps.

I someone wants to know what a tap is say so and I will give a detailed explanation - but now - have to go to lunch.

Thanks

Bill

Edited by bhobba

On 13/12/2018 at 8:39 AM, Gieseler Audio said:

First up I did a couple of quick measurements on the Chord supplied 15v 4A PSU.

Very impressive!  This is definitely the best SMPS I have measured regarding noise/ripple.

Left scope grab is the Chord PSU with a 1A restive load - just a whisker of ripple - note scope on 5mv vertical scale.

Right shot is the Kraftwerk 12v 4A PSU with the same scope setting & load - basically the noise floor of the scope.

Next I use a AC milivolt meter to look at the AC content/noise.

First photo is the Chord   3mV  now that is really low for a SMPS.

Next shot is the Kraftwerk  -  just a smidgen over .1 mV - not super low but 30x lower than the SMPS unit.

Amazing Clay, simply amazing.  Rob is very keen on his PS saying its battery ruler flat - its pretty good - but yours is better.   I am really looking forward to the PSU you are building me.

😋😋😋😋😋

Thanks

Bill

Edited by bhobba

Well bhobba’s  replacement Hugo TT2 has finally arrived.

The first one had a few issues so I only had a short time with it.

The replacement is spot on and I must say as a DAC I am very impressed.

I did some careful comparisons using the supplied SMPS power supply and a standard Kraftwerk 15 V 2 amp unit.

Once again the difference was subtle but there was a clear and definite improvement for me anyway.

Just a little bit better separation and layering of instruments & a slightly improved soundstage.

I’m in the process of building bhobba a full Kraftwerk gold tune Enhanced 15v 4A version  that should be interesting.

Will get it over to Mike Lenehan’s on a good reference system and we can all do some comparisons again.

Stay tuned!

Posted (edited)

Hi All

Well Clay got over to Mikes - his power supply performed brilliantly.

I haven't head it personally, but here is not the place to discuss the actual DAC - I will do a separate thread i the DAC section and on Rob Watt's forum for that.    But if anyone wants to hear it and what Clay's power supply does its down at Mikes so you can drop in and hear it and the difference Clay's supply makes.

BTW this is to in no way poo-poo the switching supply that comes with the DAC - it the best switching supply Clay has measured, but Clay's supply makes a clear improvement from those that have heard it.

Thanks 

Bill

Edited by bhobba