Quiet fridge/freezers?

My listening room is open plan with the kitchen in close proximity, with a noisy fridge I’m hoping to replace with something quiet. Does anyone have any recommendations regarding brand/model/type?

It could be just a fridge with the freezer section relegated to garage.

I believe gas powered fridges are the quietest but unfortunately we don’t have mains gas.

Thanks for any advice.

Bevan

I could be wrong, but the LG inverters are quite,  until you place it with items like metal cans or glass bottles that make them vibrate when the compressor turns on.  I was stunned how silent it was when we 1st got ours and wondered whether it was actually on!   Couldn’t hear it until we place bottles and cans on the shelf.  Had to keep checking and made sure it was getting cold.  It’s now over a year old and yes you start to hear it.

Edited by Addicted to music

Have a look at Choice - they run comparisons on manufacturers/ models and they comment on quietness. 

Might also depend on the flooring the unit stands on. Our (old) F&P fridge compressor is noisy but I can’t get my wife to buy a new one. 

If you want to spend some coin, get a Dometic 3 way fridge that runs on 240, 12v and gas, but they ain’t cheap, but don’t make a sound. Just have to make sure I has adequate ventilation. 

Guest Peter the Greek

Mitsubishi make one that is pretty darn quite (massively insulated). We ended up with a Samsung and its good too.

I think any new, half decent fridge is pretty quiet these days. I'd be looking at the back and bottom to see how well the compressor is hidden.

15 minutes ago, Peter the Greek said:

Mitsubishi make one that is pretty darn quite (massively insulated). We ended up with a Samsung and its good too.

I think any new, half decent fridge is pretty quiet these days. I'd be looking at the back and bottom to see how well the compressor is hidden.

It’s not how well the compressors are hidden.  The new efficient DC inverters have lest moving parts compared to the old AC driven types, the moved to the DC inverter technology are just so much more quieter and also more efficient too, as they have far less moving parts.   You’ll notice the energy star rating is higher too.  

I have to disagree. I bought an LG inverter frig, and it's quite noisy. At the moment it's a grumble and whirr from fan noise; sometimes it sounds like a truck on a distant highway.

Very disappointed. It's outside at the moment (under verandah - shouldn't need to work hard), but will not be coming anywhere near my sound stuff, if I can help it.

1 hour ago, BioBrian said:

I have to disagree. I bought an LG inverter frig, and it's quite noisy. At the moment it's a grumble and whirr from fan noise; sometimes it sounds like a truck on a distant highway.

Very disappointed. It's outside at the moment (under verandah - shouldn't need to work hard), but will not be coming anywhere near my sound stuff, if I can help it.

its probably working pretty hard outdoors ? exposed to the elements ? ... no 1 thing they suggest in home energy reviews is bring your fridge indoors.

We have fridge just outside the room we have system in. previous fridge could hearing it cycling. not a peep out the LG. ours is not a big monster fridge though. just single door probably one step up from smaller fridges around :) ie 1st step in family fridges. we didnt want a big huge one as larger the fridge more power they guzzle.

On 09/12/2018 at 8:08 PM, b.d said:

My listening room is open plan with the kitchen in close proximity, with a noisy fridge I’m hoping to replace with something quiet. Does anyone have any recommendations regarding brand/model/type?

It could be just a fridge with the freezer section relegated to garage.

I believe gas powered fridges are the quietest but unfortunately we don’t have mains gas.

Thanks for any advice.

Bevan

Quietest would be an absorption chiller, like used in a caravan. It uses heater element (240V or 12 V) or gas burner (3 way) to heat ammonia. No compressor used, they are used in caravan due to no noise when trying to sleep. Wouldn't be the most efficient but would be the quietest option.

Edited by lusk

24 minutes ago, betty boop said:

its probably working pretty hard outdoors ? exposed to the elements ? ... no 1 thing they suggest in home energy reviews is bring your fridge indoors.

We have fridge just outside the room we have system in. previous fridge could hearing it cycling. not a peep out the LG.

Ha Ha, O ye of the 'land of contentment'! 'they' obviously don't collect data from my place, south of Mt Wellington in southern Tas.

My winter days often don't get above 8 degrees max, and the fridge is set for 5 in the beer, wine, (oh yes, and food) part. I also run 2 chest freezers, so I don't use the freezer part down below - it stays on the max setting, and the door never gets opened to let cold air fall out.

So having the fridge outdoors is a very cost-saving thing. Inside is mostly 10-15 deg or so warmer than out, at least overnight in winter. In summer, any breeze means it's still often cooler outside. But that's just background, OT, as they say.

My only excuse for joining this conversation is annoyance with the noise of this LG fancy-pants inverter thing. The rep told me (so it must be true) that inverter frigs don't have the on/off big switchy noise/big temp swings of the old thermostat jobs, but run at low  #*%*^&^%%  (apply own word if understood) all the time, therefore better. Hogwash to me - it makes more noise than my old one. Especially when it sets up a resonance with the nearby wall - so I have to wrestle it a few mm, to break the beat frequency.

Is it a lemon? I don't know. I do think we've been desensitized to so many noise pollutants that our outrage is unhealthily suppressed. (Think of that outrageous fizz thing that truck/bus brakes do, right next to you in the street).

9 minutes ago, BioBrian said:

Ha Ha, O ye of the 'land of contentment'! 'they' obviously don't collect data from my place, south of Mt Wellington in southern Tas.

My winter days often don't get above 8 degrees max, and the fridge is set for 5 in the beer, wine, (oh yes, and food) part. I also run 2 chest freezers, so I don't use the freezer part down below - it stays on the max setting, and the door never gets opened to let cold air fall out.

sure in winter, though we do have 3 other seasons in the year and it does get well above 8 deg even at mt wellington.

https://www.yr.no/place/Australia/Tasmania/Mount_Wellington/statistics.html

ps I do visit tassie quite often through out the year. tassie gets plenty of warm spells :D 

16 minutes ago, BioBrian said:

Is it a lemon? I don't know.

quite possibly, maybe worth following up on ? its also possible there is some sympathy resonance happening. dont know the specifics of your setup. maybe worth exploring as well. 

6 minutes ago, betty boop said:

sure in winter, though we do have 3 other seasons in the year

If you live here, you'd be saying 3 other seasons every day. (Today it was filthy hot, like the last few days, but I had to bring the washing in twice, due to rain. Very trying!) Jokes aside, I have been writing down max and min temps, inside and outside, for about 20 years, so I'm pretty confident in the sense of keeping the fridge outside. If you read carefully, I think I covered the warm day thing as well.

One little bummer is that the extreme winds can blow the fridge door open - can you believe that? So besides the house shuddering and promising to dump me in the garden, there's this plaintive little beep-beep-beep thing happening in the quiet moments, which eventually looms in the deeply-asleep mind that the frig door's been open more than 1 minute (but it doesn't tell you of the damage to the hinges, and the contents of the door strewn all over). (Gaffer tape helps).

1 minute ago, BioBrian said:

If you live here, you'd be saying 3 other seasons every day. (Today it was filthy hot, like the last few days, but I had to bring the washing in twice, due to rain. Very trying!) Jokes aside, I have been writing down max and min temps, inside and outside, for about 20 years, so I'm pretty confident in the sense of keeping the fridge outside. If you read carefully, I think I covered the warm day thing as well.

hehe Iv'e seen it trust me. dont even need to go upto mt wellington. in full view of the mount blue sky sun shining, I've ducked into a coffee shop. grabbed a coffee, come out with it and its bucketing ! gone into a meeting and its blue sky sun shining again :D seems to be the thing with tassie north to south. the wild west seems a little different where it just rains most of the time hehe. what ever works best for you with the fridge BB.

4 minutes ago, BioBrian said:

One little bummer is that the extreme winds can blow the fridge door open

I'll say no more :D 

Here is one link to quiet refrigerators but they don’t mention noise levels. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/shop/quiet-refrigerator

https://www.buzzrake.com/cat/kitchen-appliances/product/refrigerators/quiet

https://lifestyle.euronics.co.uk/buyers-guide/fridge-freezers/noise-levels/

If you are annoyed by your own noisy refrigerator it’s a good indication too loud and around 30dB bedroom is good when sleeping and 40dB living room is good to aim for. I have seen measurements of peoples houses with noise levels as high as 57dB(A) from fridges and other indoor items.

Probably best to look at half dozen models in your price range and scrutinise the specs and look for stated sound levels. Positioning of the fridge can help reduce noise like increasing distance and shield behind a wall etc.

Edited by Al.M