Sign in to follow this  
JulianR

Dynaudio Contour S1.4 LE - amp advice

Hi guys / gals

I am acquiring the above speakers and my research thus far causes me to feel pretty confident that neither of my integrated family entertainment focused amps (Yamaha RX V773 and Onkyo TX NR737) will be up to snuff. It will live in an apartment living space approx 4 m x 8 m (or less likely a 4 x 3 - but my Elacs 243.3 seem pretty happy for bedroom duties, and are driven comfortably by the same Yamaha - to my ears anyway). Any suggestions for suitable amp budgeted at $1500 second hand (max.)? 

Edited by JulianR

I'd suggest just using what you have and saving a bit more so that you realise the potential of the speakers. Probably double for a used price is more fitting

This Rega is probably the closest to your budget that should do them justice 

These would be other options.

Mmm, partner will not be thrilled.. still thank you indeed for the feedback. 

Partners usually spend quite a lot themselves without consulting anyone. 

5 hours ago, JulianR said:

Mmm, partner will not be thrilled.. still thank you indeed for the feedback. 

The Contour loves a bit of muscle as well as finesse to sound great. Out of the three above I would pick the Octave but wouldn't play loud with it. But it is certainly a beautiful lush sounding amp when paired with your Contours. 

3 minutes ago, Bunno77 said:

Fortunately for me and not for her, I happen to be the one who carries the hot wallet... but that is my cross! 

4 minutes ago, Bunno77 said:

General feedback... ended up getting two amps in succession. The Merantz PM8006 and the Vincent SV 238 MK

https://6moons.com/audioreviews/vincent/vincent_2.html

As posters here would expect, the Merantz couldn’t quite make them happy. In an A/B test with my Elac 244.3s, the latter, at half the sale price completely trumped the Contours - which at the time was a bit demoralising.

The Chinese German Vincent has now produced the sound hiding in the Contours the entire time. Just delicious and a bit astonishing to me... (you can read about specs but until you HEAR it!)

Pity the Vincent resembles an aluminium Mac truck in our living room, but I’ll take that sound.

Phew - this has been an expensive procedure...

I used to own these speakers and tried them on:

Naim Nait XS2

Cyrus Pre2 + Stereo 200

Musical Fidelity A3.2 CR

Lavardin IS

I thought the Musical Fidelity was the best match, and the Lavardin IS second.

That is interesting. By sheer coincidence, I nearly bought an A3 (I guess version 1, not A3.2) from Gumtree - presently on sale for $1000. I was gun shy that it would not be more powerful than the Merantz - but I guess this was baseless. What speakers did you change the Contours for? Did you become dissatisfied with the Contours? (... This author asks very fearfully!)

@JulianR the Contour 3.4Le is rated 86db. Actual measurement rated them at 85.5db. Which means they are not very efficient or loud. To get the best out of them you need an amp with power and current. Preferably a solid state with bipolar (BJT) design. I know...currently listening to them in my living room. 😁

1 hour ago, JulianR said:

That is interesting. By sheer coincidence, I nearly bought an A3 (I guess version 1, not A3.2) from Gumtree - presently on sale for $1000. I was gun shy that it would not be more powerful than the Merantz - but I guess this was baseless. What speakers did you change the Contours for? Did you become dissatisfied with the Contours? (... This author asks very fearfully!)

I meant the A3.2 CR pre and power amplifier, not the A3.2 integrated. It's rated at 225W in 4 ohm.

It sounds more powerful than the Marantz PM14 to me, but haven't actually heard the PM8006.

I like to switch between different combinations, so ran multiple sets and didn't actually replace the 1.4 LE. I ran out of space though and felt the others were better suited to my room.

The bass was hard to get right in the space I had available and my other speakers were easier to position.

I currently use:

ATC SCM 19

Vienna Acoustics Beethoven baby grand SE

Spendor SP2/3R2.

I also have some PMC Twenty.23s that I plan to sell at some point.