Sell and upgrade or just upgrade my amp?

Hi gang,

i have what I think is a half decent sound system?

its a wharfdale diamond 10. With 10.7 front towers, 10.CM centre, 10.GX-SUB, 10.DFS rears.

I think I paid about $2900 a few years back (7?) And I have hardly used the bloody thing, I know resale value would be low.

My question is, do I cut my losses and sell with crappy pioneer amp? Then upgrade to a new speaker and amp set that is more compatible in this smart age?

or

is there a smart amp that might be able to revive the old speaker set into the current age?

looking for something as easy to use as a Bose surround with wifi & Bluetooth functionality.

thanks for your help.

shaun

2BA721B7-E539-43AC-88D0-DF0DEA0A2F45.jpeg

FE9F8290-C8DF-467B-A399-9051957FFBD7.jpeg

image.jpg

Hi Shaun. I personally don't think there's anything wrong with Wharfedale 10's. Especially for home theatre. What are your plans? Do you want to mainly listen to music or stick with home theatre? What would be the breakdown? eg. music 30% Movies 70%. That's the first big question ;)

Edited by blakey72
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Offbeat3 said:

Hi Blakey,

thanks for the quick response. It would be setup in the position of a home theatre (attached to a tv) the daily driver tv too. I’d say 70 cinema, 30 music?

Ok. I'd be upgrading the home theatre receiver for sure. Speakers last and last unless they are damaged. Receivers are basically throw out in 3-5 years these days (or sell/keep as spare :) ) if you want to keep up with the technology. I think a decent upgrade in receiver quality and power may breath new life into your Wharfedale speakers. 

Oh, another lot of questions. Why are you wanting to upgrade? Do you like the sound of your speakers? Are you just looking to modernize? Was there a budget you were considering for a new receiver?

Thanks guys,

i dont kneo what the go is, I’ve been refreshing the browser every few minutes but only just saw the replies now? 

Anyway, 

i haven’t used them much as they are in the media room and between a 4 year old and work, I haven’t had much time for dedicated movie time. However they do get used a little for quality sound in the home, but have to admit that most of my

general yard and living room music is through the Bose or Sonos smart speaker.

i love the sound of the wharfdale speakers but the amp is rubbish. Just really not sure/aware if I can make the speakers what I want e.g. easy to use and compatible with everything current these days as far as connectivity goes.

i am moving soon too. Atm I have a 4x2 with media room (where the wharfdale lives) but mostly watch in the living room smart tv, sound bar & sub. In the new house there is only 1 lounge room and an outside living area so for the lounge room am planning a tv upgrade and either wharfdale speakers & new (smart amp) or complete new setup? Keen to hear any suggestions on easy to use smart compatible amps?

I’d upgrade the avr. Most have streaming capability if its your mode of listening :)

id look at positioning of mains, is it possible to pull mains out that corner it’s jammed in now. 

Move ahead of sub and in line with where it is now will get mains away from walls at back and to sides

once get new avr make sure you recalibrate everything in the new setting :)

best way way to often drive interest is media ... god interesting stuff want to watch / listen to ... will get you back in :)

New AVRS will have all the connectivity options you are after. Yamaha generally stays pretty up to date with everything and may be a good starting point (Im sure many others do also, I am just more familiar with Yamaha). Not sure what your budget is, but if you are spending around $2k on an amp, this should be pretty decent and will see you through to new speakers in a few years time if you decide to go that route at some stage.

• Like 1

On 14/12/2018 at 10:22 AM, Andre28 said:

New AVRS will have all the connectivity options you are after. Yamaha generally stays pretty up to date with everything and may be a good starting point (Im sure many others do also, I am just more familiar with Yamaha). Not sure what your budget is, but if you are spending around $2k on an amp, this should be pretty decent and will see you through to new speakers in a few years time if you decide to go that route at some stage.

@Offbeat3As Andre said. Keep the Speakers and spend around 2K on a new Yammie. Seeing your history, you cant go wrong.