Guzzista

Beware of Snake Oil & Blind Belief!

2 hours ago, bzr said:

Personally, I think you need to explain things a bit more clearly. The number of articles/components that were introduced into the system at the same time, perhaps your level of experience. What you can compare it too to validate your claims, just general shitz that can go a long way to explaining your position & clarifying. I gave up my crystal ball carrying card days long ago when they said 33's were the new badass in 45's speed

Your comment on my character does not deserve a reply.

Edited by Guzzista
grammer

18 minutes ago, MLXXX said:

Guzzista, a number of us are interested in more detail about the "out-of-phase" message. The LED screen of which device gave the message?  Do you have the make and model number of it?

_________

Based on the photograph, the circuitry looks pretty basic, with no obvious swapping of active and neutral:-

I am trying to get that information, and will update as soon as I have it as it is not mine.

22 minutes ago, MLXXX said:

Guzzista, a number of us are interested in more detail about the "out-of-phase" message. The LED screen of which device gave the message?  Do you have the make and model number of it?

_________

Based on the photograph, the circuitry looks pretty basic, with no obvious swapping of active and neutral:-

CDP is made by Audionet model G2 - message scrolling on screen was "attention mains power polarity inverted".

48 minutes ago, Guzzista said:

CDP is made by Audionet model G2 - message scrolling on screen was "attention mains power polarity inverted".

Pretty damn smart CDP, G - I'm impressed!  :thumb:

Maybe @MLXXX might like to comment, given his post @ 11:06pm, last Sunday.

Andy

5 hours ago, Guzzista said:

Thanks. An audionet manual I've found on the net says:

6.1.1 Mains phase detection
The correct polarization of mains is important for reasons of audio clarity
and stability. Please connect the mains cord that the hot pin of the wall
outlet is connected to the pin of mains input 13 marked 'PHASE' 14 on
the back panel of the unit. The ART G2 recognizes the incorrect polarization
of the mains plug automatically. Right after switching on the unit
from stand-by mode by pressing the power key on the front panel the
following message will appear in the display in case the mains polarization
is incorrect:
► Attention: ◄
► Mains phase incorrect ◄
If you read the above message, switch off the unit by pressing the power
key. Please wait until the display no longer reads Going to sleep...
Now pull the mains plug and re-insert it into the mains socket rotated by
180°.
When you switch on the unit again, the warning should not appear now.
Important
· If the ART G2 issues the mains polarization warning or no warning at
all for both positions of the mains plug, check the connection to earth
of your mains socket and mains cord. You have to ensure a stable
connection to earth for the ART G2 to work correctly!

Although the above might not be the manual for the exact Audionet model it seems reasonable to accept that its content about connection of the mains would apply, at least broadly speaking. We seem to have confirmed that the issue is in fact which way around the active and neutral are connected. And referring to the words above from the manual, it seems that in at least some countries the power plug for the ART G2 can be rotated. So in such a case you'd have a 50% chance of getting the error message if you just plugged in blindly!

That is not the situation in the United States provided there is an earth pin on the plug for the power socket. And it is not the case in Australia irrespective of whether the power socket plug has an earth pin. (The active and neutral pins have equal and opposite slants away from the vertical.)

In Australia, portable radio cassette players when these were common would often get their mains power from black figure 8 cable terminated in a plastic plug. With some models the plug could be fitted in in only one physical orientation; but with other models you could plug in either way. These portable radio-cassettes with optional mains power were double-insulated appliances  without any earth connection. 

On 09/12/2018 at 6:31 PM, MLXXX said:

I could see no apparent swapping of neutral and active but there could -- theoretically -- be a miswiring in the plug. 

If we assume that the CD DVD player power cord was correctly connected to the CD DVD player, and given that there is no apparent swapping of neutral and active inside the power box you bought years ago, based on the photograph of it, then it seems likely that the power connection to the power box, or the power connection from the power box involves a swapping of the blue and brown wires,

That would be very poor practice. However it would be unlikely to pose an electrical hazard for equipment designed in Australia, as under Australian regulations the intended neutral side of appliance wiring is treated as "live" and requires the same amount of insulation for a human user as the intended active side of appliance wiring.  

Sound quality

This is a vexed question, with many people on this forum insisting that some form of power filtering is essential for good sound quality; and others saying it makes no difference for their ears!

I  assume that the Audionet G2 CD/DVD player we are discussing uses a power transformer and is approved for use  in Australia. (In some parts of the world it has been the practice to rectify the mains supply directly without use of a transformer.*)

I find rather odd these words (from 6.1.1 quoted above):

"The correct polarization of mains is important for reasons of audio clarity and stability.".

What "stability" issue would be involved?  Can anyone offer a technical insight into that?

* Here's an article on dangers of a transformerless power supply: https://hackaday.com/2017/04/04/the-shocking-truth-about-transformerless-power-supplies/

Edited by MLXXX

On 08/12/2018 at 3:14 PM, Monkeyboi said:

That's why you can no longer buy those old triangular shaped double adapters from the 70s.  One side had the active and neutral reversed due to the way they were manufactured back then.

Cheers,

Alan R.

Well, that's not the case with the 'Ring Grip' one I have, Alan.  I took it to pieces last night and saw that the brass assemblies that plug into the "/ \" slots in the wall socket are each connected to the same side of the "/ \" slots on the 45 deg sides.

So both maintain correct active & neutral.

Andy

It just goes to show. I have "finally" got my two monobloks plugged into my stand alone 40amp circuit. 2 GPO inputs only. The difference is amazing, even with my cheap Grays Online Lenova Laptop ($150) and a Topping D10 ($100). Go good mains always:thumb:

3 hours ago, Wimbo said:

It just goes to show. I have "finally" got my two monobloks plugged into my stand alone 40amp circuit. 2 GPO inputs only. The difference is amazing, even with my cheap Grays Online Lenova Laptop ($150) and a Topping D10 ($100). Go good mains always:thumb:

Great to hear, W - and I'm not surprised.  :thumb:  (But be aware there are people here who'll say that bcoz you didn't DBT the difference ... you're imagining it!  :) )

When you say "40a circuit", I'm assuming:

• 40a MCB, and
  • 40a wiring?

I'm envious - although I specified 13 separate circuits for hifi, for my new house (one for each component), bcoz of the number of circuits, I could only have 20a MCBs.  But I used 32a wiring in the walls.

Andy

On 13/12/2018 at 8:46 PM, Guzzista said:

Your comment on my character does not deserve a reply.

And where would that be Oh butt hurt one...

1 hour ago, andyr said:

Great to hear, W - and I'm not surprised.  :thumb:  (But be aware there are people here who'll say that bcoz you didn't DBT the difference ... you're imagining it!  :) )

When you say "40a circuit", I'm assuming:

• 40a MCB, and
  • 40a wiring?

I'm envious - although I specified 13 separate circuits for hifi, for my new house (one for each component), bcoz of the number of circuits, I could only have 20a MCBs.  But I used 32a wiring in the walls.

Andy

Yeah, I used to be an electrician decades ago, ( another Failure) but my bro is one too and he did it for me.☺️