rodders3

Drunk on the Linn kool aid - a dilemma!

I always really liked the look of Linn Lp12's but never heard one. That changed Tuesday when i jumped on board and snapped up one for sale in classifieds here.

The plinth is amazing condition. It is about a 1976 model from what I can gather and is mostly original with an updated Valhalla power board and springs done at some time. 

The bearing is the original white one. 

Its weak point is the tonearm, especially the tonearm cable. It is an origin live alliance - it's basic model. Seems okay but much harder to lift stylus from record without a scratchy sound now and again. The cable looks as cheap as can possibly be - identical to those ones at officeworks for a $2. The cart is a pretty good Benz Micro Ace SL.

Funny thing is it sounds pretty amazing in my system. Problem is, I know it can sound much better.

My dilemma is what to do. I have read the posts on here as to upgrades and I spoke to Andrew Coles about where i'd like it to get to. 

With all linn and no cart, about $8k.

I rang around and seems I could get a brand new Akurate (why do they sound like ikea names?) for just over $11k. That also includes everything i would upgrade plus a Krystal cart., warranty and new plinth obviously. Would also be set up at home for me.

I know there are many choices out there but i think I love these things - plus my missus sees one old looking wooded tt and doesn't notice (how I went from a P3 to a P6). Anything like an Avid and i will be injured!

The "new" old LP12 is pretty sexy and don't think I'd be troubled moving along if I should sell.

Love some opinions.

20181207_185112_resized.thumb.jpg.56e082796a374ba63e2a176f41505639.jpg

I have a similar vintage LP12, which I love. It too has a Valhalla Psu and a late pre-Cirkus bearing. I have a Jelco 750D arm and a couple of MC carts that I use. Overall, the sound is super satisfying, and whenever I start an album, there is an excitement that is lacking when using my streamer, even with high res recordings. 

I too and fro between a desire to upgrade the usual bits- Cirkus bearing, new sub chassis, and a lingo PSU, etc. I am less keen on a Linn arm, as the Ekos is stupid money, and I am not sure the akito is any better than what I have. I am sure I will eventually do some or all the above, because, hey, audiophilia, but i am not sure whether I will enjoy the music and sound any more than I already do. The anxiety/excitement about what to do next is half the fun- I am not sure it would be as good if I just did it all at once!

Enjoy your LP12- there may well be better TTs out there, but none are as memorable.

Edited by Juzbear

Well the tonearm is a no brainer if for no other reason than the cable.

The Akito is $3195.  I would happily consider options. As for the Lp12, it doesn't have the added bracing but the plinth is sweet and the thing is dead silent. The motor was spot on 33.3.

Other than a new arm, it almost feels a little dirty to essentially pull it to bits and replace the whole guts which is what would happen. 

I bought a 70s LP12 without an arm, so far I have fitted a Hadcock unipivot arm, I have a Shure v15 type III cart, I need to set everything up, it should be fun as I am used to a Townshend Rock mk II

49 minutes ago, Batty said:

I bought a 70s LP12 without an arm, so far I have fitted a Hadcock unipivot arm, I have a Shure v15 type III cart, I need to set everything up, it should be fun as I am used to a Townshend Rock mk II

Apart from misreading Hadcock with an "r" in it that sounds good @Batty.

Hadcock UP would be good - as would a Roksan Nima.

Unfortunately, I can't recommend Duc's "Univector" - as he 'left the building' in May ... so they are no longer available.  And I'm sure owners of the 9.5" one aren't selling them!

Andy

23 minutes ago, andyr said:

Hadcock UP would be good - as would a Roksan Nima.

Unfortunately, I can't recommend Duc's "Univector" - as he 'left the building' in May ... so they are no longer available.  And I'm sure owners of the 9.5" one aren't selling them!

Andy

I joined this forum shortly before Duc's passing. He sounded like a pretty good bloke with a real talent for this stuff.

Thanks for the heads up - may try my luck in WTB.

What arm mount/geometry does the OL arm have....??

The OL arm is standard Linn geometry - 211mm pivot to spindle- just a drop in to a Linn armboard. There are plenty of options of going up in the OL line, including just rewiring it- decibel hifi carry the arms and mods.

@rodders3

Having been down the same path, I would also strongly recommend a Roksan Nima arm and a good MC. I found the Dynavector 20x2l was a great match.

As for power supply, the Hercules Mose was a major upgrade for me at a much lower price than a Lingo.