Raydiodaze

Yamaha NS1000 - Is it worth sourcing from Japan?

11 minutes ago, Raydiodaze said:

I'm actually looking for an Ebony pair. I have seen one or two but the ones I've seen to date haven't been all that great. It sounds from the feedback on here that they are a b it more common than I thought, and that I just need to keep checking StereoNet, Gumtree, Ebay etc. and the right ones will come along.

FYI I was smitten with the sound after hearing a pair at the Melbourne Hi-Fi show. I actually liked them slightly better than the $20K NS-5000s. 

Thanks again everyone for your input - it's appreciated.

P1200344.jpg

You can always buy a pair of more common NS-1000m and have new cabinets built. 

Be prepared to buy spare parts. I have a whole set of replacement parts in the garage for my pair. 

The tweeters and mids will get harder to source with time. Bear in mind that these are already vintage speakers. Woofer repair is not easy.

also shipping these speakers also has its dangers. You should google magnet slipping in regard to these speakers. 

Not saying don’t do it but go in with your eyes open. 

Edited by jakeyb77

1 hour ago, Raydiodaze said:

... FYI I was smitten with the sound after hearing a pair at the Melbourne Hi-Fi show. I actually liked them slightly better than the $20K NS-5000s. 

Don’t know about that Ken, I think the new NS-5000 are more refined and the bass is much more extended down low, much better for a domestic situation.

I have had many pairs of NS1000 & the M’s and be careful of the 1000 ebony pairs, they are smoother and look better, but maybe lacking the attack and truthfulness of the monitor-like 1000M?

Steve.

Snapper has some ns1200 for sale if they interest you 

Just be patient Radiodaze, they do show up here quite often. Also the ones on SNA are often in excellent condition, sometimes close to mint. Importing is complex and possibly disastrous. If they were super rare it is worth considering but not with the numbers in Australia. Fabulous speakers but partner with care, they require the right amplifier to show just what they are capable of.

One off them in Gumtree is a teak wood finish M version and actually looks better than ebony, which has very sharp edges prone to damage.

The picture above shows them incorrectly toed in, Yamaha says the other way round with tweeters on outer.

There was an M version in Gumtree last week for $45 with a woofer damaged and veneer work needed!

Edited by Al.M

2 hours ago, Ooogh said:

Just be patient Radiodaze, they do show up here quite often. Also the ones on SNA are often in excellent condition, sometimes close to mint. Importing is complex and possibly disastrous. If they were super rare it is worth considering but not with the numbers in Australia. Fabulous speakers but partner with care, they require the right amplifier to show just what they are capable of.

Thanks for that. I've pretty much decided that importing isn't the way to go thanks to all the info I've received. Wondering if you feel they'd partner well with either my Plinius 9200 SS intergrated or Primaluna Dialogue Premium HP integrated?

Here’s where I suggest Class A SS over 100w per channel and then all the tube lovers tell me I’m wrong. 😁👍

Have a read in the forums already discussing this topic to save the same argument. 

Oh and any 1000m or 1000 that aren’t black or ebony have been refinished and possibly new cabinets. Probably made of pieced together parts. 

Im not against that if done well as I’m doing it right now myself but just be aware. 

Maybe start with a pair of NS-1000M until an Ebony pair comes around, there was a pair in outstanding condition sold here not too long ago:

If you are wondering how different the Ebony is from the M version, have a listen to the videos in the following thread to get an idea, just excuse the tweeters/midrange position.