Yamaha NS1000 - Is it worth sourcing from Japan?

Hi,

I have been trying to find a mint or near mint pair of Yamaha NS-1000s but they seem to be pretty rare here in Australia. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with purchasing speakers direct from Japan, especially NS-1000s?

I'd be very grateful for any info/advice you can provide to help me decide whether it's worth going this route.

Thanks in advance.

Rare? Here?

Every man Jack and his dog seems to own a pair or owned a pair.

There are heaps and heaps of owners of these and the various other models in the range.

First bit of advice would be to put up a wanted to buy ad for them.

@jakeyb77 and @evil c were(are) huge fanbois of them especially the Evil one who's waxed lyrical about them for years and @Tony M has a few pairs from memory.

I'm sure they can help you in your search  and assist .

• Like 1

Guest jakeyb77
4 minutes ago, Luc said:

Rare? Here?

Every man Jack and his dog seems to own a pair or owned a pair.

There are heaps and heaps of owners of these and the various other models in the range.

First bit of advice would be to put up a wanted to buy ad for them.

@jakeyb77 and @evil c were(are) huge fanbois of them especially the Evil one who's waxed lyrical about them for years and @Tony M has a few pairs from memory.

I'm sure they can help you in your search  and assist .

Depends if the OP means the ebony 1000 or the 1000m. The later being very common. 

I’m on my fourth pair ???

Edited by jakeyb77

I knew you'd know or the Syndal Sage would.

There was thread a few years ago about HiFi Do and their Yammies for sale. I know nothing about much and these speakers even less so but I know Evil thought them the best thing since sliced bread or at least until he found the best thing since sliced bread...lol.

A WTB ad might winkle out a pair for the OP, you never know.

• Like 1

Ken,

Importing loudspeakers from Japan seems to a bit of a minefield these days. The Japan website that I use seems to flag all loudspeakers as ‘not suitable for export’. One reason being the spkr magnets are not acceptable for air shipping, second weight and freight costs up to $1000 for NS1000 and thirdly, some issues with the wooden cabinets and quarantine.

Agree with Luke that there are plenty of local options, I also have a pair in my collection which I may sell later, like many others here on StereoNET.

Regards,

Steve.

• Like 1

There are three pairs right now in the Gumtree.

They only rare if you don’t bother to look around for them and snap your fingers, blink and expect to see them in front of you instantly.

Edited by Al.M

I'm actually looking for an Ebony pair. I have seen one or two but the ones I've seen to date haven't been all that great. It sounds from the feedback on here that they are a b it more common than I thought, and that I just need to keep checking StereoNet, Gumtree, Ebay etc. and the right ones will come along.

FYI I was smitten with the sound after hearing a pair at the Melbourne Hi-Fi show. I actually liked them slightly better than the $20K NS-5000s. 

Thanks again everyone for your input - it's appreciated.

P1200344.jpg

• Like 1

Guest jakeyb77
11 minutes ago, Raydiodaze said:

I'm actually looking for an Ebony pair. I have seen one or two but the ones I've seen to date haven't been all that great. It sounds from the feedback on here that they are a b it more common than I thought, and that I just need to keep checking StereoNet, Gumtree, Ebay etc. and the right ones will come along.

FYI I was smitten with the sound after hearing a pair at the Melbourne Hi-Fi show. I actually liked them slightly better than the $20K NS-5000s. 

Thanks again everyone for your input - it's appreciated.

P1200344.jpg

You can always buy a pair of more common NS-1000m and have new cabinets built. 

Be prepared to buy spare parts. I have a whole set of replacement parts in the garage for my pair. 

The tweeters and mids will get harder to source with time. Bear in mind that these are already vintage speakers. Woofer repair is not easy.

also shipping these speakers also has its dangers. You should google magnet slipping in regard to these speakers. 

Not saying don’t do it but go in with your eyes open. 

Edited by jakeyb77

1 hour ago, Raydiodaze said:

... FYI I was smitten with the sound after hearing a pair at the Melbourne Hi-Fi show. I actually liked them slightly better than the $20K NS-5000s. 

Don’t know about that Ken, I think the new NS-5000 are more refined and the bass is much more extended down low, much better for a domestic situation.

I have had many pairs of NS1000 & the M’s and be careful of the 1000 ebony pairs, they are smoother and look better, but maybe lacking the attack and truthfulness of the monitor-like 1000M?

Steve.

• Like 1

Just be patient Radiodaze, they do show up here quite often. Also the ones on SNA are often in excellent condition, sometimes close to mint. Importing is complex and possibly disastrous. If they were super rare it is worth considering but not with the numbers in Australia. Fabulous speakers but partner with care, they require the right amplifier to show just what they are capable of.

• Like 2

One off them in Gumtree is a teak wood finish M version and actually looks better than ebony, which has very sharp edges prone to damage.

The picture above shows them incorrectly toed in, Yamaha says the other way round with tweeters on outer.

There was an M version in Gumtree last week for $45 with a woofer damaged and veneer work needed!

Edited by Al.M
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ooogh said:

Just be patient Radiodaze, they do show up here quite often. Also the ones on SNA are often in excellent condition, sometimes close to mint. Importing is complex and possibly disastrous. If they were super rare it is worth considering but not with the numbers in Australia. Fabulous speakers but partner with care, they require the right amplifier to show just what they are capable of.

Thanks for that. I've pretty much decided that importing isn't the way to go thanks to all the info I've received. Wondering if you feel they'd partner well with either my Plinius 9200 SS intergrated or Primaluna Dialogue Premium HP integrated?

Guest jakeyb77

Here’s where I suggest Class A SS over 100w per channel and then all the tube lovers tell me I’m wrong. ??

Have a read in the forums already discussing this topic to save the same argument. 

Guest jakeyb77

Oh and any 1000m or 1000 that aren’t black or ebony have been refinished and possibly new cabinets. Probably made of pieced together parts. 

Im not against that if done well as I’m doing it right now myself but just be aware. 

Maybe start with a pair of NS-1000M until an Ebony pair comes around, there was a pair in outstanding condition sold here not too long ago:

If you are wondering how different the Ebony is from the M version, have a listen to the videos in the following thread to get an idea, just excuse the tweeters/midrange position.