Raydiodaze

Yamaha NS1000 - Is it worth sourcing from Japan?

Hi,

I have been trying to find a mint or near mint pair of Yamaha NS-1000s but they seem to be pretty rare here in Australia. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with purchasing speakers direct from Japan, especially NS-1000s?

I'd be very grateful for any info/advice you can provide to help me decide whether it's worth going this route.

Thanks in advance.

Rare? Here?

Every man Jack and his dog seems to own a pair or owned a pair.

There are heaps and heaps of owners of these and the various other models in the range.

First bit of advice would be to put up a wanted to buy ad for them.

@jakeyb77 and @evil c were(are) huge fanbois of them especially the Evil one who's waxed lyrical about them for years and @Tony M has a few pairs from memory.

I'm sure they can help you in your search  and assist .

4 minutes ago, Luc said:

Rare? Here?

Every man Jack and his dog seems to own a pair or owned a pair.

There are heaps and heaps of owners of these and the various other models in the range.

First bit of advice would be to put up a wanted to buy ad for them.

@jakeyb77 and @evil c were(are) huge fanbois of them especially the Evil one who's waxed lyrical about them for years and @Tony M has a few pairs from memory.

I'm sure they can help you in your search  and assist .

Depends if the OP means the ebony 1000 or the 1000m. The later being very common. 

I’m on my fourth pair 😁😁😁

Edited by jakeyb77

I knew you'd know or the Syndal Sage would.

There was thread a few years ago about HiFi Do and their Yammies for sale. I know nothing about much and these speakers even less so but I know Evil thought them the best thing since sliced bread or at least until he found the best thing since sliced bread...lol.

A WTB ad might winkle out a pair for the OP, you never know.

Ken,

Importing loudspeakers from Japan seems to a bit of a minefield these days. The Japan website that I use seems to flag all loudspeakers as ‘not suitable for export’. One reason being the spkr magnets are not acceptable for air shipping, second weight and freight costs up to $1000 for NS1000 and thirdly, some issues with the wooden cabinets and quarantine.

Agree with Luke that there are plenty of local options, I also have a pair in my collection which I may sell later, like many others here on StereoNET.

Regards,

Steve.

If you’re looking those yammies then have a read of this thread -

Edited by Kaynin

Kaynin, is that meant as a Warning or a recommendation? Maybe the former ...

3 minutes ago, Steve M said:

Kaynin, is that meant as a Warning or a recommendation? Maybe the former ...

Most certainly meant as a warning.

There are three pairs right now in the Gumtree.

They only rare if you don’t bother to look around for them and snap your fingers, blink and expect to see them in front of you instantly.

Edited by Al.M

I'm actually looking for an Ebony pair. I have seen one or two but the ones I've seen to date haven't been all that great. It sounds from the feedback on here that they are a b it more common than I thought, and that I just need to keep checking StereoNet, Gumtree, Ebay etc. and the right ones will come along.

FYI I was smitten with the sound after hearing a pair at the Melbourne Hi-Fi show. I actually liked them slightly better than the $20K NS-5000s. 

Thanks again everyone for your input - it's appreciated.

P1200344.jpg