Beggars Banquet most important album 1968?

Not even close

Much as I love the Stones and Beggars Banquet the best album of 1968 was Astral Weeks and the most influential by a country mile was Music From Big Pink or Sweetheart Of The Rodeo

Big Pink fused almost every strain of American music and at the time sounded like nothing else and still resonates today It also included and 2 songs by Dylan (and The Band)from The Basement Tapes which were being played around London the previous year and had in themselves created a huge shift in British music 

Beggars is the first of the Stones 4 great records and was around the time that Keith Richards and Gram Parsons started a friendship that bonded over heroin and country music

Parsons was the driving force in a collaborative sense behind Sweetheart Of The Radio although his vocals were scrubbed from the record for contractual reasons

The Byrd’s were in London about to tour South Africa and Richards explainer To Parsons why South Africa was boycotted Parsons quit the Byrd’s and started hanging out with The Stones

A lot more complicated than that like everything is but there  are dozens of books written about those times and the players that made those records and how they all fit into rock and roll at the time it was being cross pollinated so to speak with country music

i feel better now?

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I can remember buying both the White Album and Beggars Banquet in 1968.  Beggars Banquet in particular was a huge relief after the Stones stuffed it up completely with Their Satanic Majesties Request and I agree that it was better than the White Album.  But I bought a bunch of other albums in 1968 too! ?.  Two that I'm sure got more time on my turntable than either the Beatles or the Stones were Electric Ladyland by Hendrix and Wheels Of Fire by Cream.  Either one is my 1968 pick.

Always helpful to go to the article here, where the writer defines "most important" as "most consequential". On these terms, if we were talking of 1967 it would be The Velvet Underground and Nico.

As for 1968, and using the writer's examples of consequence, it's Music from Big Pink (w/ its Basement Tapes elements) that comes out ahead.

FWIW I play Big Pink more often but Beggar's Banquet louder. Way louder.

Yes, most consequential or most interesting  is worth discussing.  I love all these albums but what’s best seems to me a pointless argument. I probably play Pink and associated albums more than any of the others but does that make it my favourite? Hendrix, Cream - impossible choices. 

Maybe Beggars Banquet is the most significant because it’s more of a window on the year than the others. It draws on many different musical and lyrical traditions - US & UK - combining them into something very new so it’s a critical album in that respect. But it also deals more directly with and has its finger on the social currents of the time - especially in London, and it is a very ‘London’ album  - way more intensely than the other albums. 1968 was a year of social and cultural revolution, there was real fighting in the streets.

Pink is no doubt incredibly influential but it’s musical and social roots are more obvious and it turns away from that bigger political/social disruption in a very american way. - thats of course significant in itself and part of the time. Pink is wonderful but it presages a run of Dylan’s weaker and inward looking albums after the absolute genius of JWH.

For me Astral Weeks is the most interesting album from that period - musically and lyrically - though it doesn’t  seem to belong to any specific time. Its still a surprising and quite amazing album. Mind you, I didn’t discover Van till 1973. 

I love Beggars Banquet, can’t see the fuss about the White album though.

But agree with @keyse1, Astral Weeks is my pick of the best album of that year. And in my top five albums ever. 

Music from Big Pink is another standout from ‘68, and Nefertiti from Miles Davis would be my pick from the jazz genre.

• Like 1

Unbelievable year for music. Most important album?

What's important? The progression of a certain band? The progression of a certain genre? Influence on later artists? 

Cream - Wheels of Fire

Across the pond:

Velvet Underground - White Light, White Heat

The Byrds - The Notorious Byrd Brothers

Blood, Sweat & Tears - Child Is Father to the Man

Edited by was_a

Wow guys can’t fault any of these nominations but have a soft spot for the Big Pink.

oh and was only born that year, so didn’t pick up any of those albums at that time, unfortunately neither did my parents?

shame on them

• Like 1

On 07/12/2018 at 8:15 PM, Demondes said:

Wow guys can’t fault any of these nominations but have a soft spot for the Big Pink.

oh and was only born that year, so didn’t pick up any of those albums at that time, unfortunately neither did my parents?

shame on them

Not quite sure how to quantify 'most important' in that context, but what a year for music. Birth occured to me2also.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Me2also said:

Not quite sure how to quantify 'most important' in that context, but what a year for music. Birth occured to me2also.

Most important, most significant, best etc is rubbish, of course. It’s an invitation to think about some great music - a conversation starter, that’s all.

Edited by buddyev
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, Luc said:

Old guys riffing about 50 yr old muzak...shite load of better stuff since then.

No nothing better since or before - this is the only music that counts. It’s the epitome of what went before and the beginning of a decline for what came after. Monteverdi, Bach, Mozart’s, Stravinsky, John Coltrane   - they were only just warm up acts for Parachute Woman. 

Silly ****. 

• Like 1

Haha. It's the silly season indeed.

1 hour ago, Me2also said:

What an insightful contrabution. Good for you.

Yes, I thought so!

Have an 'i' on me.

*Oh! Your a Qlder I see, sorry, I'll explain then. I was having a dig at some friends. A point easily lost when your reading text only. I'm sure the aforementioned albums are ok but we move on you know or in buddyev's case you go off tangent and all weird...but that's another story.

Black+Blue was a much better album than that 68 dross and Blood on the Tracks craps all over Music from big pink ?

@Russ. I keep reading Bacharach for Bach. Apart from that being plain silly, hasn't it got a name when you see one thing but name another? (...leaves door wide open for a kicking...)

Interesting discussion. The existence of "Oh-bla-di-o-bli-dah' (or whatever its called) not only disqualifies the White Album, but is clear evidence on why the Stones are better than the Beatles.

I don't think I'm qualified to say what is the most important album for all popular music from 1968, but for the stuff I dig (punk and sleazy rock n roll) it's a toss up between VUs 'White Light/White Heat' and Blue Cheers 'Vincebus Eruptum'. Both are monstrous albums in their own way, the Velvets chewed up and spat out what rock n roll means with stuff like 'Sister Ray' and 'The Gift', Blue Cheer just blew the doors off everything that went before it.

Special mention to the Mothers for 'We're Only it it for the Money, coz it's awesome

@Luc Funny when I see Luc I think lucubration. Or was that Luco Brazzi - who sleeps with the fishes.

Anyway talking about Burt Bacharach, Bach is about 50% of my listening these days. Love this new ECM recording of Bach cello suites transcribed for viola by Kim Kashkasian. Very very good. Tidal or Spotify it. 

Black and Blue is dull, just going through the motions.

Blood on the Tracks - yes. 

4 minutes ago, caddisgeek said:

Interesting discussion. The existence of "Oh-bla-di-o-bli-dah' (or whatever its called) not only disqualifies the White Album, but is clear evidence on why the Stones are better than the Beatles.

I don't think I'm qualified to say what is the most important album for all popular music from 1968, but for the stuff I dig (punk and sleazy rock n roll) it's a toss up between VUs 'White Light/White Heat' and Blue Cheers 'Vincebus Eruptum'. Both are monstrous albums in their own way, the Velvets chewed up and spat out what rock n roll means with stuff like 'Sister Ray' and 'The Gift', Blue Cheer just blew the doors off everything that went before it.

Special mention to the Mothers for 'We're Only it it for the Money, coz it's awesome

The Beatles did some truly awful crap, mcartney couldn’t fart without churning out some vacuous jingle - half rock half English music hall.

White Light is one of my faves. 

Since I was an early convert to progressive rock I will put forward a few of the best prog releases of 1968 

Pink Floyd - A Saucerful Of Secrets 

The Mother’s Of Invention - We’re Only In It For The Money 

Deep Purple - The Book Of Taliesyn 

Moody Blues - In Search Of The Lost Chord 

• Like 1

Bah&humbug you old fogies, get a grip I say!

Take those rose coloured specs off, put that glass of Ben Ean Moselle down or Blue Nun if your an inner city type(or Mateus Rose if your a full blown wally) turn off Homicide on the the TV  or the Mavis Brampton Show  and listen to the sheer creative climax that was Black + Blue and culminated in so many fantastic tracks!

#The hand of fate is on me now
It pick me up and knock me down
I'm on the run, I'm prison bound
The hand of fate is heavy now
I killed a man, I'm highway bound #

Mick n Keeth at their best yeah...