miksmiks84

Oppo UPD-205 or Pioneer UDP-LX800

Hi. I have an question to someone who might have experience with both of these players. I know Oppo stopped producing, and basically there was no competition on that level until Pioneer made LX500, LX800 players. But I do have question more so not who is better (sure any subjective experience interest me as well), but who have UHD ISO, BD ISO, BDMV folder playback possibility? I know that Oppo 203, 205 have with some modification or so called jailbreak, and then all possible formats are playable, BD and UHD menus too as I understood. But giving  that Oppo don't produce any players and modified ones can be bought only from Russia, plus price is extremely huge, then I want to understand if Pioneer LX models are doing what Oppo with mentioned content, and if there is any actual technical updates? Oppo 205 had headphone dac what is big deal to me. Will appreciate any recomendations or advice. I know Pioneer LX800 cost more than 2000 Eur, but so as Oppo 205 now. 

The pioneer is SO expensive !

and if paying rip off prices on OPPO on eBay ? Why ? It’s crazy !

buy a media player for iso playback buy a headphone amp that’s those two requirements done

are there other specific reasons want either these players ?

Oppo if modified plays all. Price is very high but then again no other so called media player will not be even close on media playback, quality of picture. Egreat, zidoo, zappiti, dune they all are media players but neither comes close to Oppo. Not mentioning actual UHD disk playback smoothness. As well dac for phones alone would cost me 1000$ for rme adi-2 dac what is sure amazing. Concluding that it is half of Oppo price already. Anyways my question stays open for further discussion.

3 hours ago, miksmiks84 said:

, but who have UHD ISO, BD ISO, BDMV folder playback possibility? I know that Oppo 203, 205 have with some modification or so called jailbreak, and then all possible formats are playable, BD and UHD menus too as I understood.

Its not allowed for any licensed bluray player unfortunately to play iso's miksmik or even close to the codecs a good media player can - the pio lx500 doesn't even list mkv's under its codec list . The Russian alternative doesn't abide by copyright or zoning niceties needless to say.. 

I would suggest you have a look at the latest dune hd ultra ; its got separate power supplies ; top notch capacitors and sabre dacs with fully balanced xlr's [ reads like an oppo's specification :whistle: ]

http://dune-hd.com/eng/products/full_hd_media_players/62

5 hours ago, miksmiks84 said:

Oppo if modified plays all. Price is very high but then again no other so called media player will not be even close on media playback, quality of picture. Egreat, zidoo, zappiti, dune they all are media players but neither comes close to Oppo. Not mentioning actual UHD disk playback smoothness. As well dac for phones alone would cost me 1000$ for rme adi-2 dac what is sure amazing. Concluding that it is half of Oppo price already. Anyways my question stays open for further discussion.

I've owned dune AND oppo same time. they both have their purpose in life....

I haven't as yet seen what specifically you are chasing that is so unique to the oppo. or if so unique would rule out the pio ? 

uhd playback ? am using pana ub9000 currently as player it seems to do a great job. I also own the 205 its a swiss army knit in replay capability, do you need its universal disc play ? you havent mentioned that ? 

5 hours ago, miksmiks84 said:

By the way what about Cambridge CXUHD? I just remembered this player too 

it uses same media trek platform as oppos so a universal player but a transport only ie no dac or analog stage.

Well basically I would need for everything. I know that it does not exist - for everything, but as close as possible. Meaning UHD disc playback good but on last place I would say. Most important UHD folder, BD folder playback, perfect case scenario with all menus. So content playback from external hdd let's say. No interest in any NAS or plex media, Netflix etc, so basically zero interest in streaming whatsoever. Simple playback of UHD,BD folder/iso content. And second most important is good headphone support, so some good dac. I mean I was looking on additional solution with rme adi-2 dac but if purchase that then price becomes very heavy on all together. So for now I can't find perfect machine for me. All media boxes seems have too many flaws, built badly, many crappy parts inside, don't play my mentioned content with menus or play with many errors. So I went through all of them including Oppo and found that as best built machine + UHD disc player for sure. Probably it is not best solution but what I can say. Panasonic, pioneer, sony don't have these options plus Copyright issues I think so yeah either jailbreak Oppo or stick to Dune I guess but again I read in many places about questionable built quality. There is sure zidoo, egreat, himedia,zappiti but all of them perform weak, and are same in general. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Edited by miksmiks84

If it's mainly for HT then what about the Oppo 203? easier to find and much less expensive. Back to back with the 205 it's not as good for 2-channel duties, but the differences are not huge.

cheers Terry.

Edited by TerryO

Yeah i was checking that too. What are biggest differences between 203 and 205? How actually is with future proof if I may say. Like how long these hardware specs will hold in daily usage considering that today for home viewing nothing higher is on horizon than 4K Dolby vision, HDR etc. I'm just thinking that considering Oppo is out of producing than these two are last models to buy. They will not get better but competition for sure will push newer stuff outside, maybe less quality but still. So for today's prices (and obviously my personal already mentioned specific needs) Oppo 203 would be suitable option if I know that I want peace in next few years regarding player capabilities?

Edited by miksmiks84