mexicoke68

Any film shooters on here?

Film photography seems to be in trend again, wondering if there are any other film shooters on here? What gear do you use and what film do you like?

I'll start. Been shooting film for a couple of years now, never shot digital before other than on iPhone. Been through over a dozen film cameras over that time ... finally settling on a Mamiya 6. 

Favourite film would have to be Provia 400X but sad to see that they discontinued it this year. 

s-l300.jpg

Edited by mexicoke68

Yes, no interest in digital photography. Prefer the physical medium and the challenges, no back button in the darkroom.

Have everything from 35mm through to 14"x17". From pin hole to the last of the auto focus domestic cameras. View, view finders, rangefinders, SLR, dont discriminate.

Small darkroom, make silver gelatin prints and do alternative process.  Have everything to do colour, just haven't tried.

Get into it its great.

With some time off over Christmas I'm hopefully going to finally get around to digitising with a DLSR, macro lens, light box, strobes, etc. some old negatives and transparencies.

That's shooting film isn't it 😀

Go for the mamiya 7, more versatile format which will last you better.

Pentax 67ii even more versatile

Now this is large format! Book features laser scans from the original glass plate negatives! Bought myself a copy years ago.

< His equipment was bulky and heavy. Mostly, he used an 11x14 (inch!) Empire State view camera. It could be rested on a tripod that extended to above 12 feet -- so he could get the right angle in photographing men working from springboards above the swell and heavy resin at the butt of a tree. His 20x20 camera required two tripods. >

< Tabitha Kinsey probably did not expect that marriage would result in 50 years of darkroom toil, but it was she who provided the care and skill that have preserved the Kinsey photos to be admired a half-century later. >

regards Ian

3 hours ago, ArthurDent said:

With some time off over Christmas I'm hopefully going to finally get around to digitising with a DLSR, macro lens, light box, strobes, etc. some old negatives and transparencies.

That's shooting film isn't it 😀

Probably faster than using a dedicated neg scanner, they can be very slow! Although one of the Epson flat bed scanners with the back light lid (I have the V700) can do 35mm up to A4, er 8" x 10" sized neg's and transparencies quite well

7 minutes ago, Ian McP said:

Now this is large format! Book features laser scans from the original glass plate negatives! Bought myself a copy years ago.

< His equipment was bulky and heavy. Mostly, he used an 11x14 (inch!) Empire State view camera. It could be rested on a tripod that extended to above 12 feet -- so he could get the right angle in photographing men working from springboards above the swell and heavy resin at the butt of a tree. His 20x20 camera required two tripods. >

< Tabitha Kinsey probably did not expect that marriage would result in 50 years of darkroom toil, but it was she who provided the care and skill that have preserved the Kinsey photos to be admired a half-century later. >

regards Ian

Why would you use a laser scanner on a 2 dimensional photo?

9 minutes ago, awty said:

Why would you use a laser scanner on a 2 dimensional photo?

that's what it says in the book

On 07/12/2018 at 11:17 AM, two fold said:

Go for the mamiya 7, more versatile format which will last you better.

Pentax 67ii even more versatile

I've considered it many times before and while I like the added versatility and larger neg size of the M7, the Mamiya 6 is more well built, better lens glass, faster averaging meter (vs M7 spot meter) and is way more compact when folded ... even more compact than my previous Fuji GA645 which many people consider a MF point & shoot. It also looks better in black compared to the grey mamiya 7 and is more rare - I have a soft spot for rarities. I'd consider a Mamiya 7II in black but they're like 3 times the price...

Pentax 67II ? *thunderclap* 

Not a fan of SLR medium formats but it's got some very nice lenses indeed. Great photos I've seen out of them .. must be the lens character. 

On 07/12/2018 at 2:38 PM, Ian McP said:

https://filmneverdie.com/

camera wise, prices are what you'd say..... "optimistic"

Beyond optimistic... straight ripoffs for someone who can take 5 mins of their day to browse ebay or gumtree. But, knowing the guys who run it, the prices make sense given who they market their cameras to (brunswick hipster folk with daddy's trust fund money)