Mat-with-one-t

Outdoor speakers advice - covered porch/large area

Hi guys.  I've had a read through Outdoor posts, but they're all getting a bit old, and I figure models and prices will have changed.  So with summer upon us, I thought I'd start up a new beer-drinking, BBQ'in, music listening thread!!

So, Here's my situation:

- I have pre-wired speaker cable in my roof space/wall to each side (about 4m apart) of my new porch.  This area overlooks a wide open space, so there will be a tendency for sound to disappear into the far yonder rather than bounce around. 

- I have a spare integrated amp that runs 80w/channel, so could use this to drive them (this way I can avoid "switch boxes" for multiple speaker sets, although this would be an option too I suppose....

- In terms of source, for outdoor it'd be exclusively digital streaming (Spotify), so could just hook up a cheap streamer (I have a Spotify one I got for $40 which works well).  I don't wanna get too "audiophile", as detail will be lost into the wild. 

- I'd like descent sound for quiet background whilst sitting on porch, through to descent loud music for gardening and the odd get together.  We usually crank my main indoor system if loud and high quality is required!

- I don't wanna add a sub

- They need to be black to "hide" amongst our colour scheme

- need to be weatherproof (although mostly sheltered)

- I have ability to choose placement and angle brackets.

- not sure on budget yet - depends what's good value.  Will tend (as we do!) to higher end stuff.

- Happy with used/demo

- It has to be an easy system for everyone to use, thus: turn on integrated (selector permanently on correct streamer channel), choose on Spotify, Go.....

What are peoples' thoughts/experience with speakers?

Cheers,

Mat

PS.  Can't believe that was my 999th post.  I might just stop there.....

Edited by Mat-with-one-t

You'll be surprised how good indoor speakers can sound once you remove the room.

I had a GYG a few years ago where we ran 1 system out the back, a pair of Castle Richmond 3s never sounded so good.

20 minutes ago, Batty said:

You'll be surprised how good indoor speakers can sound once you remove the room.

I had a GYG a few years ago where we ran 1 system out the back, a pair of Castle Richmond 3s never sounded so good.

Yeah, but I imagine that exposure to moisture, the odd extremely weather, cold, heat etc, plus fairly permanent placement,  means sticking to speakers designed for purpose.....

1 hour ago, Mat-with-one-t said:

Yeah, but I imagine that exposure to moisture, the odd extremely weather, cold, heat etc, plus fairly permanent placement,  means sticking to speakers designed for purpose.....

I never meant keep them out there, just saying how different they sound from inside.

2 hours ago, Bunno77 said:

Thanks mate.  Do you have any experience of any of the Kefs?  I recall reading good things about Kef, Yamaha, Klipsch, Pyle, JBL....

I suppose I’d like to hear about people’s experiences, or about speakers they think represent great value and higher end performance...,,,

Edited by Mat-with-one-t

4 minutes ago, larry2 said:

i have been using some krix outdoor speakers on a balcony, they have lasted quite well for quite a few years

they are aquatix or tropix

https://www.krix.com.au/outdoor/

I’ll have a read.  What are your thoughts after a few years?  Sound/value/weatherproofiness.....?

Thanks mate.  Do you have any experience of any of the Kefs?
Used to listen to them daily.
Depending on your budget buy the highest price of these that fits.

I far preferred them over Paradigm, Bose, Yamaha and Origin Acoustics. This is saying something because I own decent Paradigm floorstanders and prefer Paradigm in-walls to similar from Kef

The Krix mentioned are probably fantastic too. Try to demo some if you can.

i have had them outside on a 2nd floor exposed balcony, some salt air, and they must be at least 5 years old, first connected to a denon amp, now connected to sonos amp

they produce nice sounding music, and seem very robust

Edited by larry2