georgehifi

Naim R2R Multibit Network player, keeping up the iconic CD555 legend.

28 minutes ago, mloutfie said:

is there better R2R than PCM1704

The PCM1704K ("K" stood for special selected) is "said" to be the last and best R2R made for audio, my Linn CD12 MkIII uses 4 of these K's in it. There are old R2R chips still being made like the Schiit Yaggy uses (Analog devices AD5791) but it wasn't designed for audio but said to be for a US missile guidance system or as it says on the data sheet high end aerospace instrumentation.

https://www.analog.com/media/en/technical-documentation/data-sheets/ad5791.pdf

Now it up to the discrete R2R designers Holo, Denafrips, Sokris, Total,  ect, ect  to get up to and maybe beat the PCM1704K, and if the Holo was any indication that I used, there already up there.

Cheers George 

Edited by georgehifi

On 07/12/2018 at 6:06 PM, davewantsmoore said:

To be clear... the ND-555 uses 16x oversampling.

At 44.1k  :)

2 hours ago, zenelectro said:

At 44.1k  :)

Of course (and I assume at 48khz too) .... the DAC runs at a max speed of 768k

On 07/12/2018 at 4:54 PM, georgehifi said:

The PCM1704K ("K" stood for special selected) is "said" to be the last and best R2R made for audio, my Linn CD12 MkIII uses 4 of these K's in it. There are old R2R chips still being made like the Schiit Yaggy uses (Analog devices AD5791) but it wasn't designed for audio but said to be for a US missile guidance system or as it says on the data sheet high end aerospace instrumentation.

https://www.analog.com/media/en/technical-documentation/data-sheets/ad5791.pdf

Now it up to the discrete R2R designers Holo, Denafrips, Sokris, Total,  ect, ect  to get up to and maybe beat the PCM1704K, and if the Holo was any indication that I used, there already up there.

Cheers George 

The DAC I uses 8 chip pcm1704uk (audio GD nos 7) good to know the newer discreet are up there in performance. Cos I tried yggy and personally is not as good as the audiogd nos7

Be advised that this topic is under Moderator Watch and may be locked at any time if it does not stay on topic or respectful of others views.