georgehifi

Naim R2R Multibit Network player, keeping up the iconic CD555 legend.

Naims new $25kaud? Flagship Reference R2R Multibit ND555 network player still using the PCM1704 dac converters.

Maybe with this, streamed and dowloaded music, can sound as good to me that my Linn CD12 does?

https://www.naimaudio.com/product/nd-555

https://brisbanehifi.com.au/products/naim-nd-555-reference-network-player

Taking up from their legendary very sought after CD555 with 555 power base https://www.naimaudio.com/product/cd555

Cheers George

Edited by georgehifi

Fantastico!

https://www.naimaudio.com/sites/default/files/products/downloads/files/ND 555 White Paper Final_0.pdf

There's a lot of mileage getting got, from hooking up "older and simpler" converters to "lots of pre-processing".... and essentially asking the converter to "get out of the way" so the processing can have it's way.

Naim are using the (almost) same processors as MiniDSP, et al. ... where as others are using their own more bespoke efforts all the way up to things like the HQplayer and XXhighend efforts.   MQA also works on the same kinda of mindset (ie. we know what errors your DAC will make - here's a digital filter for it).

18 hours ago, davewantsmoore said:

Naim are using the (almost) same processors as MiniDSP

shame about the d to a converter in it, couldn't get rid of my minidsp 2x4HD quick enough.

Cheers George

Edited by georgehifi

6 minutes ago, georgehifi said:

shame about the dac, couldn't get rid of my 2x4HD quick enough.

Cheers George

George ,were you using the 2x4hd full range? I tried the 2x4HD processing the sound to both the mains speakers and subs and didn't like the compromises however I now feed the signal to the main speakers direct from the pre and used a second set of pre outs to feed the 2x4HD and then the subs. This seems to work very well.

I tried it numerous ways, but in the end the cons (mids/highs) out weighed the pro's (bass).

Not for me  went back the Linn CD12 (4 x PCM1704K) to active analog 24db <150hz down, and passive 18db >150hz up, best I've had.

Anything else done in the digital was surgical and sterile, except like I said the bass.

Cheers George 

Edited by georgehifi

23 minutes ago, Ozcall said:

I now feed the signal to the main speakers direct from the pre and used a second set of pre outs to feed the 2x4HD and then the subs. This seems to work very well.

You would have a massive latency problem between subs and mains doing this I'm afraid.

Cheers George

Edited by georgehifi

49 minutes ago, georgehifi said:

shame about the dac, couldn't get rid of my 2x4HD quick enough

These devices (especially the non-HD model) need to be used very carefully with respect to levels .... They need to be quite high, as there is very little margin before the DAC linearity, and noise floor are exposed.

1 hour ago, georgehifi said:

You would have a massive latency problem between subs and mains doing this I'm afraid.

No.   By default there is no delay.    Whether you get any delay or not, depends on what filters are programmed..... so it's up to the end user.    Typical filters will not have any problematic delay .... let alone, a "massive problem".     OTOH, some filters have huge amounts of inherent delay.

1 hour ago, davewantsmoore said:

By default there is no delay. 

If he's doing the bass/room/xover management with it and not going through it for the main speakers, there is a latency problem, even Allan and Kim from Deqx will tell you the same, as I told you before end of story.

Back on topic please, and not get this thread locked as well.

Edited by georgehifi

Crossover and eq for bass is done on the 2x4hd ,my Gales run full range. A latency problem may exist however the overall sound compared to just using the Gales is , on balance , improved to my ears. It all sounds coherent and ,yes, tunefull. :)

35 minutes ago, georgehifi said:

If he's doing the bass/room/xover management with it and not going through it for the main speakers, there is a latency problem

Completely wrong.    There is no delay by default.    The delay you get depends on the filter you program.... and only a specific type of filter (which most people won't use) have a "big delay issue".

36 minutes ago, georgehifi said:

I told you before end of story. 

Yes you did... and  you were wrong... and I explained to you that you were wrong at the time.

This is not "technicality wrong" ..... This is where you are telling people to expect the exact opposite of what they should expect .... and this is quite basic stuff.

Yet, it's "end of story".    Niiice.

37 minutes ago, georgehifi said:

even Allan and Kim from Deqx will tell you the same

You have misunderstood their advice.    They are specifically talking about a type of filter (FIR) which has a large amount of inherent delay.

People would not use that filter type when they are doing what you are discussing.    The other filter types available, do not cause problematic delay.

As mentioned, the device has no delay by default, and the delay introduced depends on the filters programmed.

Be advised that this topic is under Moderator Watch and may be locked at any time if it does not stay on topic or respectful of others views.