B&W 702 S1 - How much break in needed?

Audiofix,

I have concrete under carpet. I'm currently using spikes, but I've tried them without too. The store demo'd the CM10s with one of the amps I'm currently using to drive them - a Primaluna Dialogue Premium HP with KT88s. In the store it sounded like a nice synergy, but the store wouldn't sell their demo speakers so I got brand new ones, hence my thought that it's a break-in issue. Of course the store has wall and corner treatments so you'd expect their listening space to be a lot better then mine.

I may try moving my whole system to another room of the house and see if there's any significant improvement.

• 4 weeks later...

hey all, definitely at least 100 hours break in, I've a CD that's "XLO Test & Burn-in CD" (RX-1000) it's HDCD runs you through a complete set up, phase, toe in, out etc also a Demagnetising fade/ sweep,plus some awesome High dynamic tracks. My DM 604 S3 600 LCR and the ASW 675 always sound incredible after all these years (14), there is also a burn in track that covers all the frequency's something I put everything through if these's to be a session. ( Arcam CD T73, Denon DvD 3930 and a Cambridge Audio Azur 650R which is Bi-amped for the mains) ..... sweetXLO/Reference Test & Burn In listening ....Cheers all 

Edited by stevebramford
new pic
  • Like 1

Did you try the set up in another room. Having just quickly re read the thread my guess is its one of those compounding type issues. ie no one cause of the issue.

I would be setting them up face to face with one speaker out of phase and play music at a fairly high level (use your volume control as an indicator as to how loud it is as with the out of phase arrangement and the close proximity to each other there will be lots of cancellation).

Have them about 30 - 50mm apart. About 11 o clock on the volume dial in the old volume language

After 50 hours of that if there is no improvement much then time to borrow a different amp and try some different cables. Also move the speakers around the room. Avoid placing them symmetrically in the room and placing them on any mid lines. The rule of thirds is a good one to follow.

Andrew.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Audiofix said:

Did you try the set up in another room. Having just quickly re read the thread my guess is its one of those compounding type issues. ie no one cause of the issue.

I would be setting them up face to face with one speaker out of phase and play music at a fairly high level (use your volume control as an indicator as to how loud it is as with the out of phase arrangement and the close proximity to each other there will be lots of cancellation).

Have them about 30 - 50mm apart. About 11 o clock on the volume dial in the old volume language

After 50 hours of that if there is no improvement much then time to borrow a different amp and try some different cables. Also move the speakers around the room. Avoid placing them symmetrically in the room and placing them on any mid lines. The rule of thirds is a good one to follow.

Andrew.

Thanks for your detailed reply Andrew. I haven't yet moved my system as it's pretty difficult to find another space in our existing home to put it. At the moment I've shelved the CM10s and am using a pair of CM1s on stands which actually sound better in this room. I have two different amps, a solid state Plinius 9200 and a Primaluna Dialogue Premium HP running KT88 tubes, and neither changes the sound signature dramatically. Mids sound pretty good, so for certain music types (Jazz, Vocal etc) the system is adequate but not engaging in the way I'd hoped for. Unfortunately my tastes run to 1970s and 80s Pop/Rock (Eagles/Fleetwood Mac/ELO et.) and it's here the system sounds not much better than my portable JBL Onbeat Extreme. Very frustrating!

I'll give your suggestion a go and see how that goes, though I really think now that this is a room issue.

I truly appreciate your input and the other input of the SN members - a great bunch of people!