Sign in to follow this  
daoki

Add more speakers lose power ?

9 minutes ago, Muon N' said:

Yeah, the impedance would possibly be below 2ohms, maybe well below with 2x Bose hanging off each Polk.

I looked for those specs for the Bose without any result.

The rest is covered by ZB, and nicely.

Here is the frequency response of the satellite filters fitted to the Bose system. Cut-off is a little higher than 200Hz, not 300Hz as I previously stated.

image.png.3bfc374b815e0523e7657643e2481f11.png 

I gave that a like, Trevor, even though I am a bit lost with the graphs :lol:

But I agree, they would be toast!

@daoki Time to look at some other way to improve the listening experience, and caulk this up as a learning experience.

2 hours ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

No. The Bose cubes will be destroyed and all the power will then be routed to the Polks. All good. 

:D

Hey guys. If I was to get rid of the cubes and invest in some decent bookshelfs do you think it could be possible to hook up the A7s into speaker A of the power amp and the bookshelfs into speaker B of the power amp and then obviously switch on a+b from the front to produce sound out of all speakers. Is this a safer way of doing things you think? Surely it must be a more protective way if I was to set up 2 sets of speakers without a receiver and straight to amplifier ? I’m assuming my power amplifier would be able to handle this ? Other wise the power amplifier itself wouldn’t have the switch set if outputs speaker A and Speaker B?

On 05/12/2018 at 11:19 PM, daoki said:

does it mean my polks are losing power because the Bose cubes are taking the power from them theM?

No.... It means that your amplifier need to produce "more power" to feed them all.

Or does it mean if the Bose cubes are using 135 watts

No...  These numbers are the peak power that the speaker is designed to handle.... not how much the speaker typically draws.

If you are playing loud, each speaker might be using 10, 20, 50 watts.... something like that.

On 06/12/2018 at 3:22 AM, daoki said:

What will happen if I set them up like that ?

Your amplifier will work harder (almost definitely OK)

Bass frequencies will go to the cubes  (if you play don't keep the volume down low, they will sound bad at best, and be destroyed at worst)

On 06/12/2018 at 9:05 AM, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

Correct, but, as I already stated, only for a short time, until the Bose cubes are turned into smoking hulks. I'd give it 2 ~ 3 minutes. Tops.

The drivers will suffer from over excursion before excessive power .... so no smoke/toast.   :no:

Although damaged/angry speakers, none the less   :) 

13 hours ago, daoki said:

Hey guys. If I was to get rid of the cubes and invest in some decent bookshelfs do you think it could be possible to hook up the A7s into speaker A of the power amp and the bookshelfs into speaker B of the power amp and then obviously switch on a+b from the front to produce sound out of all speakers.

Yes.

Using the A+B function is better/safer ..... although there is nothing super wrong with how you have them hooked up now.    The problem is that those cubes are not designed to be driven from anything other than their subwoofer --- because the subwoofer stops them from receiving bass frequencies.

Too much bass will rip the cones in the cubes.... so watch out.

Edited by davewantsmoore

35 minutes ago, daoki said:

Here are pictures of behind my power amplifier is it possible to do and how ?

https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649315113-yamaha-pc2002m-2-channel-amplifier/images/1383908/

No it's not possible, speaker A and B  are referring to 2 channels, left/ right, stereo, however you want to describe it. It is not referring to 2 different sets of speakers.

Big thumbs up to @davewantsmoore  and others, for answering the questions from a beginner without using the words "stupid" "VERY stupid" and "dumb".

20 minutes ago, DarkNark said:

Big thumbs up to @davewantsmoore  and others, for answering the questions from a beginner without using the words "stupid" "VERY stupid" and "dumb".

Very well said, we were all beginners once !!! :thumb: 

5 hours ago, davewantsmoore said:

The problem is that those cubes “are” designed to be driven from anything other than their subwoofer

Might need to correct this Dave (my italics)😉

SS