B&W 702 S1 - How much break in needed?

Hi,

This is my first post to the forum and I'm looking for some advice. I have a set of B&W 702s (series 1) that I bought new about 14 months ago. Unfortunately they don't sound nearly as good in my lounge as they did at the Hi-Fi shop where I bought them. I've tried all sorts of locations, both with and without spikes and have used 2 different amps to drive them ( a Primaluna Dialogue HP integrated running KT88 valves, and a Plinius 9200 solid state integrated). The sound to me is a bit wooly, especially in the bass department. I am using pretty ordinary cables (plain old thick Monster cable). 

Could the problem be lack of break-in time? I've probably only used them about 40hours to date, or could my cables or amp/speaker pairing be the issue?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Ken.

P1200481.jpg

Have the amplifiers you are using had burn in time or are they also new?

I would suggest and it’s a total yardstick guesstimate that you would want 100 hours on the speakers for things to loosen up. My experience with speakers that usually when they are brand new they can sound a little stiff and bass is a bit recessed for want of a better term. Perhaps leave everything running over a few days at low volume and then reassess.

• Like 1

I have wondered about what volume levels are required for a 'good' burn in period.

@astormsau you suggest low volume, which I would imagine is better than not doing it at all, but if the idea is to get things moving in an optimal way would low volume move things enough?

I don't really make it past 1/4 on my volume dial so maybe I'll never burn my speakers in 'properly' :D 

• 1 month later...
On 05/12/2018 at 6:08 PM, Raydiodaze said:

Unfortunately they don't sound nearly as good in my lounge as they did at the Hi-Fi shop where I bought them. I've tried all sorts of locations, both with and without spikes and have used 2 different amps to drive them ( a Primaluna Dialogue HP integrated running KT88 valves, and a Plinius 9200 solid state integrated). The sound to me is a bit wooly, especially in the bass department. I am using pretty ordinary cables (plain old thick Monster cable). 

Break in for speakers is about 100 hours. That said, you have unwittingly described something there that will have the greatest impact on the sound of those speakers, and I've highlighted it. Your room! Positioning the speakers is crucial as you've tried, but many (most?) rooms benefit from room treatment. You will never have the same pair of speakers sound the same in two completely different rooms. As for the cables? No no no no. Cables are not going to remotely make that big a difference that they'll correct what you're describing. Speaker cable effects are very subtle compared to the bigger issues. Worry about cables last (if at all!)

• Like 1

I agree that some room treatment can go a long way. I made some absorption panels to behind my speakers and around the TV. See the post below if your interested. It took a day and about $120 in materials. What I got for my efforts was improved clarity from midbass up to the highs I didn't  hear before, well worth it. Next I'd like to try some diffusion behind me, but they are a little harder to DIY.

BTW I did a test first by hanging 4 towels layered on top of each from a coat hanger with some pegs as a quick test behind each speaker. You could try that before committing to buying anything.

Good luck!

• Like 1