Sign in to follow this  
Once Analog

Belt-Driven Turntable, The Best Option, (My Opinion)

Hi,

On first inspection, a direct-drive turntable is seen as the perfect system. The platter is centre driven (spins like a fan), motor wear is uniform, (good engineering principals).

However, in terms of musical reproduction, a second observation reveals a different story. The motor produces friction and vibration noise that is transfered through the spindle to the record surface and stylus, this results in loss of clarity.

One of the key factors in turntable design is motor isolation, the very reason why the suspended sub-chassis was developed.

For the enthuasiast that is a keen listener, a belt-driven turntable is the best option.

Regards, Vince

I better throw out my Garrard 401 then

FR

pass it on to me and I'll get it to the skip for you FR :)

For the enthuasiast that is a keen listener, a belt-driven turntable is the best option.

Oh...Sure thing ...says the man selling belt drives.

Are you trying to be "Ivor Tiefebrun" in 2010?

If you are, you have to try harder than that these days. There are cheap junk plastic light plater direct drives and then there are some well designed direct drives many of which were never seen outside of Japan. Your blanket statement does not wash.

Edited by jaspert

I have just been doing some reading on the Funk firm site and they have some very interesting solutions to the problems that belt drive can have.

All my turntables were belt drive suspended units and I loved them all , each presenting a different view of the music.

I think belt drive is still the simplest way of getting good sound but not necessarily the best way.

I better throw out my Garrard 401 then

FR

Have you got it in a plinth yet FR? You might as well not bother mate............stick it on ebay instead and go buy one of those superior bouncing belt drives!:)

Have you got it in a plinth yet FR? You might as well not bother mate............stick it on ebay instead and go buy one of those superior bouncing belt drives!:)

I have speaker cabinet projects coming up and will do the plinth at the same time Keith

In the end you use and listen to what tickles your fancy

Hence the upgrade or refurbish itch

FR

Well done on starting a healthy debate, Vince.

That's what makes SNA enjoyable.

Now where is my popcorn?

Cheers

wolster

I have speaker cabinet projects coming up and will do the plinth at the same time Keith

In the end you use and listen to what tickles your fancy

Hence the upgrade or refurbish itch

FR

Fair enough FR and good luck with your projects. BTW, I was only joking about getting rid of the Garrard mate!:)

Cheers,

Keith

Fair enough FR and good luck with your projects. BTW, I was only joking about getting rid of the Garrard mate!:(

Cheers,

Keith

Yeah Wal, it could get interesting.:) Over the past 40 years or so I've heard that argument put about belt drives, direct drives and rim drives etc being the best........... and you know something, they all thought they were right too, in their opinions of course!;)

Cheers,

Keith

Yea!!!!!! I have something that "is the best option"

At last I'm there and it cost me $40

I'm being silly - again - but it's good to see someone post so positively about their thoughts on a sometimes, 'don't go there,' subject.

Yeah Wal, it could get interesting.:) Over the past 40 years or so I've heard that argument put about belt drives, direct drives and rim drives etc being the best........... and you know something, they all thought they were right too, in their opinions of course!;)

Cheers,

Keith

Keith,

i can't make up my mind so i keep all 3 types...:(

Edited by jaspert

Yea!!!!!! I have something that "is the best option"

At last I'm there and it cost me $40

I'm being silly - again - but it's good to see someone post so positively about their thoughts on a sometimes, 'don't go there,' subject.

Congratulations mate, I've always enjoyed listening to your tuntable too.;)

Keith,

i can make up my mind so i keep all 3 types...:)

Yeah mate, if you can't make up your mind...............in your case, you're really making sure!!:(

......thats why I got a Linn Sondek lol:)

Edited by josh0571

My TT has a belt, but with all that sintered Gypsum it don't bounce, Rock steady too. :)

Thinking of doing some mods to my SL1200 see how good it can sound.

interesting review from Tone Audio of the Sound hifi moded sl1200

http://www.soundhifi.com/images/Tone%20SL-1200.pdf

Dude, you don't have time to be doing mods, nor posting on here for that matter... you're supposed to be getting my ebay order ready and shipping it out to me :)

Not going to get into the belt v direct drive debate.... they all have their positives and negatives.

LOL - sorry sir, just packing it now! they'll be there quick smart!!!

Yeah, get back to work Mr Vinyl Eye and stop mucking around posting here...............!!:)

Hahahahaha.... :)

My direct drive Sp-10 mkII is much better than my belt drive SL-BD20, therefore by my reckoning all direct driven turntables are better than all belt driven.

Seriously though, I'd question how much friction a direct drive motor adds to the equation. Most of the magnetic resistance in a DD is also seen in a BD, it's just been moved to the other end of a rubber band. In a BD you've really got a few extra sources of friction because there's a bearing in the motor + one in the turntable, plus both bearings are being pulled into their vertical walls by the rubber band - on DD there's just 1 bearing and it's being pushed down rather than pushed down + pulled by the rubber band. Besides, my old Rambler DD turntable seems to spin forever when you cut the power.

This thread has prompted me to post this thread on the idea of "the best". What is "the best" drive system for a turntable anyway, is it determined by the type of technology, the implementation, the overall set of compromises the designer chooses, the type of arm/cart used with the TT? How about the type of music you play or even your own musical preferences, or the synergy of each component?

Aren't there so many variables even in belt drive: position of the motor; 1 motor or 2, AC v DC, speed control of the motor, 1 belt, multiple belts, flat or round belts, vector drive, suspended or mass loaded, setup etc? Is it possible to make a definitive statement?

Hay just spoke to Larry Denham at TTWeights Audio he's just gone a wasted a few mill in R&D over there according to you Vince.

Hi,

Spindle friction noise also occurs in belt-driven turntables, but to a lesser degree. Remember to keep the bearing well lubricated and use the correct length drive-belt. The belt should be a loose fit without slipping.

Regards, Vince

Is it possible to make a definitive statement?

Perhaps Prof, but it would depend on which type you're selling me thinks!:)

Cheers,

Keith